Modern Physics - velocity of electron accelerated through 6 Mev

In summary, the professor told us that in relativity, what we traditionally think of as KE is actually the gain in mass. So, we shouldn't be adding KE and mass together, but rather using Einstein's equation e=mc^2.
shivam01anand
Modern Physics -- velocity of electron accelerated through 6 Mev

Homework Statement

Electron accelerated through 6 Mev. from rest. My Answer was > speed of light

Homework Equations

Then our professor told us to not conserve KE only as mass was increased. Therefore use einstein's e=mc^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

he gave us the formulas of new mass vs old mass at rest.

I just don't get it why is mass increased as well as speed increased even though we're starting from rest

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi shivam01anand! welcome to pf! :smile:
shivam01anand said:
I just don't get it why is mass increased as well as speed increased even though we're starting from rest

mass is energy, energy is mass

in Newtonian physics, mass is constant, so (even though it's energy), we can ignore it in the conservation-of-energy equation!

in relativistic physics, mass is not constant, so the conservation-of-energy equation must include mass-after minus mass-before :wink:

Wait, How come if this same question came when i studied electric field and applied the wrong method[ i.e energy conservation] it would have been correct?

shivam01anand said:
Wait, How come if this same question came when i studied electric field and applied the wrong method[ i.e energy conservation] it would have been correct?

Because when you "studied electric field" you neglected relativistic effects.

Relativistic effects can be ignored for v< ~ 0.1c. If your computations using kinetic and potential energies indicate a velocity greater than about 0.1c then you must redo your computations using relativistic equations.

yes, for ordinary speeds, the error is less than 1 in 1012, way too small to take any notice of! :smile:

shivam01anand said:
Just to anticipate a possible misunderstanding...
In relativity, what you used to think of as KE is the gain in mass. So don't go calculating a gain in KE (by Newton) and a gain in mass (by Einstein) and adding them together.

shivam01anand said:

Don't feel bad. No one else 'got it' either until Einstein explained it in 1905. Even then, it took a while before many physicists 'got it'! :smile:

The argument about the validity of the concept of relativistic mass has been deleted. It's clear from the opening post that the answer is expected to be given using the framework of relativistic mass, so if you don't like relativistic mass, use it anyway or keep your fingers away from your keyboard.

Arguments about relativistic mass go in the relativity forum in the main Physics section.

Last edited:
jtbell said:
if you don't like relativistic mass, use it anyway or keep your fingers away from your keyboard.

lol funny

Related to Modern Physics - velocity of electron accelerated through 6 Mev

What is the velocity of an electron accelerated through 6 MeV?

The velocity of an electron accelerated through 6 MeV is approximately 9.47 x 10^6 meters per second. This value can be calculated using the equation v = √(2E/m), where v is the velocity in meters per second, E is the energy in electron volts (eV), and m is the mass of the electron in kilograms (kg).

How does the velocity of an electron change as it is accelerated through 6 MeV?

The velocity of an electron increases as it is accelerated through 6 MeV. This can be explained by the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. As the electron gains energy from the acceleration, its velocity also increases.

What factors can affect the velocity of an electron accelerated through 6 MeV?

The velocity of an electron accelerated through 6 MeV can be affected by various factors such as the strength of the electric field, the distance over which the electron is accelerated, and any external forces acting on the electron. Additionally, the mass of the electron and its initial velocity can also impact its final velocity after acceleration.

How is the velocity of an electron accelerated through 6 MeV measured?

The velocity of an electron accelerated through 6 MeV can be measured using various techniques such as time-of-flight measurements, magnetic spectrometry, and scattering experiments. These methods involve measuring the time taken for the electron to travel a certain distance or observing the deflection of the electron in a magnetic field, which can then be used to calculate its velocity.

What is the significance of studying the velocity of an electron accelerated through 6 MeV?

Studying the velocity of an electron accelerated through 6 MeV is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles at high energies. This knowledge is essential in fields such as nuclear physics, particle accelerators, and quantum mechanics. Additionally, it helps in the development of new technologies such as medical imaging and cancer treatment using high-energy electrons.