Model the situation with a Laplace room

In summary: Ah okay, I think I understand now. So the correct formula would be: $|B| = \binom{8}{2} \cdot 11 \cdot 10 \cdot 9 \cdot 8 \cdot 7 \cdot 6$ ? 🤔In summary, a Laplace room is a discrete probability space with a finite result set and equally likely outcomes. In this conversation, a problem was posed about an ice cream parlour with 12 different flavors and 8 customers, where the probability of each customer choosing a different flavor and the probability of exactly 2 customers choosing vanilla were calculated using the Laplace space model. The solution for the second part involved counting the number of ways for 2
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! 😊

An ice cream parlour offers 12 different types of ice cream, including vanilla ice cream. There are 8 people passing by, each of whom chosses a ball of ice cream. Of course, the ice cream parlour has taken good precautions, so that there is enough ice cream from each variety.
Model the situation with a Laplace room. To do this, enter an appropriate result set and the events of interest in (a) and (b) as a subset of the result set. Calculate the probability that
(a) each of 8 people order a different type of ice cream,
(b) exactly two of the 8 people would like to make vanilla ice cream.

I have done the following :

Let $\Omega := \{1, 2, \ldots , 12\}^8$, where $(\omega_1, \ldots , \omega_8) \in \Omega$ means that the $i$-th person chooses the flavour $\omega_i$ ($i \in \{1, \ldots , 8\}$).
Let $p(\omega) :=\frac{1}{|\Omega|}=\frac{1}{12^8}$ for all $\omega \in \Omega$.
Then $(\Omega, p)$ is the Laplace experiment.

Is that correctand compelte so far? :unsure: (a) As a subset of $\Omega$ we can write the event $A$ as follows :
\begin{equation*}A=\left \{(\omega_1, \ldots , \omega_8) \in \Omega \mid \omega_i\neq \omega_j \ \forall i,j \in \{1, \ldots , 8\} \text{ with } i\neq j \right \}\end{equation*}
Since $(\Omega, p)$ is a Laplace experiment, we have that\begin{equation*}P(A)=\frac{|A|}{|\Omega|}=\frac{12\cdot 11\cdot 10\cdot 9\cdot 8\cdot 7\cdot 6\cdot 5}{12^8}\approx 0.046\end{equation*}
Is that correct? :unsure: (b) As a subset of $\Omega$ we can write the event $B$ as follows :
\begin{equation*}B=\left \{(\omega_1, \ldots , \omega_8) \in \Omega \mid \exists i,j,z\in \{1, \ldots 8\} : \omega_i=\omega_j="\text{vanilla}" \land \omega_z\neq "\text{vanilla}" \right \}\end{equation*} I am not really sure if we write this event in this way. :unsure:
Since $(\Omega, p)$ is a Laplace experiment, we have that\begin{equation*}P(B)=\frac{|B|}{|\Omega|}=\end{equation*} If the above is correct... How can we calculate $|B|$ ? Could you give me a hint? :unsure:

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Model the situation with a Laplace room. To do this, enter an appropriate result set and the events of interest in (a) and (b) as a subset of the result set.

I have done the following :
Let $\Omega := \{1, 2, \ldots , 12\}^8$, where $(\omega_1, \ldots , \omega_8) \in \Omega$ means that the $i$-th person chooses the flavour $\omega_i$ ($i \in \{1, \ldots , 8\}$).
Let $p(\omega) :=\frac{1}{|\Omega|}=\frac{1}{12^8}$ for all $\omega \in \Omega$.
Then $(\Omega, p)$ is the Laplace experiment.

Hey mathmari!

I can't seem to find a definition of a "Laplace room" or "Laplace experiment".
Can you perhaps provide a reference or quote? 🤔

Either way, it looks to me that you defined the probability space correctly.

mathmari said:
(a) As a subset of $\Omega$ we can write the event $A$ as follows :
\begin{equation*}A=\left \{(\omega_1, \ldots , \omega_8) \in \Omega \mid \omega_i\neq \omega_j \ \forall i,j \in \{1, \ldots , 8\} \text{ with } i\neq j \right \}\end{equation*}
Since $(\Omega, p)$ is a Laplace experiment, we have that\begin{equation*}P(A)=\frac{|A|}{|\Omega|}=\frac{12\cdot 11\cdot 10\cdot 9\cdot 8\cdot 7\cdot 6\cdot 5}{12^8}\approx 0.046\end{equation*}

