A neutral conducting cylindrical shell

In summary, the problem involves a neutral conducting cylindrical shell surrounding a charged insulated cylinder with varying volume charge density. The electric field is to be calculated using Gauss' Law for four different regions. The fourth region, where r > c, involves finding the total charge and determining the charge on the inner surface of the conductor. This can be done by considering a Gaussian cylinder of length L and finding the net charge within it, which is due to the inner cylinder.
maxd23

Homework Statement

A neutral conducting cylindrical shell with inner radius b and outer radius c surrounds a charged insulated cylinder of radius a at its center whose volume charge density varies radially away from the center as

ρ(r) = ρ0 (1− r / a) . A cross-sectional view is shown.

(a) Find the electric field as a function of r everywhere using Gauss’ Law for 4 regions: (i) 0 < r < a; (ii) a < r < b; (iii) b < r < c; (iv) r > c.

I'm Having trouble with the 4th part (iv) and what the charge on the inner surface of the conductor would be.

Homework Equations

E•dA = Qenc/E_0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have uploaded an image with my work
IMG_156C4BCCB854-1.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_156C4BCCB854-1.jpeg
    IMG_156C4BCCB854-1.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 755
Physics news on Phys.org
maxd23 said:
I have uploaded an image with my work
I like the clarity of your drawing (the ##c## is a bit dim:smile:), but the rest is rather difficult to read ...
Fortunately for part iv all you need to do is find the total charge and I suppose you did that ok?

BvU said:
I like the clarity of your drawing (the ##c## is a bit dim:smile:), but the rest is rather difficult to read ...
Fortunately for part iv all you need to do is find the total charge and I suppose you did that ok?
From my professor: "if you consider a gaussian cylinder with r>c of length L, you will have some net charge within it that will produce an electric field. Since the cylindrical shell is neutral, the charge is that due to the inner cylinder within the gaussian cylinder of length L"
I'm a bit confused

What is a neutral conducting cylindrical shell?

A neutral conducting cylindrical shell is a hollow, cylindrical object made of a material that allows for the free flow of electrons. This means that the charges inside the shell are evenly distributed, resulting in a net neutral charge.

What are some examples of neutral conducting cylindrical shells?

Some common examples of neutral conducting cylindrical shells include metal pipes, soda cans, and some types of batteries. These objects are designed to have a neutral charge to prevent the buildup of excess charge or static electricity.

How does a neutral conducting cylindrical shell maintain its neutral charge?

A neutral conducting cylindrical shell maintains its neutral charge by allowing any excess charges to move freely along its surface. This is known as the Faraday cage effect, where the charges distribute themselves evenly along the surface, resulting in a net neutral charge for the object.

What happens when a charged object is placed inside a neutral conducting cylindrical shell?

When a charged object is placed inside a neutral conducting cylindrical shell, the excess charges on the object will redistribute themselves along the surface of the shell. This results in a neutral charge for both the object and the shell, as the charges cancel each other out.

Can a neutral conducting cylindrical shell be used to shield from electric fields?

Yes, a neutral conducting cylindrical shell can be used to shield from electric fields. The excess charges on the surface of the shell will redistribute themselves to cancel out the electric field inside the shell, providing protection for objects or individuals inside.