Modulus of a complex number with hyperbolic functions

The common factor is ##\kappa^2 sin^2h(\alpha L)##.In summary, we are asked to show that the expression $$r = \frac{i\kappa\sinh(\alpha L)}{\alpha\cosh(\alpha L)-i\delta\sinh(\alpha L)}$$ simplifies to the form $$\left|r\right|^{2} = \boxed{\frac{\kappa^{2}\sinh^{2}(\alpha L)}{\alpha^{2}\cosh^{2}(\alpha L)+\delta^{2}\sinh^{2}(\alpha L)}}$$ and the author attempted to find the value of ##\left|r\right|^{2
roam

Homework Statement

For the expression

$$r = \frac{i\kappa\sinh(\alpha L)}{\alpha\cosh(\alpha L)-i\delta\sinh(\alpha L)} \tag{1}$$

Where ##\alpha=\sqrt{\kappa^{2}-\delta^{2}}##, I want to show that:

$$\left|r\right|^{2} = \left|\frac{i\kappa\sinh(\alpha L)}{\alpha\cosh(\alpha L)-i\delta\sinh(\alpha L)}\right|^{2} = \boxed{\frac{\kappa^{2}\sinh^{2}(\alpha L)}{\alpha^{2}\cosh^{2}(\alpha L)+\delta^{2}\sinh^{2}(\alpha L)}} \tag{2}$$

Homework Equations

For a complex number ##z## with complex conjugate ##\bar{z}##:

$$\left|z\right|^{2}=z\bar{z} \tag{3}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting from (1), I first multiplied the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator to get it in the form ##\underline{a+bi}##:

$$\frac{i\kappa\sinh(\alpha L)}{\alpha\cosh(\alpha L)-i\delta\sinh(\alpha L)}.\frac{\alpha\cosh(\alpha L)+i\delta\sinh(\alpha L)}{\alpha\cosh(\alpha L)+i\delta\sinh(\alpha L)}$$

$$=\frac{i\kappa\alpha\sinh(\alpha L)\cosh(\alpha L)-\kappa\delta\sinh^{2}(\alpha L)}{\alpha^{2}\cosh^{2}(\alpha L)+\delta^{2}\sinh^{2}(\alpha L)}.$$

Then I multiplied the expression by its own complex conjugate to find ##\left|r\right|^{2}##:

$$\frac{-\kappa\delta\sinh^{2}(\alpha L)+i\kappa\alpha\sinh(\alpha L)\cosh(\alpha L)}{\alpha^{2}\cosh^{2}(\alpha L)+\delta^{2}\sinh^{2}(\alpha L)}.\frac{\left(-\kappa\delta\sinh^{2}(\alpha L)-i\kappa\alpha\sinh(\alpha L)\cosh(\alpha L)\right)}{\alpha^{2}\cosh^{2}(\alpha L)+\delta^{2}\sinh^{2}(\alpha L)}$$

$$=\frac{\kappa^{2}\delta^{2}\sinh^{4}(\alpha L)+\kappa^{2}\alpha^{2}\sinh^{2}(\alpha L)\cosh^{2}(\alpha L)}{\alpha^{4}\cosh^{4}(\alpha L)+2\alpha^{2}\delta^{2}\cosh^{2}(\alpha L)\sinh^{2}(\alpha L)+\delta^{4}\sinh^{4}(\alpha L)}$$

But this is not the correct answer given in (2). Am I doing something wrong? :confused: Or do I need to use some hyperbolic identities to make simplifications?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:
Starting from (1), I first multiplied the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator ...
I think your life would be simpler if you multiplied ##r## by its complex conjugate to get ##|r|^2## directly.

Likes roam
Kuruman is right, but to answer your question
roam said:
But this is not the correct answer given in (2).
It is the same. You just need to find and eliminate the common factor.

Likes roam

1. What is the formula for calculating the modulus of a complex number with hyperbolic functions?

The modulus of a complex number with hyperbolic functions can be calculated using the formula: |z| = √(x² + y²), where z = x + iy and x and y are real numbers.

2. How is the modulus of a complex number with hyperbolic functions related to its real and imaginary parts?

The modulus of a complex number with hyperbolic functions is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its real and imaginary parts. This can be represented mathematically as |z| = √(Re(z)² + Im(z)²).

3. Can the modulus of a complex number with hyperbolic functions be a negative value?

No, the modulus of a complex number with hyperbolic functions is always a positive value. This is because it represents the distance of the complex number from the origin on the complex plane.

4. How does the modulus of a complex number with hyperbolic functions affect its representation on the complex plane?

The modulus of a complex number with hyperbolic functions determines the distance of the point representing the complex number from the origin on the complex plane. This means that a larger modulus will result in a point that is further from the origin, and a smaller modulus will result in a point that is closer to the origin.

5. What is the significance of the modulus of a complex number with hyperbolic functions in mathematics and physics?

The modulus of a complex number with hyperbolic functions has various applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in the study of exponential growth and decay, as well as in the analysis of electrical circuits and oscillatory systems. It also plays a role in quantum mechanics and signal processing.