Minimum variance unbiased estimator

In summary, the minimum variance unbiased estimator of μ in the given scenario is w\bar{X}1 + (1 - w)\bar{X}2, where w = 1/3.
dvvv

Homework Statement

Let [itex]\bar{X}[/itex]1 and [itex]\bar{X}[/itex]2 be the means of two independent samples of sizes n and 2n from an infinite population that has mean μ and variance σ^2 > 0. For what value of w is w[itex]\bar{X}[/itex]1 + (1 - w)[itex]\bar{X}[/itex]2 the minimum variance unbiased estimator of μ?
(a) 0
(b) 1/3
(c) 1/2
(d) 2/3
(e) 1

Homework Equations

If θ~ is unbiased for θ and
Var(θ~)= 1/E[(d loge f (x)/dθ)^2] = 1/E[(dl(θ)/dθ)^2]
then θ~ is a minimum variance unbiased estimator of θ.

The Attempt at a Solution

E[w[itex]\bar{X}[/itex]1 + (1 - w)[itex]\bar{X}[/itex]2] = wμ + (1-w)μ = μ
So it's an unbiased estimator of μ.

I tried calculated the variance but I guess it's wrong.
Var[w[itex]\bar{X}[/itex]1 + [itex]\bar{X}[/itex]2 - w[itex]\bar{X}[/itex]2] = w^2.σ^2/n + σ^2/n + w^2.σ^2/n = σ^2/n(2w^2 +1)

I think I have to use the formula above but I don't know how.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
dvvv said:

Homework Statement

Let [itex]\bar{X}[/itex]1 and [itex]\bar{X}[/itex]2 be the means of two independent samples of sizes n and 2n from an infinite population that has mean μ and variance σ^2 > 0. For what value of w is w[itex]\bar{X}[/itex]1 + (1 - w)[itex]\bar{X}[/itex]2 the minimum variance unbiased estimator of μ?
(a) 0
(b) 1/3
(c) 1/2
(d) 2/3
(e) 1

Homework Equations

If θ~ is unbiased for θ and
Var(θ~)= 1/E[(d loge f (x)/dθ)^2] = 1/E[(dl(θ)/dθ)^2]
then θ~ is a minimum variance unbiased estimator of θ.

The Attempt at a Solution

E[w[itex]\bar{X}[/itex]1 + (1 - w)[itex]\bar{X}[/itex]2] = wμ + (1-w)μ = μ
So it's an unbiased estimator of μ.

I tried calculated the variance but I guess it's wrong.
Var[w[itex]\bar{X}[/itex]1 + [itex]\bar{X}[/itex]2 - w[itex]\bar{X}[/itex]2] = w^2.σ^2/n + σ^2/n + w^2.σ^2/n = σ^2/n(2w^2 +1)

I think I have to use the formula above but I don't know how.
Thanks.

Note: use brackets, since otherwise your expressions are ambiguous. Better yet, use LaTeX, as you did in the first part of your post.

Your variance formula is incorrect. Since [itex] \bar{X}_1[/itex] and [itex] \bar{X}_2[/itex] are independent we have
[tex] \text{Var}(a \bar{X}_1 + b \bar{X}_2) = a^2 \text{Var}(\bar{X}_1) + b^2 \text{Var}(\bar{X}_2)[/tex]
for any constants [itex] a, \: b.[/itex] Use [itex] a = w[/itex] and [itex] b = 1-w.[/itex]

I don't know why you wanted to write (1-w)X as X - wX and then apply the variance formula, but you did it incorrectly. Using V(.) for the variance of a random varable, we have (using the fact that X and X are dependent): [tex] V(X - wX) = 1^2 V(X) + w^2 V(X) - 2 \cdot 1\cdot w\: \text{Cov}(X,X),[/tex] and, of course, [itex]\text{Cov}(X,X) = V(X).[/itex]

RGV

Last edited:
I don't know why I did that either.

So is it right to say:
[tex] \text{Var}( \bar{X}_1) = \text{Var}(\bar{X}_2) = σ^2/n[/tex] ?

How do I work out what w is?

In terms of sigma, what would be the variance of a sample mean of size 10 (that is, n=10)? What about for a sample of size 20? Now go back and read (carefully) the original question. Do you honestly still need me to answer?

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
In terms of sigma, what would be the variance of a sample mean of size 10 (that is, n=10)? What about for a sample of size 20? Now go back and read (carefully) the original question. Do you honestly still need me to answer?

RGV
I guess it would be (σ^2)/10 and (σ^2)/20, so it's (σ^2)/n and (σ^2)/2n for [itex] \bar{X}_1[/itex] and [itex] \bar{X}_2[/itex], respectively.

I subbed that into
[tex] \text{Var}(a \bar{X}_1 + b \bar{X}_2) = a^2 \text{Var}(\bar{X}_1) + b^2 \text{Var}(\bar{X}_2)[/tex]
and subbed in a and b, and I got
[tex](σ^2(w^2+1))/2n[/tex]

I still don't know how to get w, sorry...

dvvv said:
I guess it would be (σ^2)/10 and (σ^2)/20, so it's (σ^2)/n and (σ^2)/2n for [itex] \bar{X}_1[/itex] and [itex] \bar{X}_2[/itex], respectively.

I subbed that into
and subbed in a and b, and I got
[tex](σ^2(w^2+1))/2n[/tex]

I still don't know how to get w, sorry...

No wonder: you have made a serious algebraic blunder, so you end up with the wrong expression.

RGV

dvvv said:
Tried again and got:
[tex] ((3 w^2 - 2 w + 1) σ^2)/(2 n)[/tex]
which is correct according to wolfram alpha http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=w^2(σ^2/n)+(1-w)^2(σ^2/2n)

What now?

You should not need a powerful tool to do such simple, high-school algebra, but since you have already done it, OK. The question asked you to find the value of w that minimizes the variance. So, that is what you need to do. At this point I am signing off this thread.

RGV

I just used it to confirm I was right. Thanks for your help.

1. What is a minimum variance unbiased estimator (MVUE)?

A minimum variance unbiased estimator is a statistical method used to estimate a population parameter with the lowest possible variance. It is considered unbiased because the expected value of the estimator is equal to the true value of the population parameter.

2. How is a MVUE different from other estimators?

Unlike other estimators, a MVUE has the lowest possible variance among all unbiased estimators for a given population parameter. This means that it is more precise and accurate than other estimators.

3. What is the formula for calculating a MVUE?

The formula for a MVUE is: E[θ^] = θ, where E[θ^] is the expected value of the estimator and θ is the true value of the population parameter. In other words, the MVUE is unbiased and has the smallest variance among all unbiased estimators.

4. How is a MVUE used in hypothesis testing?

In hypothesis testing, a MVUE is used to estimate the value of a population parameter and determine whether it is significantly different from a hypothesized value. The MVUE can help determine the likelihood of obtaining a sample mean that is significantly different from the hypothesized value.

5. What are the limitations of using a MVUE?

One limitation of a MVUE is that it may not always exist for certain population parameters or distributions. Additionally, it may not be possible to find a closed-form solution for the MVUE, making it difficult to calculate in some cases. Furthermore, the MVUE may be sensitive to outliers in the data, leading to inaccurate estimates.