Minimum force before a system of two blocks will move

In summary: I should always start with this step; for some reason, I assumed the problem was trivial and decided to avoid the diagram. I doubt I'll do this again.Having drawn the diagram, I can see the following forces acting on the block of mass ##M## as we apply force ##F## to it in the direction shown on the image:The force of friction exerted by the ground - ##39.2 N##The force of friction exerted by block M - ##17.64 N##The force of tension in the ropeThe force of tension acting on block ##M## is equal to the force of tension in the rope acting on block ##m##, which in turn is equal to the force
marksyncm

Homework Statement

upload_2018-10-27_14-38-34.png

[/B]
##m=3kg##
##M=2kg##
Coefficient of static friction between m and M ##\mu_1 = 0.6##
Coefficient of static friction between M and the ground ##\mu_2 = 0.8##.

The rope is weightless, does not stretch, and the wheel is frictionless.

What is the maximum force ##F## that can be exerted before the system moves?

Homework Equations

##Friction = \mu F_N##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My reasoning: because the two blocks are attached together, if one of them moves, then so does the other. This means that the only way the blocks will move is if the larger of the two friction forces is overcome. In this case, the larger friction force is the one between block M and the ground, which equals ##F_N * \mu_2 = 9.8 * (3+2) * 0.8 = 39.2 N##. Meaning we must apply ##39.2 N## of force before the blocks will move.

Is this correct?

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-27_14-38-34.png
    upload_2018-10-27_14-38-34.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 579
Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have ignored that the top block exerts a force on the bottom block.

Likes marksyncm
As we apply a force to object ##M##, the rope pulls on object ##m## towards the left, causing a force of friction from block ##M## onto block ##m## pointing towards the right, and an equal and opposite friction force from block ##m## onto block ##M##. As a result, to move the system, we need to overcome the two combined friction forces:

$$3g\mu_1 + 5g\mu_2 = 17.64 + 39.2 = 56.84 N$$

Is this correct?

It looks like you ignored the tension. Draw a free body diagram of the combined two-mass system and you will see what I mean.

Likes marksyncm
Draw a free body diagram of the combined two-mass system and you will see what I mean.

Thank you. I should always start with this step; for some reason, I assumed the problem was trivial and decided to avoid the diagram. I doubt I'll do this again.

Having drawn the diagram, I can see the following forces acting on the block of mass ##M## as we apply force ##F## to it in the direction shown on the image:

• The force of friction exerted by the ground - ##39.2 N##
  • The force of friction exerted by block ##m## - ##17.64 N##
  • The force of tension in the rope
The force of tension acting on block ##M## is equal to the force of tension in the rope acting on block ##m##, which in turn is equal to the force of friction exerted by block ##M## onto block ##m##. So in total, the three forces counteracting the pulling force ##F## are ##17.64 + 17.64 + 39.2 = 74.48 N##. Applying a force greater than ##74.48 N## will move the blocks.

Is that correct?

marksyncm said:
Thank you. I should always start with this step; for some reason, I assumed the problem was trivial and decided to avoid the diagram. I doubt I'll do this again.

Having drawn the diagram, I can see the following forces acting on the block of mass ##M## as we apply force ##F## to it in the direction shown on the image:

• The force of friction exerted by the ground - ##39.2 N##
  • The force of friction exerted by block ##m## - ##17.64 N##
  • The force of tension in the rope
The force of tension acting on block ##M## is equal to the force of tension in the rope acting on block ##m##, which in turn is equal to the force of friction exerted by block ##M## onto block ##m##. So in total, the three forces counteracting the pulling force ##F## are ##17.64 + 17.64 + 39.2 = 74.48 N##. Applying a force greater than ##74.48 N## will move the blocks.

Is that correct?
Right.
You can make the arithmetic a bit easier by keeping g out as a factor until the end.

Likes marksyncm
Thank you.

1. What is the minimum force required to move a system of two blocks?

This is known as the minimum force theorem and it states that the minimum force needed to move a system of two blocks is equal to the weight of the top block plus the coefficient of friction between the two blocks multiplied by the weight of the bottom block.

2. How do I calculate the coefficient of friction for two blocks?

The coefficient of friction can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force between the two blocks. The normal force can be found by multiplying the weight of the bottom block by the cosine of the angle between the two blocks.

3. Can the minimum force required to move a system of two blocks change?

Yes, the minimum force can change depending on factors such as the weight of the blocks, the coefficient of friction, and the angle between the two blocks.

4. Does the surface between the two blocks affect the minimum force?

Yes, the surface between the two blocks can affect the minimum force required to move them. A smoother surface will have a lower coefficient of friction, resulting in a lower minimum force.

5. Is the minimum force theorem applicable to all systems of two blocks?

No, the minimum force theorem is only applicable to systems where there is no net external force acting on the blocks and the blocks are at rest before the force is applied. It also assumes that the surface between the blocks is flat and there is no slipping between the blocks.