Is My Delta to Wye Conversion Calculation Correct?

In summary, the conversation involved calculating resistance using the Delta-Y and Y conversions method. The steps included finding the resistance for the left side circuit and then taking series and parallel circuits to calculate the equivalent resistance. However, there was some confusion about the correct application of the equations and the correct answer was determined to be 2.5 Ohms. The conversation also mentioned a simpler way to solve the question by observing the symmetry of the circuit.
Istiak
Homework Statement
https://i.stack.imgur.com/dbNPL.png
Find resistance of the image
Relevant Equations
$$R_A=\frac{R_{AB}R_{AC}}{R_{AB}+R_{AC}+R_{BC}}$$
I was following these [steps](https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/direct-current/chpt-10/delta-y-and-y-conversions/).

I was calculating resistance for left side circuit.

$$R_1=\frac{2 × 2}{2+2+4}=0.5\Omega$$
$$R_2=\frac{2 × 4}{2+2+4}=1\Omega$$
$$R_3=\frac{2 × 4}{2+2+4}=1\Omega$$

Then, I took series and parallel circuit. Then, calculated equivalent of resistance.

$$R_s1=0.5+3=3.5$$
$$R_s2=1+3=4$$
$$R_p=(\frac{1}{3.5}+\frac{1}{4})^-1=1.8677$$
$$Requivalent=1.8677+1=2.8667$$

I am not sure if it is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Istiakshovon said:
Homework Statement:: https://i.stack.imgur.com/dbNPL.png
Find resistance of the image
Relevant Equations:: $$R_A=\frac{R_{AB}R_{AC}}{R_{AB}+R_{AC}+R_{BC}}$$

Then, I took series and parallel circuit. Then, calculated equivalent of resistance.
Looks like you applied the three resistances you calculated for the Y to the wrong components of it.
Draw the circuit after the conversion and post it to the thread.

(Btw, there is a much easier way to answer this question.)

haruspex said:
Looks like you applied the three resistances you calculated for the Y to the wrong components of it.
Draw the circuit after the conversion and post it to the thread.

(Btw, there is a much easier way to answer this question.)
1620572803653.png

1620572817775.png

I don't know if I am wrong.

Istiakshovon said:
View attachment 282800
View attachment 282801

I don't know if I am wrong.
You are wrong.
Suppose we label the points in the left half of the given diagram:
A is on the left
B is above the 4 Ohm
C is below the 4 Ohm.
Then in the equation
##R_{AB}## refers to the 2 Ohm at top left and ##R_{BC}## is the 4 Ohm.
This gives ##R_A=0.5\Omega##, where ##R_A## is the resistance connected to point A.
In post #3 you have ##R_A=1\Omega## .

haruspex said:
You are wrong.
Suppose we label the points in the left half of the given diagram:
A is on the left
B is above the 4 Ohm
C is below the 4 Ohm.
Then in the equation
##R_{AB}## refers to the 2 Ohm at top left and ##R_{BC}## is the 4 Ohm.
This gives ##R_A=0.5\Omega##, where ##R_A## is the resistance connected to point A.
In post #3 you have ##R_A=1\Omega## .
So, the answer is ##2.5 \Omega##

Istiakshovon said:
So, the answer is ##2.5 \Omega##
Yes.
The simple way is to observe the symmetry. There cannot be any current in the ##4\Omega## resistor, so you can throw it away.

What is a Delta to Wye conversion?

A Delta to Wye conversion is a method used to convert a three-phase electrical circuit from a Delta configuration to a Wye configuration, or vice versa. This is commonly done in electrical engineering to change the voltage or current levels of a circuit.

Why would someone want to perform a Delta to Wye conversion?

There are several reasons why someone might want to convert a circuit from Delta to Wye or vice versa. One reason is to change the voltage level of the circuit, as Wye configurations can provide a higher voltage than Delta configurations. Another reason is to balance the load across all three phases, which can improve the efficiency and stability of the circuit.

How is a Delta to Wye conversion performed?

A Delta to Wye conversion is performed by rearranging the connections of the three-phase circuit. In a Delta configuration, each phase is connected to two other phases in a triangular shape. In a Wye configuration, all three phases are connected to a central point. By rearranging the connections, the circuit can be converted from Delta to Wye or vice versa.

What are the benefits of a Delta to Wye conversion?

There are several benefits to performing a Delta to Wye conversion. One benefit is the ability to change the voltage level of the circuit, as mentioned earlier. Another benefit is the improved balance of the load across all three phases, which can result in a more stable and efficient circuit. Additionally, Wye configurations often have a lower impedance than Delta configurations, which can reduce power losses.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to a Delta to Wye conversion?

While there are many benefits to a Delta to Wye conversion, there are also some limitations and potential drawbacks. One limitation is that the conversion can only be done on three-phase circuits. Additionally, the conversion may require additional equipment or modifications to the circuit, which can be costly. Care must also be taken to ensure the correct connections are made to avoid damaging the circuit or causing safety hazards.