Minimum Force of 86N to Move Two Blocks

In summary: F_{fb} = \mu_s (m_{bottom}+m_{top})g + m_{top}g ##That is, the mass of the top block should be added to the mass of the bottom block when you are calculating the normal force.
bsvh
7Ocu4nnl.png

1. Homework Statement

A 3.0-kg block sits on top of a 5.0-kg block which is on a horizontal surface. The 5.0-kg block is pulled to the right with a force ##\vec{F}##. The coefficient of static friction between all surfaces is 0.63 and the kinetic coefficient is 0.38. What is the minimum value of F needed to move the two blocks?

Homework Equations

##\|\vec{F}_{fs}\| = \mu_s \|\vec{N}\|##[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

##\sum F_{bottom} = F_{external} - T - F_{fb}##
## F_{fb} = \mu_s(m_{bottom}+m_{top})g + m_{top}g ##
##\sum F_{top} = T - F_{ft}##
## F_{ft} = \mu_sm_{top}g ##
## \sum F = F_{external} - T - F_{fb} + T - F_{ft} = F_{external} - F_{fb} - F_{ft} = 0 ##
## F_{external} = F_{fb} + F_{ft} = \mu_sg((m_{bottom}+m_{top}) + 2m_{top} )##

After plugging in all the numbers:

## F_{external} = 86N ##

86N is the right answer, but it seems odd to me because I essentially counted the friction between the two surfaces twice. Is it just the case that the frictional force between two surfaces moving across each other in opposite directions is twice that of when one of the surfaces isn't moving?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First off, a diagram would be most helpful. I was able to guess how things are arranged, but realize the only time you mention the pulley is in the thread title.

bsvh said:
86N is the right answer, but it seems odd to me because I essentially counted the friction between the two surfaces twice.
You used it twice only because the friction between the blocks acts on each block, and you analyzed each block separately.

bsvh said:
Is it just the case that the frictional force between two surfaces moving across each other in opposite directions is twice that of when one of the surfaces isn't moving?
No, why would you think that?

Doc Al said:
First off, a diagram would be most helpful. I was able to guess how things are arranged, but realize the only time you mention the pulley is in the thread title.
You are right. I added one.

Doc Al said:
No, why would you think that?

Because the total amount of friction between the two blocks is the friction between the bottom block and the top block, and the friction between the top block and the bottom block. If one of the blocks couldn't move you would only have the one force of friction.

bsvh said:
Because the total amount of friction between the two blocks is the friction between the bottom block and the top block, and the friction between the top block and the bottom block. If one of the blocks couldn't move you would only have the one force of friction.
The force of friction is an interaction between two surfaces. The two surfaces exert equal and opposite friction forces on each other, regardless of motion.

Doc Al said:
The force of friction is an interaction between two surfaces. The two surfaces exert equal and opposite friction forces on each other, regardless of motion.

Does this mean that the forces of friction would cancel each other out if there wasn't a pulley, because they are equal and opposite? Edit: I'm thinking not because we analyse each block individually.

Also, when you say regardless of motion, what exactly do you mean?

Let's say that there is only the bottom block without the pulley. In this case, the friction between this block and the ground would be ##\mu_smg##. This is force of friction the ground exerts on the block, correct? Is there a force of friction that the block is exerting on the ground?

Edit: Maybe this will help with my original question.
dnWsxXF.png

Is the total friction of these two cases the same, assuming the ground is frictionless in the top case? Maybe I shouldn't use the term friction. In other words, would the required force acting on the blocks to get A and B moving in the top case, and A moving in the bottom case, be the same?

Last edited:
Friction is governed by the relative motion of the surfaces.

One body can exert a force on another only if the other body exerts an equal and opposite reaction force. This applies to all forces, friction is no exception.

You can't push on something with force F unless it pushes back with an equal opposing force. Try it.

bsvh said:
View attachment 173613

1. Homework Statement

A 3.0-kg block sits on top of a 5.0-kg block which is on a horizontal surface. The 5.0-kg block is pulled to the right with a force ##\vec{F}##. The coefficient of static friction between all surfaces is 0.63 and the kinetic coefficient is 0.38. What is the minimum value of F needed to move the two blocks?

Homework Equations

##\|\vec{F}_{fs}\| = \mu_s \|\vec{N}\|##[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

##\sum F_{bottom} = F_{external} - T - F_{fb}##
## F_{fb} = \mu_s(m_{bottom}+m_{top})g + m_{top}g ##
##\sum F_{top} = T - F_{ft}##
## F_{ft} = \mu_sm_{top}g ##
## \sum F = F_{external} - T - F_{fb} + T - F_{ft} = F_{external} - F_{fb} - F_{ft} = 0 ##
## F_{external} = F_{fb} + F_{ft} = \mu_sg((m_{bottom}+m_{top}) + 2m_{top} )##

After plugging in all the numbers:

## F_{external} = 86N ##

86N is the right answer, but it seems odd to me because I essentially counted the friction between the two surfaces twice. Is it just the case that the frictional force between two surfaces moving across each other in opposite directions is twice that of when one of the surfaces isn't moving?

I think that when you were calculating Force of friction for the bottom you were trying to say:

## F_{fb} = \mu_s ((m_{bottom}+m_{top})g + m_{top}g) ##

What is the concept of "Minimum Force of 86N to Move Two Blocks"?

The concept of "Minimum Force of 86N to Move Two Blocks" refers to the minimum amount of force required to move two blocks that are in contact with each other. This force is necessary to overcome the static friction between the two blocks and initiate their movement.

Why is the minimum force of 86N important?

The minimum force of 86N is important because it is the threshold force required to overcome the static friction between two blocks and initiate their movement. Without this force, the blocks will remain in their stationary position and no movement will occur.

What factors affect the minimum force of 86N?

The minimum force of 86N can be affected by various factors such as the weight and surface area of the blocks, the coefficient of friction between the blocks and the surface they are on, and the angle at which the force is applied.

How is the minimum force of 86N calculated?

The minimum force of 86N can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the force required, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force between the two blocks. The coefficient of friction can be determined experimentally or by knowing the materials and surfaces in contact.

What are some real-world applications of the minimum force of 86N?

The concept of minimum force of 86N is applicable in various real-world scenarios such as pushing a heavy object, sliding a drawer, or moving furniture. It is also important in engineering and design, as it helps determine the necessary force and materials needed to move objects in different situations.