Mixture of different gases at different temperatures

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a system involving a mixture of two gases - dry air and water steam. The question is how to determine the temperature T3, given the known values of T1, p1, m1 for gas 1 and T2, p2, m2 for gas 2. The possible solutions include using a formula involving specific heat capacities and partial pressures, or using Dalton's law to determine different partial pressures. The context of the problem is in the steam turbine seals, with two streams flowing into an initially vacuumed chamber. The chamber is later opened, with all pressures being equal.
samak55

Homework Statement

Hello. I have problém with this system. Mixture of two gases. How can i determine temperature T3?
Gas 1 (dry air) - I know T1, p1, m1
Gas 2 (water steam) - I know T2, p2, m2

Output (mixture) P3, (m1+m2); p3<p1;p3<p2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it possible to use this solution?
m1*c1*t1+m2*c2*t2=m1*c1'*t3+m2*c2'*t3
from the software tables
c1=function(p1;t1)
c1'=function(p3;t3)
c2=function(p2;t2)
c2'=function(p3;t3)
?

Or i should use Daltons law to determine different partial pressure in c1' and c2'?

Excuse my English. I am working on it :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer depends on the details of the process that is employed.

This is a process in the steam turbine seals. There is one "tube" with air, second "tube" with steam and they both point into the chamber. In chamber is vacuum (vacuum is made by vacuum-pump)

You have two streams flowing into a closed chamber of fixed volume that is initially under zero absolute pressure?

Sorry my mistake. p1=p2=p3 chamber is opened.

samak55 said:
Sorry my mistake. p1=p2=p3 chamber is opened.
Please draw a schematic diagram.

1. What is a mixture of different gases at different temperatures?

A mixture of different gases at different temperatures refers to a combination of two or more gases that have different temperatures. This can occur naturally in the atmosphere or can be created in a laboratory setting.

2. How do different temperatures affect gas mixtures?

Different temperatures can affect gas mixtures in various ways. For example, when gases are mixed at different temperatures, they will tend to move towards thermal equilibrium, meaning that they will eventually reach the same temperature. Additionally, the properties of each gas, such as its density and pressure, can also be affected by temperature.

3. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to mixtures of different gases at different temperatures?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. This law is particularly useful in understanding the behavior of mixtures of different gases at different temperatures, as it allows us to predict how changes in these variables will affect the overall mixture.

4. Can gases with different temperatures be mixed together?

Yes, gases with different temperatures can be mixed together. As mentioned earlier, they will eventually reach thermal equilibrium, meaning that their temperatures will equalize. This is due to the random motion of gas molecules, which will eventually distribute the energy evenly throughout the mixture.

5. What are some real-world applications of mixtures of different gases at different temperatures?

Mixtures of different gases at different temperatures have numerous applications in various industries. For example, in the production of steel, different gases are mixed at different temperatures to create the desired chemical reactions. In the food industry, gases at different temperatures are used to preserve food and create a controlled atmosphere for storage. In the medical field, mixtures of different gases at different temperatures are used for anesthesia and respiratory support.