Mirror Falling: How Long Can Person See Their Feet?

In summary, a plane mirror of length 20 cm was put up on a wall with the upper part 130 cm above the ground. A person standing 1 m in front of the mirror with their eye 130 cm from the ground. The mirror suddenly falls and the person is able to see the tip of their feet when the lower side of the mirror is at a height of 65 cm from the ground. Based on the equations S=Vot+1/2at^2 and S=Vot+1/2gt^2, it takes 3 seconds for the mirror to be at 65 cm from the ground, and then the person is able to see their feet. The time for the feet to remain visible is
Carbon123

Homework Statement

A plane mirror of length 20 cm is put up in a wall.The upper part of the mirror is 130 cm above the ground.A person is standing 1 m in front of the mirror.The person's eye is 130 cm from the ground.Suddenly,the mirror falls.How long is the person able to see the tip of his feet ?
Assume that g=10 m/s2

Homework Equations

S=Vot +1/2 at2
Laws of Reflection
V=Vo+at

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the first time the person sees his feet would be when the lower side of the mirror is at height 65 cm from the ground.Therefore,I used S=Vot+1/2 gt2 and found that it takes 3 s to be at 65 cm from the ground.From then on ,the person would be able to see his feet,so the time can be calculated from S = Vot+1/2gt2 with s being the length of mirror ,the speed is Vo=g.3 and using quadratics the solution is 0.06 s .Please help me out plase check my work,I also do not know if the distance of the person from the mirror matters.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Stand different distances from the bathroom mirror and see if it changes what you can see.
Draw a sketch of the situation - if the mirror sits on the ground, how will the person see the reflection of his feet?

Simon Bridge said:
Stand different distances from the bathroom mirror and see if it changes what you can see.
Draw a sketch of the situation - if the mirror sits on the ground, how will the person see the reflection of his feet?
Well ,I can see more objects ,but
Simon Bridge said:
Well ,my field of view is bigger the closer i am .If the mirror is on the ground then the light reflected from my feet cannot reach my eyes,so i cannot see my feet.

WinstonC said:
.If the mirror is on the ground then the light reflected from my feet cannot reach my eyes,so i cannot see my feet.
... but you said before that the person will see his feet in the mirror at all times after the bottom has reached a height of 65cm ... and yet here you observe that when the bottom is at 0cm the feet are not visible. What does this suggest to you about the time that the feet remain visible?

Oops,
Simon Bridge said:
... but you said before that the person will see his feet in the mirror at all times after the bottom has reached a height of 65cm ... and yet here you observe that when the bottom is at 0cm the feet are not visible. What does this suggest to you about the time that the feet remain visible?
I put the wrong sentence then.I guess it should be that the person will only be able to see his feet when the mirror pass 65 cm above the ground,but was my calculations correct ,the distance i put to get the time was the length of the mirror ?

...the person will only be able to see his feet when the mirror pass 65 cm above the ground
... you mean, while the mirror is passing over the 65cm mark above the ground.

I can help you check your reasoning but I won't check your maths for you.
The way to check your reasoning is to draw a diagram: it's just geometry - you should feel confident about drawing triangles.
You should already have had lots of experience of the maths of triangles so you will be fine there.
If you are unsure about making a sketch, then make it a scale drawing.

Simon Bridge said:
... you mean, while the mirror is passing over the 65cm mark above the ground.

I can help you check your reasoning but I won't check your maths for you.
The way to check your reasoning is to draw a diagram: it's just geometry - you should feel confident about drawing triangles.
You should already have had lots of experience of the maths of triangles so you will be fine there.
That is what I mean,so is my reasoning correct that the time the person sees his feeet is equal to the time required for the whole length of the mirror to pass the 65 cm mark ?

This is me helping you to check your reasoning:

Simon Bridge said:
This is me helping you to check your reasoning:

Attachments

• 1458994732446.jpg
    1458994732446.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 309
So is the time when the feet is visible the time needed for mirror in position 1 to reach position 2 ?

Did you find anything in your diagrams to contradict what you found mathematically?

Your problem is that you cannot tell when you get something right.
This is a serious problem and one of the hardest to overcome... but it is very important because you are training to solve problems where nobody knows the right answers ... so there is nobody to ask. Some people work on problems where nobody even knows the right reasoning to work on it. But it is possible to tell when you get it right if you think about it. One approach is, as here, to try working the problem using an approach you are more familiar with. This is like how you become good at multiplication by, first, checking that repeated addition works out the same way. After a while you get used to just multiplying and move on to the next harder concept.

I guess it makes perfect sense then.Thanks for the advice.

1. How long does a person see their feet in a falling mirror?

The amount of time a person sees their feet in a falling mirror depends on several factors, such as the height of the mirror, the speed at which it is falling, and the distance between the person and the mirror. In general, the duration is very brief and may only last for a fraction of a second.

2. Why can't we see our feet in a falling mirror for very long?

When a mirror is falling, it is accelerating towards the ground due to gravity. This acceleration causes the mirror to move at a high speed, making it difficult for our eyes to track the movement and see our feet. Additionally, the mirror's angle and position change rapidly, further decreasing the time we can see our feet.

3. Can a person see their feet in a falling mirror if they are standing far away?

Yes, a person can see their feet in a falling mirror even if they are standing far away. However, the distance between the person and the mirror would affect the size of their image in the mirror, making it more difficult to see their feet clearly.

4. Is it possible to see our feet in a falling mirror if it is falling slowly?

If the mirror is falling at a slow speed, it is possible to see our feet for a longer duration. However, it also depends on the height of the mirror and how far away we are standing from it. In general, the duration would still be relatively short.

5. Does the shape or size of the mirror affect how long we can see our feet in a falling mirror?

Yes, the shape and size of the mirror can affect how long we can see our feet. A larger or wider mirror may provide a longer viewing time compared to a smaller or narrower one. Additionally, a curved mirror may also have an impact on the duration as it can reflect our image differently.