What Does Molecular Orbital Theory Say About the Overlap of Atomic Orbitals?

In summary, according to MO theory, overlap of two s atomic orbitals produces one bonding molecular orbital and one antibonding molecular orbital. This is why the answer to the question is one bonding molecular orbital and one antibonding molecular orbital.
jdawg
Hey! So I'm a little fuzzy on my understanding of MO theory. One question I had on my study guide said that according to MO theory, overlap of two s atomic orbitals produces _________. I know the answer is one bonding molecular orbitals and one antibonding molecular orbital. Why is this?

Also I would like to know how many bonding and antibonding molecular orbitals would be produced from various combinations of s and p orbitals. If someone could provide me with a few examples I would really appreciate it!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
jdawg said:
Hey! So I'm a little fuzzy on my understanding of MO theory. One question I had on my study guide said that according to MO theory, overlap of two s atomic orbitals produces _________. I know the answer is one bonding molecular orbitals and one antibonding molecular orbital. Why is this?

Also I would like to know how many bonding and antibonding molecular orbitals would be produced from various combinations of s and p orbitals. If someone could provide me with a few examples I would really appreciate it!

Hmmm. I don't find that to be a very reasonable answer to the question. Overlap of two atomic orbitals in general always produces one "bonding" molecular orbital and one "anti-bonding" orbital. They do not need to be s-orbitals. I would have been confident of writing "sigma and sigma* MOs" as the answer if I saw that question on a test.

In general, if you combine n atomic orbitals (or n molecular orbitals to see what the new ones will look like), you will get n molecular orbitals out. "Bonding" and "anti-bonding" classifications are approximate and only definitive when used with respect to the overlap of 2 orbitals (2 s orbitals or 2 p_z orbitals gives sigma and sigma*, where z is the internuclear axis by convention; 2 p_y or p_x orbitals gives pi and pi*). The reasoning requires a little quantitative knowledge of MO theory (though not the background behind that). You could look into LCAO for that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_combination_of_atomic_orbitals

Note that the method is far more powerful than just the use you have suggested (combining atomic orbitals in diatomics). Wikipedia gives an example for water, for instance. For larger molecules, you are likelier to use combinations of hybrid orbitals, which in turn can be derived from LCAO. (You could still try using hybrid orbitals for water, taking O as sp3 with reduced character compared to a normal sp3 hybrid.)

Astudious said:
For larger molecules, you are likelier to use combinations of hybrid orbitals, which in turn can be derived from LCAO. (You could still try using hybrid orbitals for water, taking O as sp3 with reduced character compared to a normal sp3 hybrid.)
To use hybrid orbitals as a starting point in LCAO is not very usual. Rather you normally calculate "canonical" MO's which extend over the whole molecule. These can be transformed into localized orbitals in a second step if desired. These bond orbitals directly yield the relative contribution of s and p orbitals to the bonding without having to assume a hybridization a priori.

What is Molecular Orbital Theory?

Molecular Orbital Theory is a model used to describe the behavior and properties of molecules by looking at the arrangement of electrons within the molecule. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and helps to explain the bonding and structure of molecules.

How does Molecular Orbital Theory differ from Valence Bond Theory?

Molecular Orbital Theory differs from Valence Bond Theory in that it considers all of the electrons in a molecule, rather than just the valence electrons. It also describes bonding as the result of overlapping atomic orbitals, rather than the sharing of electrons between atoms.

What are the key assumptions of Molecular Orbital Theory?

The key assumptions of Molecular Orbital Theory include the idea that electrons in a molecule can be described by wave functions, and that the wave functions of the individual atoms overlap to form molecular orbitals. It also assumes that electrons in these molecular orbitals will fill according to the Aufbau principle and Hund's rule.

How is the bonding and antibonding nature of molecular orbitals determined?

The bonding and antibonding nature of molecular orbitals is determined by comparing the energies of the atomic orbitals that combine to form the molecular orbitals. If the energy of the molecular orbital is lower than the energy of the atomic orbitals, it is considered a bonding orbital. If the energy is higher, it is considered an antibonding orbital.

What are the limitations of Molecular Orbital Theory?

One limitation of Molecular Orbital Theory is that it is a complex and mathematically intense model, making it difficult to apply to larger molecules. It also does not provide a complete picture of the electron distribution in a molecule, as it only considers the average behavior of electrons and not their specific positions. Additionally, it does not account for the effects of electron correlation, which can play a significant role in the properties of some molecules.