Modelling with differential equations

In summary, the conversation discusses how to write differential equations for two lakes with different rates of toxin inflow and outflow. The first lake has a constant inflow of toxins and the second lake has an inflow equal to the outflow of the first lake. They also discuss the concentration of toxins in the outflow and how to solve the equations.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

Screen_shot_2012_04_02_at_6_57_34_PM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that problems such as this one tend to take on the rough form of [itex]\frac{dQ}{dt} = rate in - rate out[/itex]. I suppose I should treat each lake such that is has it's own equation regarding concentration. I reasoned that, in the case of the first lake, the rate of change in quantity as time changes, call it [itex]\frac{dQ}{dt}[/itex] has no real rate in. In this case, it was more like there was an immediate "lump sum" of toxins released into the lake with no further toxins after that point. Then is the equation for the first lake not given by [itex]\frac{dQ}{dt} = \frac{-Q}{100,000 + 500t}(500)[/itex]? I write the +500t because the toxin is becoming more and more diluted as time progresses (because of clean water inflow).

With regard to the second lake's concentration, call it [itex]\frac{dY}{dt}[/itex], it's inflow should be the same as the 1st lake's outflow, no? Thus, write that [itex]\frac{dY}{dt} = \frac{Q}{100,000 + 500t}(500) - \frac{Y}{200,000 + 500t}[/itex].

Now, this is just the way that I tried to reason out how to write the differential equations. Since the rest of the problem relies on these, I think I should get my answers checked before I push onward.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your rate-out for the first lake is completely wrong. Let's talk about fixing it, and hopefully, you can figure out the rest.

You want to know specifically how much toxin leaves the lake every hour. You know that 500 liters of fluid flow out. How much of that fluid is water and how much toxin? Let's assume that concentration of toxin in outflow is the same as concentration of toxin in the lake. (So everything is well and properly mixed). The amount of toxin in the lake is Q. The amount of fluid is 100,000 liters. So the concentration is Q/100,000 kg/liter. Now, how much toxin is flowing out? It's the amount of fluid times the concentration. So we get the following.

[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt}=-\frac{500 Q}{100,000} kg/hr[/tex]

That's it. The fact that concentration drops with time is already accounted for by the fact that Q is decreasing as time goes on, so the value on the right side will be getting lower and lower.

Solve this equation, substitute Q(0)=500kg, and you should know Q(t). Knowing that, you should be able to set up equation for second lake in similar fashion.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It describes the rate of change of a quantity in terms of its other variables. It is commonly used in modeling physical, biological, and economic systems.

2. Why are differential equations important in modeling?

Differential equations are important in modeling because they can accurately describe the behavior of complex systems. They allow scientists to predict and understand how a system will change over time and how it will respond to different inputs or conditions.

3. How do you solve a differential equation?

There are several methods for solving differential equations, including analytical, numerical, and graphical methods. Analytical methods involve finding an exact solution using mathematical techniques. Numerical methods use algorithms to approximate a solution. Graphical methods involve plotting the solution and analyzing its behavior.

4. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have numerous applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, biology, economics, and chemistry. They are used to model population growth, chemical reactions, electrical circuits, heat transfer, and many other phenomena.

5. Can differential equations be used to make predictions?

Yes, differential equations can be used to make predictions about the behavior of a system. By solving the equations and analyzing the solution, scientists can make predictions about how a system will change over time and how it will respond to different inputs or conditions.