Minimum resistance to prevent overheating in AC circuit

In summary, there was a discrepancy between the student's calculation and the answer key for a given problem involving resistance. While the student's calculation resulted in a resistance of 8.2 ohms, the answer key used a different value for current, which led to a different answer. It is unclear why the answer key did not use the correct value for current, but it is possible that it was a mistake. It is recommended to consult with the instructor or check for errata on the book publisher's website for clarification on the issue.
songoku
Homework Statement
An alternating current supply is connected in series with a resistor R. The variation with time t (measured in seconds) of the current I (measured in amps) in the resistor is given by the expression I = 9.9 sin(380t). To prevent over-heating, the mean power dissipated in resistor R must not exceed 400 W. Calculate the minimum resistance of R
Relevant Equations
mean power = ##I_{rms}^2 \times R##
My calculation: ##400=\left(\frac{9.9}{\sqrt{2}}\right)^2 R## and I got R = 8.2 ohm

But the answer key used Io (9.9 A) instead of Irms

Why?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct(8.2Ω). It's a mistake in the 'answer key' - it sometimes happens.

Likes songoku and scottdave
It would only be speculation on my part as to "why" they did not use RMS current. Books make mistakes sometimes. Did you ask your instructor about it? Does the book publisher have a website for errata?

Likes songoku
scottdave said:
It would only be speculation on my part as to "why" they did not use RMS current. Books make mistakes sometimes. Did you ask your instructor about it? Does the book publisher have a website for errata?
I haven't asked him, I just did the practice myself. The question is not from book, it is given by the teacher and on the last page there is working and answer to help the students.

Thank you very much for the help Steve4Physics and scottdave

Likes Steve4Physics

1. What is minimum resistance in an AC circuit?

In an AC circuit, minimum resistance refers to the minimum amount of resistance that is needed to prevent overheating of the circuit. This is important because too much resistance can cause the circuit to overheat and potentially damage the components.

2. How does resistance affect the heating of an AC circuit?

Resistance is directly proportional to the amount of heat generated in an AC circuit. This means that the higher the resistance, the more heat will be produced. Therefore, it is important to have the minimum resistance in an AC circuit to prevent overheating.

3. What factors determine the minimum resistance in an AC circuit?

The minimum resistance in an AC circuit is determined by the type of components used, the voltage and current in the circuit, and the ambient temperature. These factors can vary and affect the minimum resistance needed to prevent overheating.

4. How can I calculate the minimum resistance for my AC circuit?

The minimum resistance can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current. You can also consult the specifications of your components to determine the recommended minimum resistance for your circuit.

5. Can using too much resistance in an AC circuit be dangerous?

Yes, using too much resistance in an AC circuit can be dangerous as it can cause the circuit to overheat and potentially damage the components. It is important to use the recommended minimum resistance to ensure the safety and proper functioning of the circuit.