Modeling - Reciprocal Function

In summary, the person is having trouble solving a reciprocal function using two points. They have tried various methods but have not been able to find a solution. They are seeking help and considering trying a different form of the function or using more data points to improve the fit.
Peter G.
Hi, I am currently trying to model a set of data using a reciprocal function. I picked a couple of points, substituted the y and x values into two equations but I can't solve it!

Here is an example:

y = A / (Bx)

30 = A / (4.5B)

0.1 = A / (20B)

I tried solving it by all methods I know of but. For simplification purposes and to show evidence of my work I will show only one method:

From Equation 1: A = 135 B

Therefore, substituting into equation 2: 0.1 = 135 B / 20 B

The Bs cancel here and I can't get an answer.

Any help please?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your version really only involves one constant, since A / (Bx) = (A/B) * (1/x) = C/x, where C = A/B. So you're essentially trying to fit two points to a one-parameter family, which isn't always guaranteed. I'd try writing y = A / (x + B). If you have three points, you can try y = A / (Bx + C), but that can just be reduced to the previous form. It might give you a better fit, though.

Related to Modeling - Reciprocal Function

1. What is a reciprocal function?

A reciprocal function is a mathematical function that represents the inverse relationship between two variables. In other words, as one variable increases, the other decreases at a proportional rate.

2. How do you graph a reciprocal function?

To graph a reciprocal function, you first need to find the reciprocal of each x-value. Then, plot these points on a coordinate plane and connect them with a smooth curve. The resulting graph will be a hyperbola.

3. What is the domain and range of a reciprocal function?

The domain of a reciprocal function is all real numbers except for zero, since you cannot divide by zero. The range of a reciprocal function is also all real numbers, except for zero, since the function approaches but never reaches zero.

4. How do you find the asymptotes of a reciprocal function?

The vertical asymptote of a reciprocal function is the vertical line where the function is undefined, which occurs at x = 0. The horizontal asymptote can be found by taking the limit of the function as x approaches positive or negative infinity.

5. How are reciprocal functions used in real life?

Reciprocal functions can be used to model many real-life situations, such as the relationship between speed and time in physics, or the relationship between price and demand in economics. They can also be used in engineering and navigation to calculate distances and angles.