Modeling Converging Spherical Waves in Optics

In summary, a spherical wave diverging from a single point can be approximated as a parabolic wave in the paraxial case around the z-axis.
Wminus
Hi. A spherical wave ##e^{i(kr-\omega t)}## diverging from a single point ##(x=0,y=0,z=-z_0)## can be approximated as a parabolic wave in the paraxial case around the z-axis. I.e., ##k r = k \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2} \simeq k (z +\frac{x^2+y^2}{2z})##.

OK, then let's say a lens is placed such that its optical axis coincides with the ##z## axis and its focus points are at ##-z_0## and ##z_0##. In this case, the outgoing parabolic wave from ##-z_0## will be focused into the point ##z_0##. My question is, how is this to be modeled mathematically? Intuitively I would guess that ##k r \simeq k ( z - \frac{x^2+y^2}{2z})##, but what is ##kr## equal to in the accompanying case of a converging spherical wave? Something ala ##e^{i(kr + \omega t)} e^{i \phi}##, where ##\phi## is some phase factor?

I would appreciate it if you guys could help me in clearing this stuff up :)

Thanks

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Wminus said:
In this case, the outgoing parabolic wave from −z0-z_0 will be focused into the point z0
If this is converging lens, then the rays will be focused at infinity, that is the outgoing rays are collimated.

blue_leaf77 said:
If this is converging lens, then the rays will be focused at infinity, that is the outgoing rays are collimated.
crap, yeah you're right. I was thinking in terms of rays from the object plane being focused into the image plane, but I mixed it up. sorry.

But anyway, do you know the mathematical form of waves converging to a single point?

converging spherical wave must be the inverse of the diverging one, the sign of the wavevector k must change (better change the sign of k rather than the sign of ##\omega t## as you did above, this will mean time reversal).

Likes Wminus

1. What is the difference between converging and diverging waves in optics?

Converging waves refer to light rays that are coming together at a single point, while diverging waves refer to light rays that are spreading apart from a single point. In other words, converging waves converge towards a point, while diverging waves diverge away from a point.

2. How are converging waves used in optical systems?

Converging waves are used in optical systems to focus and magnify images. This is achieved through the use of lenses and mirrors that are designed to converge light rays towards a single point, creating a clear and enlarged image.

3. What is the focal point of a converging wave?

The focal point of a converging wave is the point at which all the light rays converge after passing through a lens or reflecting off a mirror. This is where the image will be formed in an optical system, and its distance from the lens or mirror is known as the focal length.

4. How does the shape of a lens affect the convergence of light waves?

The shape of a lens plays a crucial role in the convergence of light waves. A convex lens, which is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, will converge light waves towards a focal point, while a concave lens, which is thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges, will cause light waves to diverge.

5. What is the difference between real and virtual images formed by converging waves?

A real image is formed when the light rays actually converge at a point and can be projected onto a screen, while a virtual image is formed when the light rays only appear to converge at a point and cannot be projected. Real images are formed by converging waves passing through a lens, while virtual images are formed by converging waves reflecting off a mirror.