Minimal mass from cosmological constant?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a relationship between the lightest neutrino mass and the cosmological constant. Some papers have explored this idea, suggesting that a minimum mass and density exist in nature due to the presence of a positive cosmological constant. However, it is unclear if these conclusions are valid and some speculate that this could explain cosmic inflation. It is also suggested that this relationship may only exist after electroweak symmetry breaking.
JollyJoker
I'm not sure in which forum this should go, but I hope this is close enough.

I recently realized that the lightest neutrino could be close in mass to the fourth root of the cosmological constant and found out I'm (unsurprisingly) not the first one to think of this after some googling. The first papers I found were somewhat interesting, but have few citations and their ideas seem to be ignored in most of the papers relating neutrino mass and cc.

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0509110"

"Abstract: We show that in the framework of the classical general relativity the presence of a positive cosmological constant implies the existence of a minimal mass and of a minimal density in nature. These results rigorously follow from the generalized Buchdahl inequality in the presence of a cosmological constant. "

http://www.springerlink.com/content/u510l1mg85p963r1/"

"Abstract A lower bound for the mass of a rotating body is derived in the general relativity theory with positive cosmological term Λ. The bound suggests a neutrino rest mass ∼1 meV and a neutrino magnetic moment of 10−41 erg/gauss ∼ Planck's magnetic moment. A connection between gravity and electroweak interaction is suggested. "

Would anyone know if these conclusions would be obviously wrong, based on unfounded assumptions or otherwise invalid? An inequality showing that a given cosmological constant requires a minimum rotating mass, or even more interestingly the other way around; existence of a massive rotating particle forces the cosmological constant to be at most a given value, seems more than a little useful for explaining the low value of the cc.

One could even speculate that this would explain cosmic inflation if the neutrino masses didn't exist before electroweak symmetry breaking.

Any thoughts on this? Too good to be true? Just plain wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know that you can backtrack this beyond the Higgs Mechanism, i.e. before electroweak symmetry breaking. This strikes me as an artifact of the math relating to the general concept IMO.

Related to Minimal mass from cosmological constant?

1. What is the concept of minimal mass in relation to the cosmological constant?

The concept of minimal mass in relation to cosmological constant refers to the minimum amount of matter needed to counteract the expansion of the universe caused by the cosmological constant. This mass is required to create a gravitational force that can balance the repulsive force of the cosmological constant.

2. How is the minimal mass calculated from the cosmological constant?

The minimal mass is calculated using the formula M = c^3/(4GΛ), where c is the speed of light, G is the gravitational constant, and Λ is the cosmological constant. This formula takes into account the properties of space and time and the strength of the cosmological constant to determine the minimum mass needed for gravitational balance.

3. Can the minimal mass be observed or measured?

No, the minimal mass cannot be directly observed or measured. It is a theoretical concept used in cosmology to understand the effects of the cosmological constant on the expansion of the universe. However, scientists can indirectly study the effects of the minimal mass through observations of the universe's expansion and the distribution of matter.

4. How does the value of the cosmological constant affect the minimal mass?

The value of the cosmological constant directly affects the minimal mass. A higher value of Λ would require a larger minimal mass to counteract its expansion, while a lower value of Λ would require a smaller minimal mass. This relationship between the cosmological constant and the minimal mass is crucial in understanding the dynamics of the universe.

5. Is the concept of minimal mass from the cosmological constant universally accepted?

While the concept of minimal mass from the cosmological constant is widely accepted among scientists, it is still a subject of ongoing research and debate. Some alternate theories, such as modified gravity theories, propose different explanations for the expansion of the universe and may not require a minimal mass from the cosmological constant. However, the concept of minimal mass remains a significant aspect of the standard cosmological model.