Modified Heat Equation Solutions with Asymptotic Decay

In summary, the conversation discusses finding solutions to a heat equation with an extra term and using the Fourier transform to solve it. The method provided only gives smooth solutions, but it is mentioned that the equation is linear and as long as there are nice boundary conditions, the solution is unique. The conversation also discusses the difference between linear and quasi-linear equations.
bob321
Hi folks,

Given the following heat equation

[tex]u_t = u_{xx} + t - x^2,[/tex]

I'd like to find all solutions [tex]u(x,t)\in C^2(\mathbb{R}^2)[/tex] such that the quotient

[tex]|u(x,t)| / (|x|^5 + |t|^5)[/tex]

goes to zero as the sum [tex]|x| + |t|[/tex] goes to infinity.

I know how to do the same problem with the usual heat equation [tex]u_t = u_{xx}[/tex], but I'm not entirely sure how to deal with this extra [tex]t - x^2[/tex] term. I suspect I can still start by taking the Fourier transform (in x) of each side to get something like:

[tex]\partial_t \hat{u}(\xi,t) = \widehat{\partial_t u}(\xi, t) = -|\xi|^2 \hat{u}(\xi,t) + \widehat{t-x^2}(\xi) = -|\xi|^2\hat{u}(\xi, t) + t\delta(\xi) - \delta^{\prime\prime}(\xi),[/tex]

which gives me an ODE in t that is easy enough to solve. The issue is that I think this method only gives me smooth (by which I mean infinitely differentiable) solutions. Are there other [tex]C^2[/tex] solutions that I am missing with this approach?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
bob321 said:
Hi folks,

Given the following heat equation

[tex]u_t = u_{xx} + t - x^2,[/tex]
This solves "nicely" by a modified techinique using Seperation of Variables. If the boundary value problem is on a string of finite length I can post all the steps where are required to solve this analytically.

Your equation is linear, so, as long as you have nice boundary conditions, the solution is unique. Check your notes.

AiRAVATA said:
Your equation is linear, so, as long as you have nice boundary conditions, the solution is unique.
Why is it linear? Perhaps you mean to say it is quasi-linear. It cannot be linear for if u_1 and u_2 are solutions does not mean that u_1 + u_2 are solutions.

@bob321. I will post complete steps, but I am unable to since you do not provide a boundary and initial value problems.

The problem is over the entire real line so there are no boundary conditions, and the initial condition [tex]u(x,0)[\tex] can be an arbitrary [tex]C^2[\tex] function. I've actually since worked out the general solution using the Fourier transform, as I started to do in my original post.

Thanks.

Kummer said:
Why is it linear? Perhaps you mean to say it is quasi-linear. It cannot be linear for if u_1 and u_2 are solutions does not mean that u_1 + u_2 are solutions.

It is linear. If [itex]L=u_t+u_{xx},[/itex] then [itex]L[u_1+u_2]=L[u_1]+L[u_2][/itex]. What is not is homogeneous. A PDE is said to be quasilinear when is linear in the higher derivative term, but not necesarily in the terms of lower order.

bob321 said:
The problem is over the entire real line so there are no boundary conditions

That is a boundary condition. You want your solutions to converge at [itex]\pm \infty[/itex], so [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \pm \infty}u(x,t)=0[/itex].

Related to Modified Heat Equation Solutions with Asymptotic Decay

1. What is the Modified Heat Equation?

The Modified Heat Equation is a partial differential equation that describes the flow of heat in a material over time. It takes into account not only the diffusion of heat, but also the convection and generation of heat within the material.

2. How is the Modified Heat Equation different from the standard Heat Equation?

The Modified Heat Equation includes additional terms that account for convection and heat generation, making it more applicable to real-world situations where these factors may be present.

3. What are the applications of the Modified Heat Equation?

The Modified Heat Equation has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and materials science. It can be used to model heat transfer in systems like buildings, electronics, and chemical reactors.

4. What are the limitations of the Modified Heat Equation?

The Modified Heat Equation may not accurately describe highly non-linear or turbulent heat transfer processes. It also assumes a constant thermal conductivity, which may not hold true for all materials.

5. How is the Modified Heat Equation solved?

The Modified Heat Equation can be solved using numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element methods. Analytical solutions may also be possible for simplified cases.