Yep. (Nod)

mathmari said:
(b) As a subset of $\Omega$ we can write the event $B$ as follows :

How can we calculate $|B|$ ? Could you give me a hint?
What is the number of outcomes where customer 1 and 2 want vanilla and that none of the others want vanilla? 🤔
How many ways can we pick 2 customers from 8? 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
I can't seem to find a definition of a "Laplace room" or "Laplace experiment".
Can you perhaps provide a reference or quote? 🤔

Either way, it looks to me that you defined the probability space correctly.

Laplace Room is a discrete probability space $(\Omega, P)$ with finite result set $\Omega$ and the discrete equidistance as probability measure $P$.
The Laplace space provides the mathematical model for describing a Laplace experiment, i.e. an experiment with a finite number of equally likely outcomes. Typical examples of Laplace experiments are dice with a fair cube or tossing an untvanked coin. Furthermore, Laplace rooms are usually used as a model in the drawing of so-called representative samples.
Klaas van Aarsen said:
What is the number of outcomes where customer 1 and 2 want vanilla and that none of the others want vanilla? 🤔
How many ways can we pick 2 customers from 8? 🤔

Is it equal to $\binom{8}{2}$ ? :unsure:

mathmari said:
Laplace Room is a discrete probability space $(\Omega, P)$ with finite result set $\Omega$ and the discrete equidistance as probability measure $P$.
The Laplace space provides the mathematical model for describing a Laplace experiment, i.e. an experiment with a finite number of equally likely outcomes. Typical examples of Laplace experiments are dice with a fair cube or tossing an untvanked coin. Furthermore, Laplace rooms are usually used as a model in the drawing of so-called representative samples.

All correct then. (Nod)
mathmari said:
Is it equal to $\binom{8}{2}$ ?
That is indeed the number of ways we can pick the 2 customers that picked vanilla.
However, there are still many different outcomes depending on what the other customers pick. How many are those given the 2 customers that pick vanilla? 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
All correct then. (Nod)

Ah is the set $B$ correct in the way I wrote it? :unsure:
Klaas van Aarsen said:
That is indeed the number of ways we can pick the 2 customers that picked vanilla.
However, there are still many different outcomes depending on what the other customers pick. How many are those given the 2 customers that pick vanilla? 🤔

Is it maybe : $|B|=\binom{8}{2}\cdot \binom{12-1}{8-2}$ ? :unsure:

mathmari said:
Ah is the set $B$ correct in the way I wrote it?

Ah no. It allows for a third customer to have vanilla, which should not be allowed. (Worried)

mathmari said:
Is it maybe : $|B|=\binom{8}{2}\cdot \binom{12-1}{8-2}$ ?
Nope. (Shake)

Each of the other 6 customers has 12-1 choices and the ordering matters.
If two customers have different ice creams, we get a different outcome if they swap.
More generally, the binomial $\binom n k$ counts how many unordered outcomes there are, and it is also about drawing without replacement.
We have a different formula for ordered outcomes, and also if it is with replacement.
That is $\binom{12-1}{8-2}$ is the number of way that the remaining 6 customers pick different ice creams that are not vanilla. But that is not what we need. 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Ah no. It allows for a third customer to have vanilla, which should not be allowed. (Worried)

Ah so the part with $\omega_z$ is wrong, isn't it? :unsure:
Klaas van Aarsen said:
Nope. (Shake)

Each of the other 6 customers has 12-1 choices and the ordering matters.
If two customers have different ice creams, we get a different outcome if they swap.
More generally, the binomial $\binom n k$ counts how many unordered outcomes there are, and it is also about drawing without replacement.
We have a different formula for ordered outcomes, and also if it is with replacement.
That is $\binom{12-1}{8-2}$ is the number of way that the remaining 6 customers pick different ice creams that are not vanilla. But that is not what we need. 🤔

So for ordered outcomes and with replacement do we use the formula $n^k$, i.e. $6^{11}$ ? :unsure:

mathmari said:
Ah so the part with $\omega_z$ is wrong, isn't it?

