Does Quantum Physics Suggest the Universe Requires a Mind?

In summary: ModIn summary, the conversation discusses the concept of mind entering the universe in relation to quantum physics. This idea is based on an interpretation of quantum mechanics called "consciousness causes collapse" and was popularized by mathematician John Von Neumann in his book "Mathematical Foundations of Quantum Mechanics." However, this interpretation has largely been abandoned due to advancements in the understanding of quantum mechanics, particularly in the area of decoherence. Several books have been written on this topic, including "Quantum Enigma" by Bruce Rosenblum and Fred Kuttner, "The Mind Matters" by David Hodgson, "Do We Really Understand Quantum Mechanics?" by Franck Laloë, and "Conscious Mind in the Physical World" by
captainnima
So question: I heard that according to quantum physics, we cannot have a universe without mind entering into it. I am trying to figure out what this even means. Any suggestions?

zahadat nima

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are referring to an interpretation of quantum mechanics called "consciousness causes collapse". You can look that up. In modern times, few physicists worry overmuch about quantum mechanical interpretations (unless that's their job, most physicists are content to shut up and calculate when it comes to QM), and fewer physicists ascribe to the consciousness causes collapse interpretation.

Honestly I have never heard of this before either but thank you for the post.

captainnima said:
Honestly I have never heard of this before either but thank you for the post.

Just to elaborate further with a bit of historical background.

This mind stuff entering into QM dates back to a very influential book written by the great mathematician - John Von Neumann - called - Mathematical Foundations of Quantum Mechanincs. QM is basically a theory of observations that appear here in the classical common-sense world. But exactly where one places that cut the theory is silent about - in fact Von-Neumann showed it can be placed pretty much anywhere. But if you trace it back the only place that's different is the mind of a conscious observer - so that's where he decided to place it. The idea didn't really catch on because it is rather wierd, leading to all sorts of absurdities especially these days with computers and the idea of storing the outcome of an observation in computer memory and looking at it years or even centuries later. But it did catch on with one very influential mathematical physicist - Wigner. Anyway Von-Neumann died young and it left Wigner carrying the torch for this backwater idea. But during this time much more work was done on the foundations of QM - particularly in the area of decoherence. When Wigner heard of some early work of Zueck on decoherence, where it showed there indeed was a place that was different - right after decoherence - he recognised it was no longer required and did a complete 180% and abandoned it.

So that's where it stands today - the reason for its introduction is no longer required and since it leads to a very weird view of the world, in fact similar to solipsism, very few take it seriously nowadays - it really is very very backwater.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes Evo and mfb
captainnima said:
I am trying to figure out what this even means. Any suggestions?
Generally, it is a good idea to also state where you have heard it, i.e. the source (if your remember it), because this makes it much more easy for people to address the question.

Because...

captainnima said:
So question: I heard that according to quantum physics, we cannot have a universe without mind entering into it.
(my bolding)

... I have never heard of any such thing ;). Welcome to Physics Forums, by the way!

DennisN said:
... I have never heard of any such thing ;).

Not in the serious literature - or even populist stuff written by those that know the facts.

However junk like 'What The Bleep Do We Know Anyway' is another matter.

Thanks
Bill

You can find discussions about mind entering the universe in the following books:
'Quantum Enigma' by Bruce Rosenblum and Fred Kuttner - https://global.oup.com/academic/product/quantum-enigma-9780199753819?cc=nz&lang=en&
'The Mind Matters' by David Hodgson - https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-mind-matters-9780198240686?cc=nz&lang=en&
'Do We Really Understand Quantum Mechanics?' by Franck Laloë [pgs 328 - 329 (Appendix A)] - http://www.cambridge.org/us/academi...ion/do-we-really-understand-quantum-mechanics
'Conscious Mind in the Physical World' by Euan Squires - https://www.amazon.com/dp/0750300450/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the concept of "mind entering the universe"?

The concept of "mind entering the universe" refers to the idea that our consciousness and thoughts have an impact on the world around us. It suggests that our minds are not separate from the universe, but rather deeply interconnected with it.

2. Is there scientific evidence to support the idea of mind entering the universe?

There is ongoing research in the fields of quantum mechanics and neuroscience that suggests that our thoughts and intentions can influence the physical world. However, the concept of mind entering the universe is still a topic of debate and further research is needed to fully understand its implications.

3. How does this concept relate to the law of attraction?

The law of attraction is based on the idea that our thoughts and beliefs can attract positive or negative experiences into our lives. This aligns with the concept of mind entering the universe, as it suggests that our thoughts have the power to manifest and shape our reality.

4. Can anyone learn to harness the power of mind entering the universe?

Some scientists believe that the mind entering the universe phenomenon is a natural aspect of human consciousness that we can all tap into. However, it may require training and practice to fully harness and control this power.

5. What are the potential implications of mind entering the universe?

If the concept of mind entering the universe is proven to be true, it could have significant implications for our understanding of consciousness, reality, and the interconnectedness of all things. It could also lead to new technologies and ways of thinking about our place in the universe.