Friction Force on 2 blocks on a frictionless surface....

In summary: I made the all steps,like making a referance frame drawing forces and finding a and then N ok I ll type them just wait a secI guess there's something wrong in our equation. we said ##(M+m)a=\frac {mg} {μ}## so ##a=\frac {mg} {(M+m)μ}## then ##N=ma## then ##F=\mu N## then ##F=\mu ma## then ##F=\frac {\mu^2mg} {(M+m)μ}## then ##F=\frac {\mu mg} {M+m}##What you said is correct. The question is: What is the acceleration of the system? Your answer for ##
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The two blocks ##(m=16 kg)## and ##(M=88 kg )## , are not attached to each other.The coefficient of static friction between the blocks is ##μ=0.33##, but the surface beneath the larger block is frictionless.What is the minimum magnitude of the horizontal force ##\vec F## required to keep the smaller block from slipping down the larger block ?

Homework Equations

##\vec {F_t}=m\vec a##
##F_f=μN##

The Attempt at a Solution

I made a free body diagram for m and M.Picture in attached files.
So I cannot find ##F_{mM}## or ##F_{Mm}## And ıf this was true M should move right but we don't know acceleration of ##M##. Is there some other force that I don't know ?

Thanks

Attachments

• Friction 2.png
    Friction 2.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 485
  • Friction 3.png
    Friction 3.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 475
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) If you apply a horizontal force to ##m##, what will happen to the system?

2) What would happen if the larger block were fixed to the ground? Could you calculate the required horizontal force on ##m## in this case?

What information do you know when the small block is right at the point of slipping - but does not slip downward?

Edit: Sorry PeroK. (Stupid autocorrect.) I should have left it alone but didn't notice you posted until after I posted.

PeroK said:
1) If you apply a horizontal force to ##m##, what will happen to the system?

2) What would happen if the larger block were fixed to the ground? Could you calculate the required horizontal force on ##m## in this case?

1)I guess system will move ?

2)Required horizontal force for what ? I didnt understand ohh If u mean what I mean then ##F=\frac {mg} {μ}##

Arman777 said:
1)I guess system will move ?

2)Required horizontal force for what ? I didnt understand ohh If u mean what I mean then ##F=\frac {mg} {μ}##

Can you put those two things together?

Hint: in the case where ##M## moves why is most of the applied force transmitted though ##m## to ##M##?

TomHart said:
What information do you know when the small block is right at the point of slipping - but does not slip downward?

Edit: Sorry PeroK. (Stupid autocorrect.) I should have left it but didn't notice you posted until after I posted.

Well the friction force should be equal to Weight.The friction force depends the ##N## and that depends the ##F## and I guess ##F_{Mm}##

PeroK said:
Can you put those two things together?

Hint: in the case where ##M## moves why is most of the applied force transmitted though ##m## to ##M##?

Cause M has bigger mass ?

well I can I guess but I need acceleration I guess which I don't have that info ##(M+m)a=\frac {mg} {μ}##

Arman777 said:
Cause M has bigger mass ?

well I can I guess but I need acceleration I guess which I don't have that info ##(M+m)a=\frac {mg} {μ}##

Even if a number in not given in the problem, you can still use that quantity. In this case, you can still consider the acceleration. It might tell you something about the forces involved. So:

##a = ?##

PeroK said:
Even if a number in not given in the problem, you can still use that quantity. In this case, you can still consider the acceleration. It might tell you something about the forces involved. So:

##a = ?##

I guess I see your point wait I ll solve I ll find a then from there I ll find ##F_{Mm}## then I ll find ##F## right ?

Arman777 said:
I guess I see your point wait I ll solve I ll find a then from there I ll find ##F_{Mm}## then I ll find ##F## right ?

That's the idea.

Likes Arman777
PeroK said:
That's the idea.

I solved it thanks

Or wait I have to ask something.I am so tired I thought I can figure it out but I have to ask.

##F_{mM}=Ma## isn't this correct cause according to the question and my tryings it should be ##ma##.

Why ##ma## but not ##Ma## ?

Arman777 said:
Or wait I have to ask something.I am so tired I thought I can figure it out but I have to ask.

##F_{mM}=Ma## isn't this correct cause according to the question and my tryings it should be ##ma##.

Why ##ma## but not ##Ma## ?

There's more to it than that.

One observation is that you seem to be trying to jump straight to the answer from half way through. This is not an easy problem and it has maybe 4-5 calculations in it. There's no way to jump to the answer.