Indeed. 🤔

mathmari said:
So for ordered outcomes and with replacement do we use the formula $n^k$, i.e. $6^{11}$ ?
Yes.
But what you have there is the number of ways 11 customers can choose 6 icecreams. (Sweating)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Indeed. 🤔

Should it maybe be :
\begin{equation*}B=\left \{(\omega_1, \ldots , \omega_8) \in \Omega \mid \exists i,j\in \{1, \ldots 8\} : \omega_i=\omega_j="\text{vanilla}" \land \forall z\neq \{i,j\} : \omega_z\neq "\text{vanilla}" \right \}\end{equation*}
Or is my approach completely wrong? :unsure:
Klaas van Aarsen said:
Yes.
But what you have there is the number of ways 11 customers can choose 6 icecreams. (Sweating)

Ah yes, it is the other way around. It should be $11^6$. Each of the six people have $11$ options, right?

So is the total number of $B$ equal to $\binom{8}{2}\cdot 11^6$ ? :unsure:

mathmari said:
Should it maybe be :
\begin{equation*}B=\left \{(\omega_1, \ldots , \omega_8) \in \Omega \mid \exists i,j\in \{1, \ldots 8\} : \omega_i=\omega_j="\text{vanilla}" \land \forall z\neq \{i,j\} : \omega_z\neq "\text{vanilla}" \right \}\end{equation*}
Or is my approach completely wrong?

Ah yes, it is the other way around. It should be $11^6$. Each of the six people have $11$ options, right?

So is the total number of $B$ equal to $\binom{8}{2}\cdot 11^6$ ?
All correct now. (Sun)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
All correct now. (Sun)

Therefore we get $$P(B)=\frac{\binom{8}{2}\cdot 11^6}{12^8}$$ Is that correct? :unsure:

mathmari said:
Therefore we get $$P(B)=\frac{\binom{8}{2}\cdot 11^6}{12^8}$$ Is that correct?
Yep. (Nod)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Yep. (Nod)

Great! Thank you very much! (Sun)

Klaas van Aarsen said:

Why is the ordering important in this case? Do we not want just that all these $6$ people chooses something else than vanilla? :unsure:

mathmari said:
Why is the ordering important in this case? Do we not want just that all these $6$ people chooses something else than vanilla?
Yes, but we are dividing by the total number of possible ordered ice cream distributions, which is what our sample space consists of.
It means we need to use the number of possible ordered ice cream distribution that match the event $B$. 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Yes, but we are dividing by the total number of possible ordered ice cream distributions, which is what our sample space consists of.
It means we need to use the number of possible ordered ice cream distribution that match the event $B$. 🤔

Could you explain that further to me? I haven't really understood that. :unsure:

mathmari said:
Could you explain that further to me? I haven't really understood that.

You had for $B$:
mathmari said:
Should it maybe be :

Each element of $B$ is of the form $(\omega_1, \ldots , \omega_8)$.
That is an ordered set aka tuple isn't it? 🤔

Do we have that $\Omega := \{1, 2, \ldots , 12\}^8$ because the elements of $\Omega$ are the 8-tupels where each element can take a value between $1$ and $12$ ? :unsure:

mathmari said:
Do we have that $\Omega := \{1, 2, \ldots , 12\}^8$ because the elements of $\Omega$ are the 8-tupels where each element can take a value between $1$ and $12$ ?
Yes. (Nod)

1. What is a Laplace room?

A Laplace room is a mathematical model used to describe a physical situation. It involves using Laplace transforms to convert a differential equation into an algebraic equation, making it easier to solve.

2. How is a Laplace room different from other mathematical models?

A Laplace room is specifically used for solving differential equations, while other models may be used for different types of equations or systems. It also involves converting the equation into a different form, rather than directly solving it.

3. When is it appropriate to use a Laplace room?

A Laplace room is most commonly used in engineering and physics, where differential equations are commonly encountered. It is particularly useful for systems with constant coefficients or for solving initial value problems.

4. What are the benefits of using a Laplace room?

Using a Laplace room can simplify the process of solving differential equations, making it easier to find a solution. It also allows for the analysis of complex systems and can provide insight into the behavior of the system over time.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Laplace room?

A Laplace room may not be suitable for all types of differential equations, particularly those with variable coefficients. It also requires knowledge of Laplace transforms and may not be as intuitive as other methods for solving equations.