Minimum output e.m.f. of the power source

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the equations V=IR and 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 +... in calculating the resistance and voltage across a cable consisting of two wires. The individual steps for finding the correct answer (C) are also mentioned, with the final realization that the wires are in series, not parallel.
Janiceleong26

Homework Statement

image.jpg

Homework Equations

V=IR
For resistors connected in parallel, 1/R =1/R1 + 1/R2 +...

The Attempt at a Solution

I first calculated the resistance of the the cable which consists of two wires,
1/R= 1/0.0050 + 1/0.0050
R = 2.5x10^-3 x 800
= 2 Ω
Then I calculate the voltage across the cable, V=0.060x2= 0.12V
So the total p.d would be 0.12V+16.0V=16.12V, and I chose A, but the correct answer is C. Why?
Please help, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Janiceleong26 said:

Homework Equations

V=IR
For resistors connected in parallel, 1/R =1/R1 + 1/R2 +...
One of the wires in the cable carries current toward the relay and one carries the current back toward the power supply, right? If you drew that as a circuit diagram, would that makes those wires parallel or series?

jbriggs444 said:
One of the wires in the cable carries current toward the relay and one carries the current back toward the power supply, right? If you drew that as a circuit diagram, would that makes those wires parallel or series?
Oh right! It's series. I misread the question. I've figured out the answer already. Thank you!

What is the minimum output e.m.f. of a power source?

The minimum output e.m.f. of a power source refers to the minimum electromotive force (e.m.f.) that is required for the power source to provide a stable and usable output. It is the lowest amount of energy that the power source can supply to a circuit without dropping below a certain threshold.

Why is the minimum output e.m.f. of a power source important?

The minimum output e.m.f. is important because it determines the reliability and stability of the power source. If the e.m.f. drops below the minimum, the power source may not be able to provide enough energy to power the circuit, resulting in a loss of function or even damage to the circuit.

How is the minimum output e.m.f. of a power source determined?

The minimum output e.m.f. of a power source is determined through testing and measurement. This involves analyzing the internal components and characteristics of the power source, such as its internal resistance and voltage regulation, to determine the minimum amount of e.m.f. it can provide.

What factors can affect the minimum output e.m.f. of a power source?

The minimum output e.m.f. of a power source can be affected by various factors, including the type and quality of the power source, its age and condition, the load being placed on the power source, and external factors such as temperature and humidity.

How can the minimum output e.m.f. of a power source be improved?

The minimum output e.m.f. of a power source can be improved by using high-quality components and materials, maintaining the power source regularly, and reducing the load on the power source. Additionally, using power sources with higher output ratings can also improve the minimum e.m.f. provided.