Model developed from performance curves are dynamic models?

In summary, using a heat exchanger modeled in this way should approximate the functionality of the actual system.
Nikhil N
I am trying to model a real heat exchanger in simulink. I don't have the geometry data. But I have UA curve with me. If I have developed the model with UA curve, will it be dynamic in nature?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nope.

BvU said:
Nope.
Do you think, is it because the test data gives the details of only at steady state ?

I do. UA is an instantaneous value, a curve makes it a function of something.

On the other hand, dynamics of heat exchangers aren't often a focus (except perhaps in textbooks): I've always seen them treated as instantaneously reacting devices because the heat content of vessels, columns and reactors and such was so much greater. Do you have a particular application in mind ?

@Chestermiller : any experience ? -- and shouldn't we let the OP add some more context ?

BvU said:

On the other hand, dynamics of heat exchangers aren't often a focus (except perhaps in textbooks): I've always seen them treated as instantaneously reacting devices because the heat content of vessels, columns and reactors and such was so much greater. Do you have a particular application in mind ?

@Chestermiller : any experience ? -- and shouldn't we let the OP add some more context ?
I agree. I think we need to hear more details. But it might be a decent approximation if UA where used in a dynamic case based on the instantaneous conditions. It depends.

Likes BvU
BvU said:

My end objective is to make complete simulink model for rotory air compressor. So this heat exchanger will become one of the subsystem in my model. Can you tell me, if I am using a heat exchanger modeled with this approach can mimic the actual system functionality?

1. What is a dynamic model?

A dynamic model is a mathematical representation of a system or process that takes into account how it changes over time. This is in contrast to a static model, which only considers the system at one point in time.

2. How are performance curves used in dynamic models?

Performance curves are used in dynamic models as a way to understand and predict how a system or process will perform over time. They show the relationship between the input variables and the output variables, allowing for analysis and optimization of the system.

3. What are the benefits of using dynamic models?

Dynamic models have several benefits, including the ability to simulate and predict system behavior under different conditions, identify areas for improvement, and make informed decisions based on data-driven insights. They also allow for real-time monitoring and adjustment of systems, leading to increased efficiency and cost savings.

4. What is the difference between a dynamic model and a static model?

A dynamic model takes into account the changes in a system over time, while a static model only considers the system at one specific point in time. Dynamic models are more complex and can provide more detailed insights, but they also require more data and computational power to run.

5. How are dynamic models validated?

Dynamic models are validated by comparing the model's predictions to real-world data. This can be done by collecting data from the system and comparing it to the model's output, or by using historical data to test the model's accuracy. If the model accurately reflects the behavior of the system, it is considered validated.