Relativity -- Momentum and energy

In summary, the proton's energy at rest is approximately 938 MeV. A Tevatron proton has a value of gamma equal to 10^6. When a Bevatron proton captures an electron, the electron's energy in the rest frame of Fermilab's sedentary buffalo herd can be calculated using the equation E = gamma * m * c^2, where gamma is equal to 10^6 and the mass m is equal to the mass of the electron.
erisedk

Homework Statement

(a) A proton at rest has energy Eproton = mprotonc2 ≈ 938 MeV. (Its momentum is zero). The protons which circulated inside the Fermilab Bevatron had energies close to 1000 GeV (1GeV = 1000 MeV). What value of γ did a Tevatron proton have?

(b) Somehow a Bevatron proton captures an electron, becoming a fast-moving hydrogen atom without changing its speed. An electron at rest has Eelectron = mec2 ≈ 0.511 MeV. What is the electron's energy in the rest frame of Fermilab's sedentary buffalo herd?

Homework Equations

##\gamma = \dfrac{1}{1-\beta^2}##
where ##β = \frac{v}{c} ##
KE = TE - BE (TE is total energy, BE is rest energy or binding energy)

The Attempt at a Solution

I just want to check if my solution is correct or not.
(a) p (momentum) = ##\sqrt{2mK}##
K = 106 MeV - 938 MeV
So, mv = ##\sqrt{2mK}##
v = ##\sqrt{\frac{2K}{m}}##
Substitute for K = 1.6 × 10-13 J and m = 1.67 × 10-27 kg and get v in m/s
Substitute v in the equation for ##\gamma##

(b) Energy = KE + BE
= ##\frac{m_e v^2}{2}## + 0.511 × 106 × 1.6 × 10-19
Substitute in v from above equation, and sub in mass of electron.

Are these calculations right?

Physics news on Phys.org
What about using ##E = \gamma mc^2##

For what part? The second?

erisedk said:
For what part? The second?
Why not both?

So you mean,
(a) ##\gamma = \dfrac{10^3}{938} ##

and
(b) ## E = \dfrac{10^3}{938} × 0.511 MeV ##

Why? Also, is my answer wrong?

erisedk said:
So you mean,
(a) ##\gamma = \dfrac{10^3}{938} ##

and
(b) ## E = \dfrac{10^3}{938} × 0.511 MeV ##

Why? Also, is my answer wrong?

Those should be ##10^6##, otherwise yes.

Note that, for a particle:

##\gamma = E/E_0##

So if you have the energies, there is no need for all those intermediate calculations, which I didn't check.

Oh, okay I get it!
And yeah, that was a careless error, it is 106
Thank you!

What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a set of two theories (special relativity and general relativity) developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. These theories describe how the laws of physics apply in different frames of reference, specifically for objects moving at high speeds or in gravitational fields.

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is the theory that deals with the relationship between space and time for objects moving at constant velocities. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocities.

What is general relativity?

General relativity is the theory that extends special relativity to include the effects of gravity. It explains how massive objects curve the fabric of space-time, and how this curvature affects the motion of other objects in the vicinity.

How does relativity affect momentum?

In relativity, momentum is no longer a constant quantity. It depends on the observer's frame of reference and changes with the speed of an object. As an object approaches the speed of light, its momentum increases significantly.

What is the equation for energy in relativity?

The equation for energy in relativity is E=mc^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. This equation shows that energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into one another. It also explains how energy increases as an object's velocity approaches the speed of light.