Modification in Coulomb's Law and its implications

In summary: Can you post any math that was used? Normally here at PF we only discuss the actual theories of physics, not alternative theories; but I can see the point of an exam question like this if it is to show you why an inverse square law matches our actual experience where an inverse cube law would not. But the answer should be based on math, not intuition.
Aastik Tripathi
If the coulomb's law instead of following an inverse square relationship, follows an inverse cube relationship, How would it affect an isolated charged conducting sphere? How would it's field vary within the volume and how would the volumetric charge density be affected?
Please give in some valuable insights , would be helpful .

Physics news on Phys.org
Aastik Tripathi said:
If the coulomb's law instead of following an inverse square relationship, follows an inverse cube relationship

It doesn't. Is there a particular reason why you are asking?

PeterDonis said:
It doesn't. Is there a particular reason why you are asking?
It came up when I was attending my classes , that in some examination this concept was asked using a charged spherical conductor as mentioned above, the answer was told that it there will not be any electric field inside the bulk of the conductor which was quite intuitive, however the charge density was claimed to be non zero, which was quite counter intuitive as I believed charges would experience repulsion when present in the bulk, that's why I posted this to clear the doubt .

Aastik Tripathi said:
in some examination this concept was asked using a charged spherical conductor as mentioned above, the answer was told that it there will not be any electric field inside the bulk of the conductor which was quite intuitive, however the charge density was claimed to be non zero, which was quite counter intuitive as I believed charges would experience repulsion when present in the bulk

Can you post any math that was used? Normally here at PF we only discuss the actual theories of physics, not alternative theories; but I can see the point of an exam question like this if it is to show you why an inverse square law matches our actual experience where an inverse cube law would not. But the answer should be based on math, not intuition.

Likes scottdave
Moderator's note: moved to homework forum.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the relationship between the electric forces acting between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What modifications have been made to Coulomb's Law?

One modification to Coulomb's Law is the addition of a dielectric constant in situations where the charged particles are in a medium other than a vacuum. This constant takes into account the effect of the medium on the electric force between the particles. Another modification is the inclusion of vector notation to account for the direction of the force.

3. What are the implications of the modifications to Coulomb's Law?

The inclusion of a dielectric constant allows for a more accurate calculation of the electric force in situations where the particles are in a medium, such as air or water. The use of vector notation allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the direction of the electric force and its components.

4. How do the modifications to Coulomb's Law affect its applications?

The modifications to Coulomb's Law make it a more versatile and accurate tool for calculating electric forces in various situations. The use of a dielectric constant allows for more accurate predictions in real-world scenarios, while the use of vector notation allows for a more precise understanding of the forces involved.

5. Are there any limitations to the modifications in Coulomb's Law?

Like any scientific law, Coulomb's Law is based on certain assumptions and may not accurately describe all situations. The modifications to the law may not take into account all factors that may affect the electric force, such as the presence of other particles or the effects of relativity at high speeds. Therefore, it is important to use caution and consider other factors when applying the modified Coulomb's Law in complex situations.