Moderating Neutrons: Calculating Kf/Ki Ratio

• Thread starter Tanahagae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutron
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the ratio of a neutron's final kinetic energy to its initial kinetic energy when undergoing an elastic collision with different target particles. The equations for momentum and kinetic energy are provided and it is determined that the initial velocity is not needed for the calculation. The final solution involves manipulating the equations to get a ratio of velocities and using the formula for head-on collisions between a mobile and stationary object. The conversation ends with a thank you to Matterwave for helping to clarify the problem.
Tanahagae

Homework Statement

Moderating a Neutron In a nuclear reactor, neutrons released by nuclear fission must be slowed down before they can trigger additional reactions in other nuclei. To see what sort of material is most effective in slowing (or moderating) a neutron, calculate the ratio of a neutron's final kinetic energy to its initial kinetic energy, Kf/Ki, for a head-on elastic collision with each of the following stationary target particles. (Note: The mass of a neutron is m = 1.009 u, where the atomic mass unit, u, is defined as follows: 1 u = 1.66*10-27 kg.

An electron (M = 5.49*10-4 u).

A proton (M = 1.007 u).

The nucleus of a lead atom (M = 207.2 u).

Homework Equations

Pf=Pi
m1u1 = m1v1,f2 + m2v2,f2
Kf=Ki
(1/2)m1u2 = (1/2)m1v1,f2 + (1/2)m2v2,f2

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I do not even know how to begin this problem set due to lacking an initial velocity. I have been searching for a few hours of how to properly derive an equation and have not come up with anything ground breaking. Any tips are greatly appreciated, I wish I had more information to give.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need the initial velocity since you're only asked for a ratio Ki/Kf which reduces to a ratio of velocities. =)

I'm assuming that by

m1u0 = m1v1f^2 = m2v2f^2

You meant [tex]m_1u_0=m_1v_{1f}^2-m_1v_{1f}^2[/tex] where you're assuming that the colliding particle continues in the same direction, while allowing a negative velocity to prove you wrong.

That is completely correct.

All that's left for you now is to find a relationship between the momentum of a particle and its kinetic energy. Once you have the mass and the energy, you also have the velocity. But there's no need for you to go through that whole derivation. Simply find a way to express the momentum using the energy, and rephrase your equations in terms of the energy only, you should then find it easy to derive the ratio of the kinetic energies.

Matterwave said:
You don't need the initial velocity since you're only asked for a ratio Ki/Kf which reduces to a ratio of velocities. =)

I was under the impression you need initial velocity to be able to properly set up a conservation of momentum and kinetic energy formula.

@Royal: That was an error on my part it was meant to be addition between the two final velocities.

In terms of your response; how would one go about setting up a relationship between the two? This is my first time dealing with a question such as this and all I know if manipulating conservation formulas and substituting them.

Notice that Kf/Ki=mvf^2/mvi^2

See if you can manipulate your equations to get something like that.

Matterwave said:
Notice that Kf/Ki=mvf^2/mvi^2

See if you can manipulate your equations to get something like that.
You are very correct, sir. I could not see how something that simple was the actual work for this problem. I completely over complicated the problem, plus I was trying to solve for the entire system rather than the Kinetic Energy of the Neutron.

I ended up asking my TA about this today because I was frustrated. You end up setting up how you showed and then cancel the (1/2) and m1 leaving you with vf2/vi2. You plug in the formula for head on collisions between a mobile and stationary object which is v1,f=[(m1-m2)/(m1+m2)]. Needless to say you square that as the order of operation states and the vi cancels out leaving you to just plug masses into the equation.

Thank you very much Matterwave, wish I had been able to understand the problem earlier. It turned out be one of the easiest of all.

Very Respectfully,
Darius

1. What is the purpose of calculating the Kf/Ki ratio in moderating neutrons?

The Kf/Ki ratio is used to determine the effectiveness of a material in moderating, or slowing down, neutrons in a nuclear reactor. This ratio helps scientists select the most efficient materials for moderating neutrons, which is crucial for maintaining safe and stable nuclear reactions.

2. How is the Kf/Ki ratio calculated?

The Kf/Ki ratio is calculated by dividing the final kinetic energy of the neutron (Kf) by its initial kinetic energy (Ki). The result is a dimensionless number that represents the effectiveness of a material in moderating neutrons.

3. What factors affect the Kf/Ki ratio?

The Kf/Ki ratio is affected by several factors, including the type of material used for moderation, the temperature of the material, and the energy of the incoming neutron. Different materials have different moderating capabilities, and the temperature of the material can also impact the efficiency of neutron moderation.

4. How does the Kf/Ki ratio impact nuclear reactions?

The Kf/Ki ratio plays a crucial role in maintaining safe and stable nuclear reactions. A high Kf/Ki ratio indicates that a material is effective in moderating neutrons, which can help control the rate of the nuclear reaction. This is important for preventing overheating and potential meltdowns in nuclear reactors.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Kf/Ki ratio in moderating neutrons?

While the Kf/Ki ratio is a useful tool for selecting materials for neutron moderation, it does have limitations. For example, it does not take into account the spatial distribution of neutrons or the effects of neutron absorption. Additionally, the Kf/Ki ratio may vary depending on the specific conditions of the nuclear reaction, so it should be used in conjunction with other calculations and safety measures.