Minimizing Isosceles triangle with a circle inscribed

In summary, the conversation involves finding the smallest possible area of an isosceles triangle that has a circle of radius $r$ inside it. The approach involves using coordinate geometry and considering the line and the circle to have one point of intersection. The constraint is found by setting the discriminant of the resulting quadratic to zero, and the area of the triangle is expressed as a function of one variable. The final steps involve solving for the constraint equation and finding the derivative of the area function to find the minimum area.
Rido12 said:
I see now that the acute angle in both right triangles are the same...but it wasn't immediately obvious. I had to work out (arbitrary) angles in my head. Anyway to quickly notice that they're similar without working out angles? I know the clue is that they're both right triangles.

Go to the top vertex of the outer isosceles triangle, and then look at the angle up there to the right of the bisector. Do you see that both triangles share this angle? :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Rido12 said:
I know the clue is that they're both right triangles.

You need 2 clues: 2 angles that are the same.
The first is that they both have a right angle.
The other is that they have an angle in common. (Whew)

MarkFL said:
Go to the top vertex of the outer isosceles triangle, and then look at the angle up there to the right of the bisector. Do you see that both triangles share this angle? :D

I think I know what you're saying, but not really. "and then look at the angle up there to the right of the bisector." -where does that refer?

I see what ILS is saying...both triangles share the same top angle, and the right angle, meaning that the 3rd angle must be the same! :D

That's what I'm saying as well. :D

MarkFL said:
That's what I'm saying as well. :D

Did you really need the bisector of one of the interior angles, identifying the meridian, which is also the altitude, and the orthocenter, to explain how the other interior angles relate between the non-oblique triangles? (Rofl)

I like Serena said:
Did you really need the bisector of one of the interior angles, identifying the meridian, which is also the altitude, and the orthocenter, to explain how the other interior angles relate between the non-oblique triangles? (Rofl)

Explain in english? I really want to understand those terms. (Nerd)

Rido12 said:
Explain in english? I really want to understand those terms. (Nerd)

That is English!
I'm only looking them up because English isn't my native language.
In my language I would refer to the bisectrice, zwaartelijn, hoogtelijn, respectively middelloodlijn. But yeah, then I would have to explain in English. (Giggle)

It was a joke, :D. But I want to understand what you wrote. :eek:

I like your new title, ILS, but I do think it should be bolded in color. Btw, Mark, you're the best ADMIN EVER :D :D :D

I like Serena said:

Yes...yes I did. (Poolparty)

Rido12 said:
It was a joke, :D. But I want to understand what you wrote. :eek:

It's merely a set of definitions that applies to triangles.
If you don't know them yet, you're likely to learn them soon. ;)

A bisector is the line that divides an angle in 2 equal parts.
An altitude of an angle is the line that is perpendicular to the opposing side.
A meridian divides the opposing side into 2 equal parts.
An orthocenter is a perpendicular line that divides a side into 2 equal parts.

One of the amazing facts of geometry is that each of those concepts identify a unique point in a triangle.
That is, the 3 bisectors of a triangle meet in a single point. (Nerd)

Rido12 said:
I like your new title, ILS, but I do think it should be bolded in color. Btw, Mark, you're the best ADMIN EVER :D :D :D

I can't. Only admins can. (Doh)

That's kind of weird. Bisector is what divides an angle in two, whereas the perpendicular bisector is what divides a line in two, while being perpendicular to the line. One refers to the angle being cut in two, one refers to the line being cut in two. I always thought bisector was what cut a line segment in two...:(

Rido12 said:
That's kind of weird. Bisector is what divides an angle in two, whereas the perpendicular bisector is what divides a line in two, while being perpendicular to the line. One refers to the angle being cut in two, one refers to the line being cut in two. I always thought bisector was what cut a line segment in two...:(

From latin bi means two and sect means divide.
To bisect merely means to divide something into 2 equal parts. (Nerd)

In a triangle that is either the bisector of an angle, or the orthocenter or bisector of a side.
In numerical mathematics the bisection algorithm is an algorithm to find the zeroes of a function by dividing the interval surrounding a zero repeatedly into 2 equal size intervals. (Angel)

I may not be using the term correctly, but when a plane figure has bilateral symmetry, I will refer to the axis of symmetry as that object's bisector. :D

Thanks! I think I'm starting to remember this now...finding the circumcenter, orthocenter, or centroid of a triangle from grade 10.

Rido12 said:
Thanks! I think I'm starting to remember this now...finding the circumcenter, orthocenter, or centroid of a triangle from grade 10.

Ah! You did learn! You just conveniently forgot about it, presumably being bored by a teacher that spoke too fast, or with an accent, or some such (or you were just joking). (Smirk)

I like Serena said:
Ah! You did learn! You just conveniently forgot about it, presumably being bored by a teacher that spoke too fast, or with an accent, or some such. (Smirk)

Wow...I am rolling here! (Rofl)(Sweating)(Clapping)