Minimum Energy for Bragg Reflection in Cubic Crystals

In summary, a cubic crystal with a spacing between atoms of d = 0.2 nm requires a minimum energy of E = nhc/(2dsinθ) in order for non-trivial Bragg reflection to occur with a peak at n = 1. This can be calculated using the formula E = (n(nhc))/2d, where n is the order of the peak, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and θ is the angle of incidence.
nmsurobert

Homework Statement

A cubic crystal has a spacing between atoms of d = 0.2 nm. What is the minimum energy for X-rays such that non-trivial Bragg reflection may occur (peak with n =1)?
Write your answer in units of keV.

Homework Equations

2dsinθ = nλ

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea what I am doing. i don't remember the instructor talking about this nor can i find lecture notes on bragg reflection.
the only reason i know the "relevant equation" is because of a class i took semester where we did an experiment to show bragg reflection.

any advice would be appreciated. the second question is similar to this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
i found E = nhc/(2dsinθ)

if 2dsinθ = nλ then i do this ... E = (n(nhc))/2d and just plug numbers in?

What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It can exist in many forms, such as mechanical, thermal, electrical, and chemical. It is an essential concept in physics and is often measured in units of joules (J).

What is Bragg reflection?

Bragg reflection is a phenomenon that occurs when X-rays or other electromagnetic radiation are scattered by a crystal lattice. The scattered waves interfere with each other, producing a pattern that can be used to determine the structure of the crystal.

How does energy affect Bragg reflection?

The energy of the radiation used in Bragg reflection is crucial in determining the angle at which the waves will be scattered. The energy must match the spacing between the atoms in the crystal for the interference pattern to be produced.

What are some practical applications of Bragg reflection?

Bragg reflection is used in various fields, including materials science, geology, and medical imaging. It is a valuable tool for determining the atomic and molecular structure of substances, which can provide insights into their properties and behavior.

What are the limitations of Bragg reflection?

Bragg reflection is limited by the type of radiation used, as well as the size and quality of the crystal being studied. Additionally, it can only provide information about the periodic structure of the crystal, not its non-periodic features.