Minimum area foot land glider

In summary, to design a backpack deployable glider with minimal surface area, it is important to research hang glider airfoils, utilize resources such as the US Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association's website, and consider taking courses on aeronautical engineering.
jgeating
I am looking into how small (minimize surface area) a glider could be to be foot land. I would like to look into possibly designing and or building a backpack deployable glider, but first would just like to design a non-deployable glider with minimal surface area.

To do this, currently my only thought is to start at a typical hang glider. I would like to be able to look up specific data and specifications of modern (or older) hang gliders, primarily their airfoil, surface area, Cl to Cd ratio, Cl to wing area, and wing loading. Because modern hang gliders are designed to have good glide ratios, and thus high Cl to Cd ratios, my primary advantage would be that I can have a horrible Cl/Cd ratio, but a much better Cl/wing area ratio, allowing me to have a smaller wing. Also, I am assuming the pilot can land at around 10 mph, as opposed to full stops like most hang gliders. These two combined, I would like to see if it is possible to fit the corresponding wing in a backpack.

Could anyone give me any tips. For now, I would really like to know if there is a standard or primary resource for hang glider airfoils. For calculations, initially I just plan on keeping lift as a constant and varying the area, Cl/Cd, and Cl/area interchangeable to minimize area.

I am a second year mechanical engineer, but I would like to get more into aeronautical engineering. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
-Josh

Engineering news on Phys.org
When it comes to finding information about hang glider airfoils, one of the best resources available is the US Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association's website, which offers a wealth of information on all things related to hang gliding and paragliding. The website features a comprehensive database of hang glider airfoils that have been used in the past, as well as detailed descriptions of each type of airfoil and its characteristics. Additionally, the website also provides an online calculator that can be used to calculate the lift and drag coefficients for various airfoils. In terms of designing and building a backpack deployable glider with minimal surface area, another helpful resource is the National Free Flight Society's website, which provides detailed instructions on how to build your own hang glider. The website also features a list of components that are necessary for the design and construction of a hang glider, such as wings, fuselages, and control systems. Additionally, the website also offers instructions on how to measure and adjust the airfoil for optimal performance. Finally, if you are looking to take your hang gliding skills to the next level, there are a number of books and online courses available that teach the basics of aeronautical engineering and the principles of flight. These resources will give you the knowledge and skills necessary to design and build your own hang glider with minimal surface area.

1. What is a minimum area foot land glider?

A minimum area foot land glider is a type of aircraft that is designed to fly without an engine or any other external power source. It is propelled solely by the pilot's feet and can glide for long distances.

2. How does a minimum area foot land glider work?

A minimum area foot land glider works by utilizing the principles of aerodynamics and the pilot's body weight to generate lift and forward motion. The pilot's feet are attached to a set of pedals that control the movement of the glider's wings, allowing the pilot to control the direction and speed of the glider.

3. What makes a minimum area foot land glider different from other gliders?

A minimum area foot land glider is different from other gliders because it has a much smaller wing area, making it more compact and lightweight. This allows it to fly at slower speeds and in tighter spaces, making it ideal for use in areas with limited runway space.

4. What are the benefits of using a minimum area foot land glider?

The main benefit of using a minimum area foot land glider is its cost-effectiveness. Since it does not require any fuel or engine, it is much cheaper to operate compared to other types of aircraft. It also has a low environmental impact, as it produces no emissions and has a minimal noise level.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a minimum area foot land glider?

As with any aircraft, there are safety concerns with using a minimum area foot land glider. It requires proper training and skill to operate, and it is important for pilots to follow safety protocols and regulations. However, when operated correctly, minimum area foot land gliders are generally considered to be a safe mode of transportation.