Modeling the Kinematics of a Tennis Serve

In summary: But downwards?In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking advice on how to create a video of themselves serving in tennis and analyzing their speed and position over time. The conversation includes suggestions for using a digital video camera and a tutorial on tracking kinematics from video. It also mentions the possibility of using a high-speed camera and the effects of air resistance on the ball's speed. The conversation ends with a question about the expected results of the speed-time graph.
MoAli
Hey Guys, I know its an Odd Question but i have an assignment where i should be doing a tennis serve and taking a video of it, importing it on laptop and draw graphs and make conclusions about its position with time and compare my results with theories, so any suggestions on how to do that, in fact, i have no clue how to measure speed and such things. Really appreciate any help. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
MoAli said:
i have no clue how to measure speed and such things.

Here is tutorial on tracking kinematics from video:

Hi and welcome to PF
This could be an interesting project but I am not sure what you actually want to do.
With a digital video camera it is usually possible to look at one frame at a time and that will help you estimate speeds by looking at the changes between the sequence of frames. Speed is distance /time taken so, if you can decide the distances traveled and you have the frame rate (30frames per second, probably) you can estimate speeds as the times will be 1/30s. To measure the distances traveled by various bits of your arms it would be an idea to performs the action in front of a screen with a grid marked on it to act like graph paper. To avoid problems with perspective, you should make it a long shot (not wide angle) and stand very near the sceen. That way, a cm moved by your arm will correspond to a cm across the grid. Failing that, you could have a ruler with chunky markings on it, next to the server. Putting black dots on a white overall in various places on the body and having nice bright lighting and a consequent short shutter time should give you sharp dots (focus is vital, too). If you are trying to perfect your serve then you probably need to know more than just the position of the racket head.

A.T. said:
Here is tutorial on tracking kinematics from video:

A high speed (slo mo) camera would be the icing on the cake. For human actions, it shouldn't be necessary. All that's necessary is to have a camera that has a fairly fast shutter setting.

sophiecentaur said:
A high speed (slo mo) camera would be the icing on the cake. For human actions, it shouldn't be necessary.
Depends on MoAli's serve. But the main point of the tutorial is how to use that free tracking software.

Hey Guys, A few days ago I Asked for advice to help me model the serve and many were very useful in the experiment and i appreciate it. The result I got using the application tracker showed that the speed of the ball was decreasing along its path which is not what i expected, i mean the tennis ball after being hit with the racket should have speeded up as it proceeds in its trajectory or am i wrong? i need help in knowing what i should i expect in the speed(magnitude) time graph

Air resistance will slow down the ball.
In vacuum, the ball would speed up slightly (when moving downwards), but that effect is small for a typical serve.

Once the source of energy (racket strings) is removed (and as long as the ball is not losing height), it will slow down in any case. Does it keep slowing down as it turns towards the ground? Upwards and horizontal, it will lose Kinetic energy.

1. How do I determine the correct grip for a tennis serve?

The correct grip for a tennis serve can vary between players, but the most common grip is the continental grip. To find this grip, hold the racket handle in your right hand with the strings facing towards you. Then, turn the handle slightly to the right until the V shape between your thumb and index finger is directly on top of the handle. This grip allows for maximum power and control during the serve.

2. What is the proper stance for a tennis serve?

The proper stance for a tennis serve can also vary, but the most common stance is the platform stance. This involves standing with your feet shoulder-width apart, facing towards the net. Your front foot should be slightly ahead of your back foot, and your weight should be evenly distributed between both feet. This stance allows for a balanced and powerful serve.

3. How do I generate more power in my tennis serve?

To generate more power in your tennis serve, you can focus on using your entire body rather than just your arm. This includes using your legs to push off the ground, rotating your hips, and using your shoulder and arm to follow through with the swing. It is also important to have a relaxed grip and a smooth, fluid motion to generate maximum power.

4. Can I model my tennis serve after professional players?

Yes, you can model your tennis serve after professional players. However, keep in mind that every player has their own unique style and technique. It is important to find what works best for you and your body. You can watch videos of professional players to observe their techniques and incorporate them into your own serve.

5. How do I improve my accuracy in my tennis serve?

To improve your accuracy in your tennis serve, it is important to focus on your ball toss. A consistent and accurate ball toss will help you make contact with the ball in the same spot every time, leading to a more accurate serve. Also, make sure to keep your eyes on the ball and use your non-dominant hand to guide the racket towards the ball. Practicing regularly and visualizing your serve can also help improve your accuracy.