What is the Relationship Between Voltage and Capacitors in a Series Circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses reviewing for an AP Physics C E&M exam by going through a PDF and watching a related video. The topic of discussion is part 2(a) of the PDF, which involves finding the voltage across a capacitor in a series circuit. The person is initially confused about why the voltage across the capacitor is equal to the source voltage, but it is explained that this is only the case in steady state, which can be reached at t=5RC or t=6RC. The equation for charge as a function of time, Q = CV(1-e^-t/RC), is also mentioned.
kd2amc

Homework Statement

I was going through this PDF on my own to review for my AP Physics C E&M exam: https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/...course=ap-physics-c-electricity-and-magnetism

I was also watching this video (which discusses the solutions):

The part I am stuck on is part 2(a) (it is hard for me to copy and paste the contents of the PDF into here).

(The solution to part 2(a) is at about 16 minutes into the video).

Homework Equations

Q=CV

The Attempt at a Solution

Why is voltage across C0 equal to V0? I understand how this be the case if the resistor R1 was not there (since voltages are the same for components connected in parallel); however, since the resistor is connected to the capacitor in series, I thought that the voltage V0 would be split across C0 and R1 (which means C0 would have a voltage less than V0). Why is this not the case?

Thank you so much for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
kd2amc said:
I thought that the voltage V0 would be split across C0 and R1 (which means C0 would have a voltage less than V0).
Yes, that will be the case when the capacitor is 'charging' i.e. the charge on the capacitor will be increasing with time. You need to find the equation for charge as a function of time.

cnh1995 said:
Yes, that will be the case when the capacitor is 'charging' i.e. the charge on the capacitor will be increasing with time. You need to find the equation for charge as a function of time.

Thank you for your help. According to my notes, the charge as a function of time is Q = CV(1-e^-t/RC). I'm not sure how to use this equation to conclude that the voltage across C0 = V0, though. Doesn't this equation actually imply that Q = 0 at time t=0?

kd2amc said:
Doesn't this equation actually imply that Q = 0 at time t=0?
Right.
kd2amc said:
that the voltage across C0 = V0
You get this condition at t=∞(mathematically) and that represents the steady state. In steady state, the current through the capacitor is zero, meaning that it is fully charged.

Practically, you don't need infinite time to reach steady state. It is assumed that the steady state is reached at t=5RC (or 6RC)(where RC is the time constant) since the capacitor will have more than 99% of its steady state voltage by that time.

Likes berkeman
Oh! I see now! Thank you!

Likes berkeman

What is voltage across capacitors?

Voltage across capacitors refers to the potential difference between the two plates of a capacitor, measured in volts (V). It is created by the accumulation of electric charge on the plates, which creates an electric field.

How is voltage across capacitors calculated?

Voltage across capacitors can be calculated using the formula V = Q/C, where V is the voltage (in volts), Q is the electric charge (in coulombs), and C is the capacitance (in farads). This formula shows that the voltage increases as the charge increases, but decreases as the capacitance increases.

What factors affect the voltage across capacitors?

The voltage across capacitors is affected by several factors, including the amount of charge stored on the plates, the capacitance of the capacitor, and the distance between the plates. Additionally, the type of dielectric material used in the capacitor can also impact the voltage.

Can voltage across capacitors be negative?

Yes, voltage across capacitors can be negative. This occurs when the polarity of the capacitor is reversed, meaning the negative plate has a higher potential than the positive plate. It can also happen when an alternating current is applied to the capacitor, causing the voltage to switch between positive and negative values.

What is the significance of voltage across capacitors in electronic circuits?

Voltage across capacitors is an important concept in electronic circuits as it allows for the storage of electric charge. This stored charge can then be used to power other components or to regulate the flow of current in the circuit. Furthermore, the voltage across capacitors can also affect the behavior of other components, such as resistors and inductors, in the circuit.