Coherent state evolution - nonlinear Hamiltonian

In summary: In general, the coherent state will evolve into a superposition of coherent states with different ##\alpha##'s. In summary, the evolution of the initial state ##|\psi(0)\rangle = |\alpha\rangle##, under the given Hamiltonian, is given by ##|\psi(t)\rangle = \hat{U}|\psi(0)\rangle = \hat{U}|\alpha\rangle = e^{-i\omega_{0}t\hat{n}}e^{- i\frac{\chi}{\hbar} \hat{n}^2} e^{-|\alpha|^2/2}\sum_{n}\frac{\alpha^n}{\sqrt{n!}}|n\rangle##, where ##\hat
CptXray
TL;DR Summary
I have a weird Hamiltonian and I can't find the evolution of coherent state
Given the hamiltonian:
[tex]
\hat{H} = \hbar \omega_{0} \hat{a}^{+}\hat{a} + \chi (\hat{a}^{+}\hat{a})^2,
[/tex]
where ##\hat{a}^{+}##, ##\hat{a}## are creation and annihilation operators.
Find evolution of the state ##|\psi(t) \rangle##, knowing that initial state ##|\psi(0)\rangle = |\alpha\rangle##, where ##|\alpha\rangle## is a coherent state.
So, in Schrodinger picture:
[tex]
|\psi(t)\rangle = \hat{U}|\psi(0)\rangle = \hat{U}|\alpha\rangle
[/tex]
Evolution operator:
[tex]
\hat{U} = e^{-i\hat{H}t} = e^{-i\omega_{0}t\hat{n} - i\frac{\chi}{\hbar} \hat{n}^2} = e^{-i\omega_{0}t\hat{n}}e^{- i\frac{\chi}{\hbar} \hat{n}^2},
[/tex]
in the last equality I used BCH formula.
Expanding coherent state:
[tex]
|\alpha\rangle = e^{-|\alpha|^2/2}\sum_{n}\frac{\alpha^n}{\sqrt{n!}}|n\rangle
[/tex]
So, the evolution of the initial state is:
[tex]
|\psi(t)\rangle = e^{-i\omega_{0}t\hat{n}}e^{- i\frac{\chi}{\hbar} \hat{n}^2} e^{-|\alpha|^2/2}\sum_{n}\frac{\alpha^n}{\sqrt{n!}}|n\rangle.
[/tex]
By expanding the exponents (from right to left) i get that nasty ##n^2## term and I can't recreate the state.
[tex]
e^{-|\alpha|^2/2}\sum_{n}e^{-i\chi t / \hbar n^2}e^{-i\omega_{0}tn}\frac{\alpha^n}{\sqrt{n!}}|n\rangle.
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that you tacitly assume that if the state is initially a coherent state, then it must be a coherent state at all times. But that assumption is wrong. It's true only for the harmonic oscillator Hamiltonian, which corresponds to ##\chi=0##.

Likes vanhees71 and atyy

1. What is a coherent state in quantum mechanics?

A coherent state is a quantum state that exhibits classical-like behavior. It is an eigenstate of the annihilation operator, meaning that it is a state with a well-defined number of particles. In addition, it has a well-defined phase and minimum uncertainty in position and momentum. Coherent states are often used to describe the behavior of a quantum system that is in a state of coherent superposition.

2. How does a nonlinear Hamiltonian affect the evolution of a coherent state?

A nonlinear Hamiltonian can cause a coherent state to evolve in a nonlinear fashion. This means that the state will not evolve in a simple, linear manner as it would with a linear Hamiltonian. Instead, the state may exhibit more complex behavior, such as oscillations, collapses, and revivals.

3. Can a coherent state evolve into a non-coherent state under a nonlinear Hamiltonian?

Yes, a coherent state can evolve into a non-coherent state under a nonlinear Hamiltonian. This is because the nonlinear Hamiltonian can introduce interactions between different energy levels, causing the state to become entangled with other states and lose its coherence.

4. What are some applications of studying coherent state evolution under a nonlinear Hamiltonian?

Studying coherent state evolution under a nonlinear Hamiltonian has many applications in quantum optics, quantum information processing, and quantum computing. It can also be used to study the dynamics of Bose-Einstein condensates and other quantum systems.

5. How do we mathematically describe the evolution of a coherent state under a nonlinear Hamiltonian?

The evolution of a coherent state under a nonlinear Hamiltonian can be described using the Schrödinger equation. This equation takes into account the nonlinear terms in the Hamiltonian and allows us to calculate the time evolution of the state. Alternatively, we can also use the Heisenberg equation of motion to describe the evolution of the state in terms of the creation and annihilation operators.