Module Choice advice for a theoretical physics degree (Durham)

In summary, it does not matter which course you take initially, you can later choose which course to follow.
Mabey
I'm starting at Durham on the 29th of September and I need to get my module choices sorted. I have the choice between 40 credits of maths modules designed for scientists, and 40 credits of maths modules done by regular maths students. They say that you should only do the regular maths modules if you will transfer to the maths and physics course, but I'm not sure what would be best for my future plans(currently I plan to go on to do a PhD).

My question is, would the maths and physics course better prepare me for a PhD in theoretical physics or a similar field, or should I stay with the regular theoretical physics course. I've had a look at the future module choices myself, e.g. there is more GR in the fourth year for maths and physics, but obviously I don't really know what most of the modules actually entail since I'm only just starting.

here are the course structures for both courses(for the maths and physics one, go to the bottom of the pdf)

Maths and Physics: https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/degrees/frameworks/fgc0.pdf
Theoretical Physics: https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/degrees/frameworks/f344.pdf

Appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
In general it does not matter much. I know people that moved from physics (MSc) to mechanical engineering (PhD) and from mathematics to physics. The initial condition is less important than your ability to quickly master a topic. I think it is better to take the module that you think is the most interesting, as people tend to score better on topics that they like more.
You do not know yet your PhD topic so it is difficult to say what you would need for that. But all of these courses will exist when you start your PhD so you can follow necessary courses at the start of your PhD.

You can also look for Durham PhD theses on topics that you like and and find the supervising professors. Ask them their opinion on the different modules.

bigfooted said:
In general it does not matter much. I know people that moved from physics (MSc) to mechanical engineering (PhD) and from mathematics to physics. The initial condition is less important than your ability to quickly master a topic. I think it is better to take the module that you think is the most interesting, as people tend to score better on topics that they like more.
You do not know yet your PhD topic so it is difficult to say what you would need for that. But all of these courses will exist when you start your PhD so you can follow necessary courses at the start of your PhD.

You can also look for Durham PhD theses on topics that you like and and find the supervising professors. Ask them their opinion on the different modules.
Okay thank you, I think I'll stick with the regular modules

1. What are the required modules for a theoretical physics degree at Durham?

The required modules for a theoretical physics degree at Durham may vary slightly depending on the specific program, but generally include core courses in classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. Other required modules may include mathematical methods for physics, computational physics, and laboratory courses.

2. Can I choose my own modules for a theoretical physics degree at Durham?

Yes, Durham offers a variety of optional modules for students to choose from. However, some modules may have prerequisites or restrictions, so it is important to consult with your academic advisor before making your choices.

3. Are there any recommended modules for a theoretical physics degree at Durham?

Yes, there are several modules that are highly recommended for students pursuing a theoretical physics degree at Durham. These include courses in quantum field theory, general relativity, and statistical mechanics. It is also recommended to take courses in related fields such as mathematics, computer science, or philosophy.

4. Can I change my module choices after the start of the academic year?

In most cases, it is possible to change your module choices after the start of the academic year. However, this may be subject to availability and approval from your academic advisor. It is important to communicate any changes or concerns with your advisor as soon as possible.

5. How should I choose my modules for a theoretical physics degree at Durham?

When choosing modules, it is important to consider your interests, career goals, and any prerequisites or restrictions. It is also recommended to consult with your academic advisor for guidance and to ensure that your module choices align with your degree requirements. Additionally, you may want to consider taking a mix of theoretical and practical modules to develop a well-rounded understanding of physics.