Minimum distance between two perpendicular moving vehicles

In summary, the minimum distance between two perpendicular moving vehicles is typically determined by the length of the vehicles, their speed, and the reaction time of the drivers. It is recommended to maintain a distance of at least 20 feet to ensure safety and allow for unexpected movements. While there is no specific legal requirement, most states have laws that require drivers to maintain a safe distance from other vehicles. Failure to maintain a safe distance can result in collisions or accidents. Other factors such as weather conditions, road conditions, driver distractions, and the type of vehicles involved can also affect the minimum distance. It is important for drivers to always be aware of their surroundings and adjust their speed and distance accordingly.
KNT
Homework Statement
What is the minimum distance between two vehicles moving perpendicularly toward each other?
Relevant Equations
d = vt
Below is my solution, which I'm not sure is correct. Hopefully the picture shows clearly what I'm trying to find.
separation-resized.gif

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. You can also see that the limits ## v_1\rightarrow 0 ## and ## v_2\rightarrow 0 ## make sense.

If you read the question literally, the answer is obvious. But I don't think that's the answer they're looking for.

Hint:

Last edited:

What is the definition of minimum distance between two perpendicular moving vehicles?

The minimum distance between two perpendicular moving vehicles is the shortest distance that should be maintained between the two vehicles to ensure safe and efficient movement on the road.

Why is it important to maintain a minimum distance between two perpendicular moving vehicles?

Maintaining a minimum distance between two perpendicular moving vehicles is crucial for several reasons. It helps prevent accidents and collisions, allows for safe passing and turning, and gives drivers enough time to react to unexpected situations.

How is the minimum distance between two perpendicular moving vehicles determined?

The minimum distance between two perpendicular moving vehicles is determined by various factors such as the speed of the vehicles, the weight and size of the vehicles, road conditions, and weather conditions. Generally, the distance is calculated based on the stopping distance of the vehicles.

What are the consequences of not maintaining the minimum distance between two perpendicular moving vehicles?

Failing to maintain the minimum distance between two perpendicular moving vehicles can result in accidents, collisions, and traffic violations. It can also lead to fines and penalties, as it is considered a form of reckless driving.

Are there any tips for maintaining the minimum distance between two perpendicular moving vehicles?

Some tips for maintaining the minimum distance between two perpendicular moving vehicles include following the speed limit, avoiding distractions while driving, and leaving enough space between your vehicle and the one in front of you. It is also important to regularly check and maintain your vehicle's brakes and tires.