Perhaps you've started to do physics now at a slightly higher level. One aspect of harder problems is that you have a longer chain of calculations to get the answer.

Anyway, in this case, the first step is to express ##a## in terms of ##F, M## and ##m##.

PeroK said:
There's more to it than that.

One observation is that you seem to be trying to jump straight to the answer from half way through. This is not an easy problem and it has maybe 4-5 calculations in it. There's no way to jump to the answer.

Perhaps you've started to do physics now at a slightly higher level. One aspect of harder problems is that you have a longer chain of calculations to get the answer.

Anyway, in this case, the first step is to express ##a## in terms of ##F, M## and ##m##.
I made the all steps,like making a referance frame drawing forces and finding a and then N ok I ll type them just wait a sec

I guess there's something wrong in our equation.

we said ##(M+m)a=\frac {mg} {μ}## This is also equal ##F## (that we said),so we can find easily a here cause we know M and m and g and μ.
And If F=(M+m)a which its something like 476 which that's not the answer ??

I am so tired.I don't know this is true or not but I ll go to sleep

I would attack this problem in this order:
(1) What friction force is required between the blocks?
(2) What normal force (between the blocks) is thus needed?
(3) What acceleration is thus produced?

And so on.

(1)##F=μN##
(2)well I guess ##ma=F-N-F_{Mm}## from there ##N## equals to zero I guess but its wrong so ##a##should be zero I guess ??
or ##N=F-F_{Mm}## but this means there's no acceleration.
(3)##F=(M+m)a##

Arman777 said:
(1)##F=μN##
What must the friction force equal so that the block does not slip down?

Doc Al said:
What must the friction force equal so that the block does not slip down?
weight which is ##mg##

Arman777 said:
weight which is ##mg##
Right. Now answer my question #2.

Doc Al said:
Right. Now answer my question #2.

I already did

Arman777 said:
I already did
Do it again. Use your answer from question #1 to answer #2. (Your previous answer of N = zero is clearly wrong!)

Are u talking about ##N=\frac {mg} {μ}##

The total force acting on m is ##ma## which should be equal to the sum of the force on horizontally.Theres F and N.

##ma=F-N##
##N=F-ma## ??

Do a force analysis of the big mass M.

##F_{mM}=Ma##

Arman777 said:
##F_{mM}=Ma##
What does ##F_{mM}## equal? (Consider your answers to questions #1 and #2.)

Doc Al said:
What does ##F_{mM}## equal? (Consider your answers to questions #1 and #2.)
Theres no connection just there's ##F_{mM}## in N

as I said If ##N=F-ma-Ma## we get zero If I can write N I ll sove the queston.Just Idk why I can't write it.I am so annoying I know.

Arman777 said:
Are u talking about ##N=\frac {mg} {μ}##
Good! Use it.

Arman777 said:
The total force acting on m is ##ma## which should be equal to the sum of the force on horizontally.Theres F and N.

##ma=F-N##
##N=F-ma## ??
This is OK, but unhelpful. Instead, apply Newton's 2nd law to M instead of m.

I ll ask my prof next semester...Thanks

Arman777 said:
I ll ask my prof next semester...Thanks
Don't give up. You are very close to the solution!

You applied Newton's 2nd law to mass m. OK. Now apply it to mass M. (And make use of the value you already found for N.)

Is ##N= F_{mM}## ??

Arman777 said:
Is ##N= F_{mM}## ??
Of course! (And you found N already.)

Doc Al said:
Of course! (And you found N already.)

Finally

Ok I solved.Thx

1. What is friction force?

Friction force is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it is in contact with another object or surface.

2. How is friction force measured?

Friction force can be measured using a spring scale or a force sensor. The force needed to overcome the friction and keep the object in motion is equal to the friction force.

3. Why are there two blocks in this scenario?

The presence of two blocks allows for the comparison of friction forces between two objects with different masses and surfaces. It also helps to demonstrate the concept of Newton's Third Law of Motion.

4. Why is the surface considered frictionless?

In this scenario, the surface is considered frictionless to isolate the effect of friction force between the two blocks. This allows for a more accurate measurement of the friction force between the blocks.

5. How does the magnitude of friction force change with different masses and surfaces?

The magnitude of friction force depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact and the normal force between the two objects. The greater the normal force, the greater the friction force. The type of surface also affects the friction force, with rougher surfaces producing greater friction force compared to smoother surfaces.