Minimum Initial Velocity for Deuterium Fusion in Center-of-Mass Frame

• Thread starter akmphy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the minimum initial velocity of two deuterium nuclei in order to overcome the Coulomb force and achieve fusion. The necessary distance for fusion is 1 × 10−14 m. The permittivity of free space, mass and charge of protons, neutrons, and electrons are provided. The question asks for the answer in units of m/s. The homework equation provided is 2mv.5(v)=ka/rm and the separation between the nuclei is denoted as r. The person asking for help does not know how to begin and is looking for assistance.
akmphy
Please help me with this!

Two deuterium nuclei overcome the Coulomb
force of repulsion and attain the necessary
1 × 10−14 m distance for fusion.
What is the minimum initial velocity of
each nuclei, as measured in the center-of-
mass frame? The permittivity of free space
is 8.85419 × 10−12 C2/N · m2, the mass of a
proton is 1.67262 × 10−27 kg, the mass of a
neutron 1.67493 × 10−27 kg and the charge
on an electron −1.60218 × 10−19 C.
Answer in units of m/s.

2. Homework Equations
I do not know how to do this:
2mv.5(v)=ka/rm
r=separation b/w nuclei

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I am more than willing to work this out with someone. Usually I have an attempt; however, I believe I have no where to begin. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

What's the mass of a deuterium nucleus? What's its charge?

What's the potential energy due to the Coulomb field for two deuterium nuclei at the specified separation?

Related to Minimum Initial Velocity for Deuterium Fusion in Center-of-Mass Frame

What does "Please help me with this" mean?

"Please help me with this" is a request for assistance or support with a specific task or problem. It can also indicate a need for clarification or guidance on a particular topic.

Why do people ask for help?

People may ask for help because they do not have the necessary knowledge or skills to complete a task on their own. They may also be facing a difficult challenge and need support from others to overcome it.

What can I do to effectively ask for help?

To effectively ask for help, be specific about what you need assistance with and provide any relevant information or context. Be polite and respectful in your request, and thank the person for their help afterwards.

How can I be a good helper?

To be a good helper, actively listen to the person's request and try to understand their perspective. Offer support and guidance without judgement or criticism. Remember to respect their boundaries and limitations, and be patient and empathetic.

Is it okay to ask for help?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help when needed. It shows self-awareness and a willingness to learn and improve. Seeking help is a sign of strength, not weakness.