Mössbauer Effect Explained: Physics & Effects

• Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date
In summary: Secondly, what is the reverse transition? If it means that they can be reabsorbed by another nucleus of the same matterial, then it should excite it in the same energy level and not less. Suppose you have a 3MeV ray emitted from the 1st nucleus, it should excite the 2nd to 3 MeV again...and so on...Finally I don't understand why nuclei have fixed positions in a crystal and the recoil is taking place for the crystal as a whole. Couldn't they be recoiled but nothing happen to the crystal? like for example cause some oscillations within it. As far
ChrisVer
Gold Member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mössbauer_effect

I was looking at this article, trying to prepare myself for experimenting this effect. What I understood is that Moessbauer effect explains the reason why you can have gamma absorbtion/emission in solids while you can't for gases.
However at the description it says:
In a transition of a nucleus from a higher to a lower energy state with accompanying emission of gamma rays, the emission generally causes the nucleus to recoil, and this takes energy from the emitted gamma rays. Thus the gamma rays do not have sufficient energy to excite a target nucleus to be examined. However, Mössbauer discovered that is possible to have transitions in which the recoil is absorbed by a whole crystal in which the emitting nucleus is bound. Under these circumstances, the energy that goes into the recoil is a negligible portion of the energy of the transition. Therefore the emitted gamma rays carry virtually all of the energy liberated by the nuclear transition. The gamma rays thus are able to induce a reverse transition, under similar conditions of negligible recoil, in a target nucleus of the same material as the emitter but in a lower energy state

From this I don't understand what's the problem of the recoiling...
You send some gamma on a nucleus, it gets excited and then it emits the extra energy in another gamma and recoiling. Why should we care about the last gamma's energy?

Secondly, what is the reverse transition? If it means that they can be reabsorbed by another nucleus of the same matterial, then it should excite it in the same energy level and not less. Suppose you have a 3MeV ray emitted from the 1st nucleus, it should excite the 2nd to 3 MeV again...and so on...

Finally I don't understand why nuclei have fixed positions in a crystal and the recoil is taking place for the crystal as a whole. Couldn't they be recoiled but nothing happen to the crystal? like for example cause some oscillations within it. As far as I know the states [gas to solid] is an atomic thing, so why would it concern the nuclei?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to read beyond wikipedia - which is not, on the whole, very good for learning physics or preparing for a physics course. What other sources have you tried?

Did you see what the phenomena of the mossbauer effect is - think about it in terms of an experimental setup: what gets detected?

ChrisVer said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mössbauer_effect

I was looking at this article, trying to prepare myself for experimenting this effect. What I understood is that Moessbauer effect explains the reason why you can have gamma absorbtion/emission in solids while you can't for gases.
However at the description it says:From this I don't understand what's the problem of the recoiling...
You send some gamma on a nucleus, it gets excited and then it emits the extra energy in another gamma and recoiling. Why should we care about the last gamma's energy?

Secondly, what is the reverse transition? If it means that they can be reabsorbed by another nucleus of the same matterial, then it should excite it in the same energy level and not less. Suppose you have a 3MeV ray emitted from the 1st nucleus, it should excite the 2nd to 3 MeV again...and so on...

Finally I don't understand why nuclei have fixed positions in a crystal and the recoil is taking place for the crystal as a whole. Couldn't they be recoiled but nothing happen to the crystal? like for example cause some oscillations within it. As far as I know the states [gas to solid] is an atomic thing, so why would it concern the nuclei?
I think the transition in question has a relatively long life (compared with its energy), so that gammas emitted would, if the nucleus could be "bolted down", have a very narrow energy spectrum, Δ, the recoil can however "smear out" the narrow gamma spectrum.

I think that under the right conditions the gravitational energy difference of 3 or 4 stories is enough to shift the energy between the emitter and absorber so that they are off resonance, the energy spectrum is that narrow. Also, at relative speeds between the emitter and absorber of order mm/ sec is enough to doppler shift out of resonance.

At room temperature, after a gamma emission, the nucleus has two options, produce a quantum of sound, a phonon, or give its recoil energy to the the crystal as a whole. At room temp with many phonons around you might say that the existing phonons stimulate the emission of another phonon of the same type? This smears out the energy of the emitted gammas.

At low temps with fewer phonons they don't do as much stimulation so we get more phonon-less gamma emission.

Hopefully better late then never.

See also,

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/mossfe.html

Last edited:
ChrisVer said:
You send some gamma on a nucleus, it gets excited and then it emits the extra energy in another gamma and recoiling.
How do you get the initial photon with "exactly" the right energy? It has to be a bit higher than the transition energy as the excited atom will move (due to the momentum of the photon).

But without the Moessbauer effect, the photon won't have 3 MeV, it just has 2.9999 MeV (or something similar).

The electrons follow the nucleus. A nuclear recoil is always a recoil of the whole atom. How do you imagine "nothing happens" if you start moving an atom?

for the last- Suppose that the recoil energy will be of the order of 1 MeV (and I'm exaggerating, eg for the Fe57 it's ~[itex]\frac{196keV^2}{2m_p}[/itex])... the mass of the atom will be at least of 1GeV ([itex]\sim m_{p}[/itex].. I didn't thinnk its velocity will be so large to change anything within the lattice

Exciting a phonon ("sound") needs tiny energies, some meV (milli, not Mega!) are sufficient. Displacing atoms in crystal lattices is possible with typical energies of 10 to 100 eV.

What is the Mössbauer effect?

The Mössbauer effect, also known as nuclear gamma resonance, is a physical phenomenon in which gamma rays are absorbed and re-emitted by atomic nuclei without any change in their energy. This effect is used to study the properties of atomic nuclei and has important applications in physics, chemistry, and materials science.

How does the Mössbauer effect work?

The Mössbauer effect is based on the principle of recoilless nuclear resonance absorption. When a gamma ray interacts with an atomic nucleus, it can be absorbed and re-emitted without any energy loss if the nucleus is in a certain energy state. This is possible because the momentum of the nucleus is conserved even when the gamma ray is absorbed and re-emitted. This effect is only observed in certain types of atoms, such as iron, and requires precise control of temperature and other experimental conditions.

What are the applications of the Mössbauer effect?

The Mössbauer effect has a wide range of applications in various fields of science and technology. It is used to study the properties of atomic nuclei, such as nuclear energy levels and magnetic moments. In chemistry, it is used to study the structure and dynamics of molecules. In materials science, it is used to analyze the crystal structure and chemical composition of materials. The Mössbauer effect is also used in medical imaging and in the development of new materials for industrial and technological applications.

What are the advantages of using the Mössbauer effect in research?

One of the main advantages of using the Mössbauer effect in research is its high sensitivity and precision. This technique can detect extremely small changes in the energy levels of atomic nuclei, making it a powerful tool for studying the properties of materials. It also allows for non-destructive analysis, meaning that samples can be studied without altering or damaging them. Additionally, the Mössbauer effect can be used to study materials at very low temperatures, providing valuable insights into their behavior and properties.

What are some examples of practical applications of the Mössbauer effect?

The Mössbauer effect has been applied in various fields, including physics, chemistry, and materials science. One example is its use in the study of the Earth's core, where the Mössbauer effect has provided valuable insights into the chemical composition and state of iron in the core. In chemistry, it has been used to study the movement of atoms in chemical reactions and the properties of catalysts. In materials science, the Mössbauer effect has been used to analyze the structure of materials used in electronics, solar cells, and superconductors. It has also been used in medical research to study the distribution of iron in the body and to develop new treatments for iron-related diseases.