Mitochondrial DNA and recombination

In summary, mtDNA recombination is known to occur in yeast, plants, fungi and even some invertebrates. There is evidence of occurrence of inter-molecular heterologous mtDNA recombination in mammals including humans according to the linked article, based in part on experiments with human hybrid cells.
Bio-student
Does mtDNA recombine? I've tried doing my own research but I'm getting very mixed responses, from the evidence being strongly against it, right up to it being a well-known phenomenon in yeast. any insight please?

Biology news on Phys.org
Bio-student said:
Does mtDNA recombine? I've tried doing my own research but I'm getting very mixed responses, from the evidence being strongly against it, right up to it being a well-known phenomenon in yeast. any insight please?

mtDNA recombination is known to occur in yeast, plants, fungi and even some invertebrates. There is evidence of occurrence of inter-molecular heterologous mtDNA recombination in mammals including humans according to the linked article, based in part on experiments with human hybrid cells.

http://hmg.oxfordjournals.org/content/13/24/3171.full.pdf+html

Last edited:
I would have thought this extremely unlikely

In mammals all the mitochondrial is from the maternal mitochondria there is nothing for it to recombine with

mack_10 said:
I would have thought this extremely unlikely

In mammals all the mitochondrial is from the maternal mitochondria there is nothing for it to recombine with

I don't know how mtDNA repair or replication would be related to the fact that mtDNA is determined by the maternal line. On the other hand, the paper I cited was in human hybrid cells under experimental conditions, so I don't believe natural mtDNA repair by recombination has been established in humans. Here's a paper discussing the finding of possible intermediates of mtDNA repair by recombination in human heart muscle.

http://www.nature.com/embor/journal/v2/n11/full/embor288.html

Last edited:
http://www.nature.com/embor/journal/v2/n11/full/embor288.html

sounds more like an artefact than proof

It depends entirely on the situation. In higher animals it is exceedingly rare because in most cases there are safeguards to prevent maternal and paternal mitochondria from mixing for various good reasons. However in yeasts and some other single celled eukaryotes, they are known to fuse under both natural and experimental conditions and so mt-recombination is more common. Basicly it dose happen where ever there is a mixed inheritance. http://www.nature.com/hdy/journal/v93/n4/full/6800572a.html

In 1992, i found evidence of resolved Holliday junctions in rat mtDNA by PCR across the 16 bp direct repeat. If not an artifact, this at the least would argue for intramolecular recombination producing sub-plasmid minicircles and the reverse. Maybe this would account for the unusually robust maintenance of mtDNA sequence integrity over the long lifetime of mammals in a hostile (respiratory) environement. No one was interested.

wedris said:
In 1992, i found evidence of resolved Holliday junctions in rat mtDNA by PCR across the 16 bp direct repeat. If not an artifact, this at the least would argue for intramolecular recombination producing sub-plasmid minicircles and the reverse. Maybe this would account for the unusually robust maintenance of mtDNA sequence integrity over the long lifetime of mammals in a hostile (respiratory) environement. No one was interested.

Welcome to PF wedris. This post is quite old (9 months) and the OP has been answered. Nether the less feel free to start a new thread regarding mitochondrial DNA. Please note though that as per the PF rules personal theories are not allowed so if you would like to talk about your work you should provide some publications to support it.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380

1. What is mitochondrial DNA and how is it different from nuclear DNA?

Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is a type of genetic material found in the mitochondria, the energy-producing organelles within cells. It is inherited only from the mother and is structured differently from nuclear DNA, which is found in the nucleus of cells and is inherited from both parents.

2. What is recombination and how does it occur in mitochondrial DNA?

Recombination is a process by which genetic material is exchanged between two different chromosomes during cell division. In mitochondrial DNA, recombination is rare and occurs through a process called heteroplasmy, where different versions of mtDNA coexist within the same cell. This can happen spontaneously or due to external factors such as environmental stress or disease.

3. Can mitochondrial DNA recombination lead to genetic diversity?

Yes, recombination in mtDNA can lead to genetic diversity. As different versions of mtDNA mix and match, new combinations of genes can arise, resulting in variations in traits and characteristics. This can be beneficial for a species, allowing for adaptation to changing environments.

4. Is mitochondrial DNA recombination linked to any diseases?

Yes, mitochondrial DNA recombination has been linked to certain diseases such as mitochondrial disorders. These are caused by mutations in mtDNA, which can be inherited from the mother or arise spontaneously through heteroplasmy. These mutations can affect the function of mitochondria and lead to a variety of health issues.

5. How is the study of mitochondrial DNA recombination useful in scientific research?

The study of mitochondrial DNA recombination has many applications in scientific research. It can help us understand the evolution and diversity of species, track maternal lineages, and investigate the genetic basis of certain diseases. It can also aid in forensic investigations and be used as a tool for population genetics and conservation efforts.