Minkowski Metric Sign Convention

In summary, the conversation discussed the different conventions for Minkowski spacetime and how they affect the dot product and the resulting four-momentum. It was noted that both conventions are internally consistent and there is no physical difference between them. However, one must be consistent with the convention they are using in their calculations. The Wikipedia article referenced also uses the (-+++) convention, which explains the presence of a minus sign in the Minkowski norm.
PLuz
Hello,

I believe this is a really stupid question but I can't seem to figure it out. So given a Minkowski spacetime one can choose either the convention (-+++) or (+---).

Supposedly it's the same. But given the example of the four momentum:

Choosing (+---) in a momentarily comoving frame the only non null component is [itex]p^0[/itex]. Taking the inner product [itex]<p,p>[/itex] one gets [itex]p^2=m^2c^2[/itex] which is the expected result.

Choosing the other convention, (-+++), doing the same calculation one gets [itex]p^2=-m^2c^2[/itex].

So one has to add a minus sign...do we have to always add this minus sign by hand in every inner product with whatever vectors or something is missing me?

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is the same way that a positive magnitude of a spacetime interval will mean timelike in one convention and spacelike in the other. There is no physical difference between the two, because the systems are internally consistent.

As Muphrid mentioned, either convention is internally consistent and both correctly represent the physics. You just have to be consistent with the convention you are using in the signs of all of your dot products. Timelike intervals squared are positive under one convention and negative under the other.

Personally, I use the following approach to keep the convention straight.

If I am using the (-+++) convention then I will write the metric as:
[itex]ds^2= -c^2 dt^2 + dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2[/itex]

If I am using the (+---) convention then I will write the metric as:
[itex]c^2 d\tau^2= c^2 dt^2 - dx^2 - dy^2 - dz^2[/itex]

I understood what both told me, thank you once again for the fast answer, but something is still not clear to me.

Given two vector fields, say [itex]V[/itex] and [itex]U[/itex]. If I'm working in the convention (+---) the dot product is given by: [itex]<V,U>=\eta_{\mu \nu} V^{\mu}U^{\nu}=V^0 U^0 -V^i U^j[/itex]
, where the roman letters mean only the spatial components and [itex]\eta_{\mu \nu}[/itex] is the Minkowski metric.

Choosing the other convention (-+++) the dot product is given by [itex]<V,U>=\eta_{\mu \nu} V^{\mu}U^{\nu}=-V^0 U^0 +V^i U^j[/itex]

So you said that both are correct and I just have to stick with one in the calculations, yes I understand that, but if [itex]V=U=P[/itex] where [itex]P[/itex] is the 4 momentum. They state diferent things. In one convention we find [itex]P^2=m^2c^2[/itex] and in the other [itex]P^2=-m^2c^2[/itex], in a momentarily comoving frame.

So if I want them to state the same, expected, result, in the (-+++) convention I have to change the dot product to [itex]<V,U>=-\eta_{\mu \nu} V^{\mu}U^{\nu}=V^0 U^0 -V^i U^j[/itex]. Can I do this?Is this incorrect?

Last edited:
PLuz said:
So if I what them to state the same, expected, result, in the (-+++) convention I have to change the dot product to [itex]<V,U>=-\eta_{\mu \nu} V^{\mu}U^{\nu}=V^0 U^0 -V^i U^j[/itex]. Can I do this?Is this incorrect?

In the (+,-,-,-) convention [itex]<V,U>=\eta_{\mu \nu} V^{\mu}U^{\nu}=V^0 U^0 -V^i U^j[/itex], note that there is no minus sign in front of the metric. Since you *already* use (+,-,-,-) convention your metric [itex]\eta_{\mu \nu} [/itex] already is the diagonal matrix [1,-1,-1,-1].

PLuz said:
So you said that both are correct and I just have to stick with one in the calculations, yes I understand that, but if [itex]V=U=P[/itex] where [itex]P[/itex] is the 4 momentum. They state diferent things. In one convention we find [itex]P^2=m^2c^2[/itex] and in the other [itex]P^2=-m^2c^2[/itex], in a momentarily comoving frame.
That is correct. In one convention timelike intervals squared are positive, and under the other convention timelike intervals squared are negative. So in both cases P² is a timelike interval squared.

PLuz said:
So if I want them to state the same, expected, result, in the (-+++) convention I have to change the dot product to [itex]<V,U>=-\eta_{\mu \nu} V^{\mu}U^{\nu}=V^0 U^0 -V^i U^j[/itex]. Can I do this?Is this incorrect?
This is incorrect to the best of my knowledge. The dot product is not changed, just the intrepretation of positive or negative as timelike.

OK, now I understand perfectly well what all of you told me. Thank you very much.

Can anyone then explain me what is written in wikipedia:

"en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-momentum"

in the second section "Minkowski Norm" because they put the minus sign...

No, they didn't. Look carefully, the dot product is defined as normal. They used the convention that negative intervals squared are timelike. Therefore m²c² is not equal to the interval squared but the negative of the interval squared. If they had redefined the dot product then they would not have needed the minus sign.

Related to Minkowski Metric Sign Convention

What is the Minkowski Metric Sign Convention?

The Minkowski Metric Sign Convention, also known as the Minkowski signature or the metric signature, is a mathematical convention used to define the signature of a metric tensor. It is commonly used in the theory of relativity to describe the geometry of spacetime.

What are the components of the Minkowski Metric Sign Convention?

The Minkowski Metric Sign Convention has four components: +1, +1, +1, and -1. These components correspond to the three dimensions of space and one dimension of time, respectively. The convention is represented as (+, +, +, -).

How does the Minkowski Metric Sign Convention differ from the Euclidean Metric?

The Minkowski Metric Sign Convention differs from the Euclidean Metric in that it includes a negative component for the dimension of time. This allows for the measurement of spacetime intervals, which cannot be done with the Euclidean Metric. Additionally, the Minkowski Metric is used in the theory of relativity, while the Euclidean Metric is used in classical mechanics and geometry.

What is the significance of the minus sign in the Minkowski Metric Sign Convention?

The minus sign in the Minkowski Metric Sign Convention indicates that the dimension of time is treated differently than the dimensions of space. This is due to the fact that time is a unidirectional dimension and has a different mathematical representation than the three dimensions of space.

How is the Minkowski Metric Sign Convention used in the theory of relativity?

The Minkowski Metric Sign Convention is used in the theory of relativity to define the spacetime interval, which is an invariant quantity that describes the separation between two events in space and time. It allows for the calculation of proper time and the Lorentz transformations, which are fundamental concepts in the theory of relativity.