What is the diameter of each hole in the shower head?

In summary, the conversation discusses a low-flow showerhead with 18 nozzle holes, a volume flow rate of 4.00 L/min, and maximum water speed of 2.70 m/s. The question is to find the diameter of each hole, taking into account the viscosity of water. The suggested equations are Q=Av_max, Q=((pi)r^2)v_max, Q=(pi(r^4)/8nl)*(deltaP), v_max=2Q/(pi(r^2)), and d=2r. The solution involves converting the given volume flow rate to m^3/s and finding the average velocity through each hole, which is related to the volumetric throughput rate per hole.
Galactium

Homework Statement

In a low-flow showerhead that contains 18 nozzle holes, the volume flow rate of the water is 4.00 L/min and the water maximum speed is 2.70 m/s.

What is the diameter of each hole? Do not ignore viscosity of water.

Homework Equations

Q=Av_max
Q=((pi)r^2)v_max
Q=(pi(r^4)/8nl)*(deltaP)
v_max=2Q/(pi(r^2))
d=2r

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Given:
Q:4L/min = 6.6667E-5 m^3/s
v_max=2.7 m/s
v_average=v_max/2
v_average=1.35 m/s
n(vescosity):8.90E-4

I am not quite sure where to start, I used the v_max equation, but I got the wrong answer. I know at some point I may need to divide by 18 for one nozzle.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the volumetric throughput rate per hole? What is the average velocity through each hole? How is the average velocity per hole related to the volumetric throughput rate per hole?

1. What is the standard diameter of a shower head hole?

The standard diameter of a shower head hole is typically around 2.5mm.

2. What is the purpose of having a specific diameter for shower head holes?

The diameter of shower head holes helps regulate the water flow and pressure, ensuring a comfortable and efficient shower experience.

3. Can the diameter of shower head holes be adjusted?

Some shower heads come with adjustable nozzles that allow you to change the diameter of the holes and customize your shower experience.

4. Does the material of the shower head affect the diameter of the holes?

While the material of the shower head can impact the overall design and durability, it does not necessarily affect the diameter of the holes. The diameter is determined by the manufacturer and can vary between different models.

5. Are there any regulations or standards for the diameter of shower head holes?

In the United States, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has set standards for shower head flow rates, but there are no regulations specifically for the diameter of the holes. However, shower heads must meet certain criteria to be considered WaterSense certified by the EPA.