Modeling Quantum State Evolution with Schrodinger's Equation

• Thread starter LCSphysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evolution
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for solving a system of differential equations involving the Schrodinger equation with time involved. It is suggested to work with the wave function ##\psi = \alpha |a_{0}\rangle + \beta |a_{1}\rangle##, but it is unclear if this is the best approach. The use of constants ##\alpha, \beta## and the value of ##\hbar## are also discussed. The conversation also mentions a typo in the question and provides a corrected solution using the suggested method.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
I am a little confused about how to solve it, probably it is easy but i didn't get it.

1610876763933.png

I thought that would be a good idea to work with ##\psi = \alpha |a_{0}\rangle + \beta |a_{1}\rangle## in the Schrodinger equation with time involved, so that we get a system of differential equations. $$d\alpha/dt = \alpha*a + \beta*b$$$$d\beta/dt = \alpha*r$$$$ \beta(0) = 0$$
(simplifying the notation, throwing the i and h to the other side, a b r constants)

But i am not sure if this is the best way, and if this is right. And the wolframalpha's solution of the system was not an easy one to manipulate, so i think i am wrong.

Attachments

• 1610876407121.png
    1610876407121.png
    65.4 KB · Views: 74
Physics news on Phys.org
I would try ##| \psi(t)> = e^{-i\frac H h t}|a_0>## then play around with some Taylor expansion for the exponential and the trigonometric functions. Not sure it's the easiest way. It looks promising to me because you gat all this nested terms like ##H|a_0>##, ##HH|a_0> = H(\alpha|a_0> + \beta |a_1)## ecc...

Last edited:
LCSphysicist said:
Homework Statement:: .
Relevant Equations:: .

I am a little confused about how to solve it, probably it is easy but i didn't get it.

View attachment 276389

I thought that would be a good idea to work with ##\psi = \alpha |a_{0}\rangle + \beta |a_{1}\rangle## in the Schrodinger equation with time involved, so that we get a system of differential equations. $$d\alpha/dt = \alpha*a + \beta*b$$$$d\beta/dt = \alpha*r$$$$ \beta(0) = 0$$
(simplifying the notation, throwing the i and h to the other side, a b r constants)

But i am not sure if this is the best way, and if this is right. And the wolframalpha's solution of the system was not an easy one to manipulate, so i think i am wrong.
First, ##\alpha, \beta## are already given as constants, so you can't use them as ##\psi(t)##.

Second, are you using ##\hbar = 1## in this text?

Third, let's see the SDE for this system.

PS There's a typo in the question. It should be ##H|a_1 \rangle = \beta |a_0 \rangle + \alpha | a_1 \rangle##

Last edited:
With the above corrections, it all works out: using the SDE gives coupled first-order differential equations, solve (e.g. using second-order equations), apply initial conditions, gives the quoted solution.

1. What is the theory of evolution of state/system?

The theory of evolution of state/system is the concept that states or systems change and develop over time through a process of natural selection and adaptation. This theory is often applied to political systems, economic systems, and social systems.

2. How does evolution of state/system occur?

Evolution of state/system occurs through a combination of factors such as environmental pressures, competition, and random mutations. These factors can lead to the development of new systems or the adaptation of existing ones to better suit their environment.

3. What evidence supports the theory of evolution of state/system?

There is a wealth of evidence that supports the theory of evolution of state/system. This includes historical records, archaeological evidence, and observations of current systems. Additionally, the principles of evolution have been successfully applied to a variety of fields, providing further evidence for its validity.

4. Can the evolution of state/system be predicted?

While it is impossible to predict the exact path of evolution for a specific state or system, we can make educated guesses based on the current environment and past patterns. However, unforeseen events and factors can also greatly impact the evolution of state/system.

5. What are the implications of understanding the evolution of state/system?

Understanding the evolution of state/system can provide insights into the development and functioning of current systems. It can also help us anticipate and adapt to future changes. Additionally, this understanding can lead to more effective and sustainable approaches to managing and governing states and systems.