How can I solve these mirror problems without getting the wrong answer?

• Thread starter Kawrae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirror
I don't understand why. AAAARGHHHHHHHHIn summary, the person is struggling with homework problems involving mirrors and refraction. They are unsure of how to solve some of the problems and are frustrated with the difficulty. They also mention that they are familiar with the formulas and conventions but are still struggling.
Kawrae
This is driving me crazy I am ready to either bash my head through a window or kill something. I can't get any of these homework problems and I have no idea why... These are webassign problems so it tells me if its the wrong answer but naturally doesn't tell me what I'm doing wrong... so I am just going to post them all under one thread, here goes

1. A person walks into a room with two flat mirrors on opposite walls, which produce multiple images. When the person is 5.00 ft from the mirror on the left wall and 12.0 ft from the mirror on the right wall, find the distance from the person to the first three images seen in the mirror on the left.
distance to first image:
distance to second image:
distance to third image:

>>> I had the distance to the first image as 5.00 feet. Because I thought the distance an object is from a mirror will equal how far the image is from the mirror. And then I had the second image as being 29 feet away... I have NO idea why this isn't right. Or how to solve it at all.

2. A concave mirror has a focal length of 40.0 cm. Determine the object position for which the resulting image is upright and four times the size of the object.

>> I think I might be on the right track but am just having trouble with the math. I know that 1/p = 1/f - 1/q and I also know that M=-q/p ... but I don't know q and am having a real hard time trying to figure it out without it. How can I solve it?!

3. An object is 12.0 cm from the surface of a reflective spherical Christmas-tree ornament 7.00 cm in diameter. (Use the correct sign conventions for your answers.)
What is the magnification?
What is the image distance?

>> I said R = 3.5, because it is half of the diameter. Then I said f=R/2=-1.75 because f is behind the mirror. Then I tried just plugging into 1/q=1/f - 1/p to get the image distance and I got -1.17. Which is wrong. And I don't understand why. AAAARGHHHHHHHH
If I had q I could find the magnification by using M=-q/p

4. A goldfish is swimming inside a spherical plastic bowl of water, with index of refraction 1.33. If the goldfish is 11.5 cm from the wall of the 16.0 cm radius bowl, where does it appear to an observer outside the bowl?

>> I tried using the equation n1/p + n2/q = n2-n1/R and had n1 = 1.00 (air) and n2 = 1.33 (water). R I said was -16.0 and p = 11.5. I plugged everything in and got q being -12.4. What am I doing wrong? How can I solve this??

Please help me! I don't understand what I am doing wrong?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Kawrae said:
1. I had the distance to the first image as 5.00 feet. Because I thought the distance an object is from a mirror will equal how far the image is from the mirror. And then I had the second image as being 29 feet away... I have NO idea why this isn't right.

29 feet away from the MIRROR. And it was asked from the person.

2. A concave mirror has a focal length of 40.0 cm. Determine the object position for which the resulting image is upright and four times the size of the object.

>> I think I might be on the right track but am just having trouble with the math. I know that 1/p = 1/f - 1/q and I also know that M=-q/p ... but I don't know q

M is given, M=4, so q= -4p.

>> I said R = 3.5, because it is half of the diameter. Then I said f=R/2=-1.75 because f is behind the mirror. Then I tried just plugging into 1/q=1/f - 1/p to get the image distance and I got -1.17. Which is wrong.

You've just miscalculated something. Try again.

4. A goldfish is swimming inside a spherical plastic bowl of water, with index of refraction 1.33. If the goldfish is 11.5 cm from the wall of the 16.0 cm radius bowl, where does it appear to an observer outside the bowl?

>> I tried using the equation n1/p + n2/q = n2-n1/R and had n1 = 1.00 (air) and n2 = 1.33 (water). R I said was -16.0 and p = 11.5. I plugged everything in and got q being -12.4. What am I doing wrong? How can I solve this??

If you consider air the first medium and water the second one then your object is behind the surface so its distance is negative. On the other hand, r is positive as the bowl looks convex from outside.

Answer to Q.1: The distance to image #2=34ft (= 29+5. This image is the reflection of the first image in the mirror on the right in the other mirror). The next image to the right is the reflection of the first image on the left(22ft 'behind' the right mirror). Reflect this image in the mirror on the left & you'll get the next answer(= 44ft?).
Q.2,3,4 -- Bogged down by the Cartesian sign convention?! You seem to know how to solve the problems. Just have a good look at the formulae & conventions (& don't bash your head or kill anything! A year ago, these formulae swamped me 10 times more than they are swamping you!).
Regards,
Einstone.

ehild said:
>> I said R = 3.5, because it is half of the diameter. Then I said f=R/2=-1.75 because f is behind the mirror. Then I tried just plugging into 1/q=1/f - 1/p to get the image distance and I got -1.17. Which is wrong.

You've just miscalculated something. Try again.

I went back through and tried this again and got the same thing? I don't understand what I'm doing wrong... I'm using f as negative because its inside the ball and behind the mirror. And R as positive... can someone explain how to do this problem using very small words?

Kawrae said:
I went back through and tried this again and got the same thing? I don't understand what I'm doing wrong... I'm using f as negative because its inside the ball and behind the mirror. And R as positive... can someone explain how to do this problem using very small words?

f is negative, that is correct.

1/p + 1/q = 1/f, 1/p = -1/1.75 -1/12 = -0.6548 --->p = - 1.53.

ehild

Thank you very much! I was using -1/1.75-1/3.5... I see what I did wrong now. Ack too many variables thanks!

1. What are "Mirror Problems from HELL"?

"Mirror Problems from HELL" is a term used in the field of optics to describe difficult or complex issues that arise when working with mirrors, such as distortion, reflection, and refraction.

2. What makes mirror problems difficult to solve?

Mirror problems can be challenging to solve due to the intricate nature of light and its behavior when interacting with mirrors. These problems often require advanced mathematical calculations and precise measurements to find a solution.

3. How can mirror problems impact scientific research?

Mirror problems can have a significant impact on scientific research, particularly in fields that heavily rely on mirrors, such as astronomy and microscopy. If not addressed properly, these issues can lead to inaccurate data and flawed conclusions.

4. How do scientists approach solving mirror problems?

Scientists typically use a combination of theoretical models, experimental methods, and advanced technologies to study and solve mirror problems. This multidisciplinary approach allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the issue and increases the chances of finding a solution.

5. Are there any real-world applications for solving mirror problems?

Yes, solving mirror problems has real-world applications in various industries, including manufacturing, engineering, and healthcare. For example, precise mirror alignment is crucial in the production of electronic devices, and accurate mirror distortion correction is essential for medical imaging.