Modern Invention in the Home: Everyday Essentials

In summary, many of the everyday things in our homes were invented over time. The table, chair, and cup and saucer evolved from earlier forms of furniture. Paint, television, and many other modern conveniences were not invented overnight, but were developed over time.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
The every day things in the home, the bath, toilet, cooker, carpet, table, chairs, paint, bed,
cup and saucer, knife, spoon , fork, etc, etc.
Given that your TV, computer, radio are luxuries, how much do we owe to Modern invention in the home.

Physics news on Phys.org
They all pretty much evolved ( were created if you live in Louisiana) out of cruder natural items.
So the difficulty is defining when it stopped being a mound of moss and became a bed, or stopped being a bit of metal/rock and became a knife.

Also, they were invented before people thought to keep track of - and give credit to - people who invented stuff.

(Those who track stuff now are the same people who brought us the 'instant classic!' and 'collector's item!' mentality.)

Ancients Greeks had baths, and possibly Pharaohs of Egypt too.

The table must have evolved from when the cavemen realized they could put something on a large stone, or a collapsed tree.

Paint dates back to cave paintings. I think Neanderthals painted drawings in Spain dating back to 30,000 BC.

wolram said:
The every day things in the home, the bath, toilet, cooker, carpet, table, chairs, paint, bed,
Given that your TV, computer, radio are luxuries, how much do we owe to Modern invention in the home.

that's too much to think about--it makes my head hurt----those things are way too complex to figure out---so, I'm going to just go for an answer so I don't HAVE to think so hard to try to understand it all---

----"ID"

Screens on windows to keep bugs out.

waht said:
The table must have evolved from when the cavemen realized they could put something on a large stone, or a collapsed tree.

I imagine the table would have evolved shortly after the chair. I think the modern "feature" of a table is that it has room under it to allow people to be seated at it with their legs in front of them.

DaveC426913 said:
I imagine the table would have evolved shortly after the chair. I think the modern "feature" of a table is that it has room under it to allow people to be seated at it with their legs in front of them.

and right after that, the first argument over "who took the big piece of chicken?"

wolram said:

Not all modern conviences were invented or evlolved without some mishaps and even religious misgivings.

The pressure cooker1 was invented by the French physicist, mathematician and inventor Denis Papin in 1679. Rumour has it that his first pressure cooker exploded while being presented at the Royal Society in London in 1679, which inspired Papin to invent the safety valve. The diarist and horticulturist John Evelyn gives a very positive record from another presentation at the Royal Society three years later. However, it is said that when pressure cookers were first used, some people thought they were the result of witchcraft because of the incessant hissing from the valve. In Germany, the first pressure cookers were sold in 1927.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A15826179

THE HISTORY OF KITCHEN APPLIANCES

http://inventors.about.com/od/kstartinventions/a/kitchen.htm

Many of the items we use daily went though a series of improvements.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cup and saucer came from Japan, along with the tea. The first cups had no handles, much like the cups still used today in Japan. By 1840 we added the handles, and the cups became finer. Saucers were deep, because the fashion of the day required tea drinkers to pour the hot tea into the saucer, let it cool a bit then drink it out of the saucer. It was called saucering your tea. What to do with your empty cup? Why put it on a Cup Plate of course.

So what did people drink out of before cups? Bowls?

WarPhalange said:
So what did people drink out of before cups? Bowls?
Streams.

Paperclips?

Last edited:
phyzmatix said:
Paperclips?

there was something on TV about that--it was some guy playing with a wire while waiting for a trolley, I believe

rewebster said:
there was something on TV about that--it was some guy playing with a wire while waiting for a trolley, I believe

Waiting for a trolley? :confused:

phyzmatix said:
Waiting for a trolley? :confused:

it was back in the teens or twenties went just about every town had them and interurbans of some sort (like the Red Line in CA--)

rewebster said:
it was back in the teens or twenties went just about every town had them and interurbans of some sort (like the Red Line in CA--)

*ping*...of course!

(I probably shouldn't even admit this, but I had difficulty understanding why someone would sit and wait for a shopping trolley :redface: :rofl:)

I have made blades from obsidian and flint, and it's pretty darned tough to duplicate the craftsmanship of flint-knappers of thousands of years ago. The great thing about the stone blades is that they are REALLY sharp and can be re-sharpened by knapping new edges. The downside is that they are incredibly brittle. The instruction cards and minimal tool set that I bought were very helpful, though. They guy who marketed the kits used to sell his flakes of obsidian to an outfit that made scalpels for plastic surgeons. A cleanly-knapped flake has an edge only about a molecule thick, which cuts skin cleanly and reduces scarring.

About the only thing i could think of that is needed in the home and is quite modern is copper pipe, and may be insulated copper wire, even then we could do without electricity.
a solid fuel aga to cook on and heat water, gas lights.

Toilet paper. It was inevitable, but who was the first to decide to make paper especially for that purpose?

WarPhalange said:
Toilet paper. It was inevitable, but who was the first to decide to make paper especially for that purpose?
I don't know who he was, but I'll bet he was left-handed.

You see, the reason we shake hands and salute and everything else with the right hand is because that is the hand we have traditionally eaten with - the clean hand.

On the other hand, all flush toilets are operated with the left hand because of the same traditions.

DaveC426913 said:

You see, the reason we shake hands and salute and everything else with the right hand is because that is the hand we have traditionally eaten with - the clean hand.

