Minimizing the voltage drop across a capacitor (solution shown)

In summary, the question is about understanding the derivation of the equation V1 = V0-V2 in the context of calculating minimum voltage and why V3 is not included in the equation. The solution involves using Kirchhoff's laws and the equation Q = Ceq*V to find the total potential difference.
Sunwoo Bae
Homework Statement
Shown in the text
Relevant Equations
Q = CV

capacitors in series
capacitors in parallel
The following is the question and the solution to the question.
1643444698737.png

I understand the solution to the part where you find the Ceq and derive Qeq from the equation Q = Ceq*V.
However, I do not understand where V1 = V0-V2 come from.
When calculating the minimum voltage, how do you come up with the equation V1 = V0-V2, and why is V3 not taken to account?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sunwoo Bae said:
I do not understand where V1 = V0-V2 come from.
given and total potential difference is always same.
Here given potential difference is ##V_0## and total potential difference is ##V_1+V_2##

So ##V_0=V_1+V_2##

Sunwoo Bae said:
Homework Statement:: Shown in the text
Relevant Equations:: Q = CV

capacitors in series
capacitors in parallel

The following is the question and the solution to the question.
View attachment 296217

I understand the solution to the part where you find the Ceq and derive Qeq from the equation Q = Ceq*V.
However, I do not understand where V1 = V0-V2 come from.
When calculating the minimum voltage, how do you come up with the equation V1 = V0-V2, and why is V3 not taken to account?
Are you familiar with Kirchhoff’s laws?

1. How does a capacitor minimize voltage drop?

A capacitor is an electrical component that stores and releases electrical energy. When placed in a circuit, it acts as a temporary source of voltage, helping to stabilize the overall voltage in the circuit and minimizing any voltage drops.

2. What factors affect the amount of voltage drop across a capacitor?

The amount of voltage drop across a capacitor is affected by its capacitance, the current flowing through the circuit, and the frequency of the current.

3. How can I calculate the voltage drop across a capacitor?

The voltage drop across a capacitor can be calculated using the formula V = I * t / C, where V is the voltage drop, I is the current, t is the time, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor.

4. What are some techniques for minimizing voltage drop across a capacitor?

Some techniques for minimizing voltage drop across a capacitor include using a capacitor with a higher capacitance, reducing the current flowing through the circuit, and using a higher frequency current.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to minimizing voltage drop across a capacitor?

One potential drawback of minimizing voltage drop across a capacitor is that it may increase the overall cost and complexity of the circuit. Additionally, using a higher frequency current may introduce unwanted noise or interference in the circuit.