Mint: Sucker, Runner, Stolon or Rhizome?

• Thread starter Mandavi
  • Start date
In summary, there is some confusion over what category mint (Mentha arvensis) falls under in terms of its lateral stems. Some sources mention rhizomes and runners, while others mention suckers and stolons. It seems that the genus Mentha has various species that may behave differently in terms of their vegetative reproduction. It would be useful to research and observe the specific behavior of Mentha arvensis to determine which term is most accurate.
Mandavi
Does Mint(Mentha arvensis) come under the category of sucker or runner or stolon or rhizome?

In one of my books,it says,"In plants like mint and jasmine a slender lateral branch arises from the base of the main axis and after growing aerially for some time arch downwards to touch the ground."
My teacher,on the other hand says,Mint is an example of a sucker,just like Chrysanthemum.He is pretty sure.

I searched on the net.In wikipedia,it says rhizome and runners under the genus Mentha,but there is no sign of a sucker or even a stolon.
So what is correct?Please help!

Biology news on Phys.org
I've heard many of these terms used interchangeably in common usage. However there are distinctions between them. To find out, I recommend looking up each term individually. It would be useful to grow some mint yourself (preferably outside over 1-2 seasons) and see if it behaves according to the term you've chosen.

I think the genus information may be confusing you. All species in the mint genus reproduce vegetatively by lateral stems- whether this stem is a rhizome (underground) or a stolon (aboveground) depends on the individual species. Also, it looks like Mentha arvensis has a number of sub-species, just to complicate things.

Does Mint(Mentha arvensis) come under the category of sucker or runner or stolon or rhizome?

The term stolon refers to lateral stem itself
The terms sucker and runner are used when you are talking about vegetative (asexual) reproduction- a sucker is the 'plantlet' or daughter plant that is produced from a node on the parent stolon. A runner is the term used for a sucker-producing stolon.

1. What is the difference between a mint sucker and a runner?

A mint sucker is a small, leafy stem that grows vertically from the base of the plant. It is typically used for propagation and can be easily removed from the parent plant. A runner, on the other hand, is a horizontal stem that grows along the ground and produces new plants at its nodes. Runners are used for spreading and can create new colonies of mint plants.

2. How do stolons differ from rhizomes in mint plants?

Stolons and rhizomes are both types of horizontal stems found in mint plants. However, stolons are above-ground and grow along the surface, while rhizomes are underground and grow horizontally. Stolons are typically used for spreading and can produce new plants at their nodes, while rhizomes are used for storage and can store nutrients for the plant.

3. Can mint plants reproduce through both stolons and runners?

Yes, mint plants can reproduce through both stolons and runners. Stolons are above-ground horizontal stems that can produce new plants at their nodes, while runners are underground horizontal stems that can also produce new plants at their nodes. This allows mint plants to spread and create new colonies.

4. Are stolons and rhizomes unique to mint plants?

No, stolons and rhizomes can be found in many other plant species as well. These types of stems are used for spreading and storage in many different plants.

5. Can mint plants be grown from both stolons and runners?

Yes, mint plants can be grown from both stolons and runners. These horizontal stems can be planted in soil or placed in water to produce new plants. However, runners are typically more successful for propagation as they have a higher chance of producing new plants.