On the other hand, all flush toilets are operated with the left hand because of the same traditions.

yeah--the left hand is very sinister.

rewebster said:
yeah--the left hand is very sinister.
In heraldry, the bar separating the symbols of your families could mirror the direction of a right arm reaching for a sword (bar dexter) or the left arm reaching for a sword (bar sinister). Bar dexter indicated that you were the legitimate son of X and Y and bar sinister indicated that you were the illegitimate son of X and Y. Now you know why Underdog's nemesis was maned Simon Bar Sinister. A little inside joke for the writers to slip past the censors.

turbo-1 said:
In heraldry, the bar separating the symbols of your families could mirror the direction of a right arm reaching for a sword (bar dexter) or the left arm reaching for a sword (bar sinister). Bar dexter indicated that you were the legitimate son of X and Y and bar sinister indicated that you were the illegitimate son of X and Y. Now you know why Underdog's nemesis was maned Simon Bar Sinister. A little inside joke for the writers to slip past the censors.

o_O wow.

turbo-1 said:

A great story but would censors really object to implications of an illegitimate child?

DaveC426913 said:
A great story but would censors really object to implications of an illegitimate child?
They would have blocked any story-lines about Simon the Bastard!

I want to know who invented chicken.

glondor said:
I want to know who invented chicken.
Eggs.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:

Being right handed, wouldn't you wipe with your right hand? The handle is on the left because after you wipe, the left would be the clean hand. :smile:

I thought the tradition of shaking hands with the right was to prove you were not holding a weapon.

Evo said:
Being right handed, wouldn't you wipe with your right hand? The handle is on the left because after you wipe, the left would be the clean hand. :smile:

I thought the tradition of shaking hands with the right was to prove you were not holding a weapon.
That too.

But using one's right hand is not simply a personal preference, it is a societal and logistical convention - because of the swords, the saluting and the hand-shaking.

Evo said:

In Arab countries I believe it is quite the opposite. You shake with your right hand because that is the clean hand. The same with regard to eating or preparing food as well. You take food with your right, because reaching for communal food in the middle ... why that would be considered a matter of hygiene as well. Your companions might take offense.

One might imagine that such a custom would arise in a place without toilet paper - like say a desert?

if I remember reading 'right', its because in Europe (roman times/latin) most were right handed and the better you manuevered your hands the more dextrous (dexter 'latin'-right) you were; and, if you were left handed, you were odd (sinister 'latin'-left). --latin for hand is manus --and has many romantic language derivatives -manufacture, manicure, etc.

<h2>1. What are some examples of modern inventions in the home?</h2><p>Some examples of modern inventions in the home include smart home devices such as voice assistants, robotic vacuum cleaners, and smart refrigerators. Other modern inventions include energy-efficient appliances, touchless faucets, and wireless charging stations.</p><h2>2. How do these modern inventions make our lives easier?</h2><p>Modern inventions in the home make our lives easier by automating tasks, saving time and energy, and providing convenience. For example, smart home devices can control lighting, temperature, and security systems with a simple voice command, making it easier to manage the home.</p><h2>3. What impact do modern inventions have on the environment?</h2><p>Modern inventions in the home can have a positive impact on the environment by reducing energy consumption. Energy-efficient appliances and smart home devices can help conserve energy and reduce carbon emissions. Additionally, some modern inventions, such as composting systems and reusable products, can also help reduce waste and promote sustainability.</p><h2>4. Are there any downsides to relying on modern inventions in the home?</h2><p>While modern inventions in the home offer many benefits, there are some potential downsides to consider. For example, these devices may be more expensive than traditional options, and they may require a stable internet connection to function properly. Additionally, some people may have concerns about privacy and security when using smart home devices.</p><h2>5. How do modern inventions in the home continue to evolve?</h2><p>Modern inventions in the home are constantly evolving as technology advances. For example, smart home devices are becoming more integrated and interconnected, allowing for even greater automation and control. Additionally, there is a growing focus on sustainability and eco-friendly options in modern home inventions.</p>

1. What are some examples of modern inventions in the home?

Some examples of modern inventions in the home include smart home devices such as voice assistants, robotic vacuum cleaners, and smart refrigerators. Other modern inventions include energy-efficient appliances, touchless faucets, and wireless charging stations.

2. How do these modern inventions make our lives easier?

Modern inventions in the home make our lives easier by automating tasks, saving time and energy, and providing convenience. For example, smart home devices can control lighting, temperature, and security systems with a simple voice command, making it easier to manage the home.

3. What impact do modern inventions have on the environment?

Modern inventions in the home can have a positive impact on the environment by reducing energy consumption. Energy-efficient appliances and smart home devices can help conserve energy and reduce carbon emissions. Additionally, some modern inventions, such as composting systems and reusable products, can also help reduce waste and promote sustainability.

4. Are there any downsides to relying on modern inventions in the home?

While modern inventions in the home offer many benefits, there are some potential downsides to consider. For example, these devices may be more expensive than traditional options, and they may require a stable internet connection to function properly. Additionally, some people may have concerns about privacy and security when using smart home devices.

5. How do modern inventions in the home continue to evolve?

Modern inventions in the home are constantly evolving as technology advances. For example, smart home devices are becoming more integrated and interconnected, allowing for even greater automation and control. Additionally, there is a growing focus on sustainability and eco-friendly options in modern home inventions.