Molarity given percent solution and density.

In summary: In the 12.0% solutionIn summary, Lactose (C12H22O11; MM=342) is a sugar found in mamalian milk with a density of 1.06 g/mL in a 12.0% solution. The molarity, molality, and mole fraction of the solution can be calculated by converting the percentage to grams of lactose, then using the molar mass to convert to moles. From there, the molarity, molality, and mole fraction can be determined.
webz

Homework Statement

Lactose (C12H22O11; MM=342) is a sugar found in mamalian milk. The density of a 12.0% solution is approximately 1.06 g/mL. What is the molarity, molality, and mole fraction of the solution?

Homework Equations

M=g/L, m=mol/kg, molefraction=mol/mol??

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I can get this one if I can just determine the molarity. I definitely did something wrong.

M=mol/L
1.06 / 1000 = .00106; .00106/342 = 3.099x10^-6M
I figured since I know g/mL as well as mol/g, I can divide to get mol/mL, then convert to get L. Apparently this is not the case?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track, just a few things you need to pay attention to:

1.06 grams of solution contains how many grams of lactose?

Also, show your units at all steps of the calculation to make sure you're converting correctly.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hmm, then let me try this again. I just want to find the moles of Lactose for now, then I think I got the rest.

1.06 g/mL * 1mol/342g * 12% lactose = 3.719x10^-4

Does that look right?

Thanks for the help btw.

That looks good, but remember to keep track of the units.

webz said:
I just want to find the moles of Lactose for now

Moles of lactose in what?

--

Related to Molarity given percent solution and density.

1. What is the formula for calculating molarity from a percent solution and density?

The formula for calculating molarity from a percent solution and density is: Molarity (M) = (percent solution / 100) * (density / molar mass)

2. How do you convert a percent solution to molarity?

To convert a percent solution to molarity, you need to know the density of the solution and the molar mass of the solute. Then, use the formula: Molarity (M) = (percent solution / 100) * (density / molar mass)

3. What is the difference between molarity and percent solution?

Molarity is a measure of the concentration of a solution in moles per liter, while percent solution is a measure of the amount of solute in a solution as a percentage of the total volume.

4. Can you use any density unit to calculate molarity from a percent solution?

No, the density unit used must be in grams per milliliter (g/mL) in order for the formula to work correctly.

5. How does temperature affect the calculation of molarity from a percent solution and density?

Temperature can affect the density of a solution, so it is important to use the density at the same temperature as the percent solution when calculating molarity. Additionally, the molar mass of the solute may also change with temperature, so it is important to use the correct molar mass for the temperature of the solution.