Modeling a Control System using Transfer Functions

In summary, the student is trying to solve for the transfer function of the preamp, but is having difficulty because he does not understand what the forward chain is. He is also confused about why the table asks for both the block and the transfer function.
yaro99

Homework Statement

[/B]
y0haDMs.png
T6pmEZq.png

Homework Equations

Listed under 2.1 in the image above.
This is the only relevant equation that I'm aware of, but I'm almost sure that there is something else I need to know before I can solve the problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving for the preamplifier first, then I realized I was just running around in circles and not actually solving anything.In order to get V_e(s), I need to first find the output of the first potentiometer and subtract it from that of the second one.

output for first potentiometer: K_pot*θ_i(s)
output for second potentiometer: K_pot*θ_a(s)

V_e(s) = K_pot(θ_i(s)-θ_a(s))

Now, V_p(s) = K*V_e(s) = K*K_pot(θ_i(s)-θ_a(s))

Transfer function of preamplifier: [K*K_pot(θ_i(s)-θ_a(s))]/[K_pot(θ_i(s)-θ_a(s))] = K

Clearly the transfer function is not the same thing as the function for the physical block, so I must be doing something wrong here. I just don't see how I can fill out the table using just the equation I was given.

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-30_22-37-58.png
    upload_2015-8-30_22-37-58.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 559
Physics news on Phys.org
it looks like you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what transfer function you are solving for.

K is typically a fixed value that you choose (using a technique like root locus for example)

When you are told you need to sole for a transfer function, typically you solve for the output over the input (azimuth angle over desired azimuth angle). so your transfer function for the preamp would simply be K

there are many ways to do that. two simple ways are the mason gain formula and simple block diagram algebra.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason's_gain_formula you can follow this if you want to do masons gain

block diagram algebra for a problem like this is simple:

V_e=V_i-theta_o*K_pot_2 ...as you already mentioned

simply multiply that by the forward chain until you get to your output. then manipulate the equation so you have your output over your input

give it a shot

donpacino said:
simply multiply that by the forward chain until you get to your output. then manipulate the equation so you have your output over your input

I don't understand this part, forgive my ignorance. Why am I multiplying, and what is the forward chain? We are talking about just the preamp here right?

I must admit that I do not completely understand the problem:
1.) All the transfer functions of the variuous blocks are given in the Block diagram
2.) Where is Block 6 (integrator)?
3.) As far as I understand, you are required (according to 2.1) to derive the "open-loop transfer function".. That is the transfer function between input and output WITHOUT any feedback. Hence, it is simply the product of the shown 5 Blocks in the forward path.

So - what is the problem?

yaro99 said:
I don't understand this part, forgive my ignorance. Why am I multiplying, and what is the forward chain? We are talking about just the preamp here right?
just multiply the gains of the the blocks.

but as LvW pointed out, I may have a misunderstanding as well. I assumed you need to take the closed loop transfer function, but you might need to take the open loop transfer function. with open loop it becomes much easier

donpacino said:
but as LvW pointed out, I may have a misunderstanding as well. I assumed you need to take the closed loop transfer function, but you might need to take the open loop transfer function. with open loop it becomes much easier

How would I do this for each particular block? I am supposed to fill out the table for each one.
Also, in the table, what would be the difference between the Block and the Transfer Function?

yaro99 said:
How would I do this for each particular block? I am supposed to fill out the table for each one.
Also, in the table, what would be the difference between the Block and the Transfer Function?
how much experience do you have with block diagrams?

looking at V_e and V_p, by definition V_p=V_e*preamp which is V_p=V_e*K

the gain of the block is the transfer function of the block by definition

donpacino said:
how much experience do you have with block diagrams?

Not much. My professor gave us one (bad) lecture on them and then gave us this HW. We are supposed to look up transfer functions on our own but my book was unhelpful.

donpacino said:
the gain of the block is the transfer function of the block by definition

That's what confused me. If that's true then I'm wondering why the table asks for both.

yaro99 said:
Not much. My professor gave us one (bad) lecture on them and then gave us this HW. We are supposed to look up transfer functions on our own but my book was unhelpful.
That's what confused me. If that's true then I'm wondering why the table asks for both.

so for one line of the table

physical black=preamp
tranfer function=k
input=v_e
output=v_p

i would interpret block as the name, not the transfer function

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a control system. It is typically represented in the form of a ratio of polynomials and is used to analyze and design control systems.

2. How is a transfer function derived?

A transfer function can be derived by taking the Laplace transform of the differential equations that describe the behavior of a control system. It can also be obtained experimentally by inputting a known input signal and measuring the resulting output.

3. What is the significance of modeling a control system using transfer functions?

Modeling a control system using transfer functions allows for analysis of the system's stability, performance, and robustness. It also enables the design of controllers to achieve desired system behavior.

4. Can transfer functions be used for all types of control systems?

Transfer functions can be used for linear time-invariant (LTI) control systems. However, for nonlinear or time-varying systems, other modeling techniques such as state-space representation may be more suitable.

5. Are transfer functions unique to a specific control system?

No, transfer functions are not unique to a specific control system. They are general representations that can be applied to different control systems, as long as they have the same input-output relationship. However, the parameters in the transfer function may vary for different systems.