Minimum diameter fluid dynamics

In summary: Exactly how you solved it, except I would have done it in the reverse to how you did it. Just because I could get the diameter in terms of variables I know the value of so that rounding errors would be reduced.
pat666

Homework Statement

A fire-hose must be able to shoot water to the top of a building 35.0 m tall when aimed straight up. Water enters this hose at a steady rate of 0.500 m³.s¯¹ and shoots out of a round nozzle.

(a) What is the maximum diameter that this nozzle can have? (4 marks)

(b) If the only nozzle available is twice as great, what is the highest point that the water can reach?

Homework Equations

Vcylinder=pir^2h
gh=1/2v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

first i found the initial velocity required which was 26.21m/s. then 0.5m^3/s=pi*r^2h/s therefore h/s is the velocity, then i solved that and got 15.6cm... For b i did basically the reverse and got 2.2m... Can someone please check this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your flow rate = A*velocity

A = cross-sectional area

so the cross sectional area of a cylinder is ?

hence 0.5=Av.

so what is v?

When you get that, your second equation will come into play now.

ok so I've assumed the hose is a cylinder... the given flow rate is 0.5m^3 per second so therefore 0.5m^3/s is equal to (pi r^2*h/)s ... h is in meters so h/s is the velocity(m/s) as it exits the hose. therefore 0.5=pi*r^2*v..... I am trying to solve this by logic and am unsure if its right. I am guessing that you do not agree with me??

pat666 said:
ok so I've assumed the hose is a cylinder... the given flow rate is 0.5m^3 per second so therefore 0.5m^3/s is equal to (pi r^2*h/)s ... h is in meters so h/s is the velocity(m/s) as it exits the hose. therefore 0.5=pi*r^2*v..... I am trying to solve this by logic and am unsure if its right. I am guessing that you do not agree with me??

oh sorry, you solved it the other way. I didn't read your post through, sorry.

Your first answer is correct, so your second answer should be correct.

ok cool thanks for that, just out of interest how do you solve these sort of problems?

pat666 said:
ok cool thanks for that, just out of interest how do you solve these sort of problems?

Exactly how you solved it, except I would have done it in the reverse to how you did it. Just because I could get the diameter in terms of variables I know the value of so that rounding errors would be reduced.

1. What is minimum diameter fluid dynamics?

Minimum diameter fluid dynamics is a branch of fluid mechanics that deals with the behavior and movement of fluids through the smallest possible channels or tubes. It involves studying the effects of fluid viscosity, pressure, and flow rate on the behavior of fluids in these narrow spaces.

2. What are some applications of minimum diameter fluid dynamics?

Minimum diameter fluid dynamics has various practical applications, such as in microfluidics, where it is used to design and optimize microscale devices for biomedical, chemical, and environmental purposes. It is also essential in the design of fuel injectors, inkjet printers, and other precision fluid delivery systems.

3. How is minimum diameter fluid dynamics different from traditional fluid dynamics?

Traditional fluid dynamics deals with the movement of fluids in larger systems, such as pipes and channels, while minimum diameter fluid dynamics focuses on the behavior of fluids in very small spaces. This means that the properties of the fluid, such as viscosity and surface tension, have a more significant impact on its behavior in minimum diameter systems compared to larger systems.

4. What are the challenges of studying minimum diameter fluid dynamics?

One of the main challenges in studying minimum diameter fluid dynamics is the difficulty in accurately measuring and controlling the flow of fluids in such small channels. Additionally, the behavior of fluids in these systems can be highly unpredictable and can vary depending on the specific geometry of the channel, making it challenging to develop general theories or models.

5. How is minimum diameter fluid dynamics relevant to everyday life?

Although it may not be immediately apparent, minimum diameter fluid dynamics plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It is essential in the design and functioning of various technologies that we use, such as medical devices, inkjet printers, and even the flow of blood through our capillaries. Understanding the behavior of fluids in these small spaces allows for the development of more efficient and precise systems that improve our daily lives.