Molecular Orbits....what exactly is meant by orbitals having phase?

In summary: The wavefunction is describing the probability of finding an electron at a certain location. Waveforms can be described in many ways, including as a sound wave, an electromagnetic wave, or a physical wave on the ocean. But the wavefunction is the simplest and most abstract way to describe them.
CuriousBanker
Hello. I understand constructive/destructive interference for waves in general. But why do orbitals have phase? What is meant by phase for an orbital? What is the phase describing? Isn't the wave function describing where you are likely to locate the electron? Why is one positive and one negative (or one red and one blue)? I don't get what it is, or how two atoms forming a molecule and can have both constructive and destructive interference at the same time

Chemistry news on Phys.org
CuriousBanker said:
Why is one positive and one negative (or one red and one blue)?

The wavefunction can yield either a positive or negative value I believe, but it is the value squared that determines the probability. Hence you can have a negative value for the wavefunction and still get a positive result for the probability.

CuriousBanker said:
I don't get what it is, or how two atoms forming a molecule and can have both constructive and destructive interference at the same time

Unfortunately the wave function is not a physical wave like you can see on the ocean, nor is it a sound wave which you can feel, nor is it an electromagnetic wave which can be picked up by antennas. It is much more abstract. The best way I can describe it (and others will probably be able to describe it much better since I don't understand it that well) is that nature behaves in a way which can only be described by using math that is very similar to what describes classical waves. So we call the equation which governs this behavior a wave function.

What exactly is 'waving' here is, well, nothing. That's part of the abstractness and is one of the things that makes quantum physics so non-intuitive to newcomers.

I can get behind that idea...I'm guessing when I get to quantum I'll understand it better? I'm still years away lol

Drakkith said:
What exactly is 'waving' here is, well, nothing. That's part of the abstractness and is one of the things that makes quantum physics so non-intuitive to newcomers.

I would not phrase it that way. Orbitals are true matter waves. Like other waves, a key feature is that matter waves, including orbitals, will interfere with other waves of the same type. If this were not so, devices like the atom interferometer would not be possible. See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atom_interferometer
If two matter waves are "out of phase" then destructive interference occurs and the matter in question has a much lower probability of being found in the location of destructive interference. If two matter waves are "in phase" then constructive interference occurs and the matter in question has a higher probability of being found in the location of constructive interference. This is analogous to how a photon is more likely to be found when electromagnetic waves are in phase.

As with most waves, the interference concept and implications of phase are easier to visualize when considering traveling waves than standing waves. Orbitals are standing waves, which makes phase harder to visualize. Orbitals are further complicated compared with most other waves, because the wavelength is changing along most paths over which one would consider questions of amplitude and phase. But these complications don't really change the meaning of "phase" in the context of orbitals. One can think of the orbitals that exist as the ones where following the wave over allowed periodic classical paths produces constructive interference.

Dr. Courtney said:
I would not phrase it that way. Orbitals are true matter waves. Like other waves, a key feature is that matter waves, including orbitals, will interfere with other waves of the same type. If this were not so, devices like the atom interferometer would not be possible.

Ah, but there's still the question, "what is waving?"

1. What are molecular orbitals?

Molecular orbitals are regions of space around a molecule where electrons are most likely to be found. They are formed by the combination of atomic orbitals from the individual atoms in the molecule.

2. How are molecular orbitals formed?

Molecular orbitals are formed through the process of molecular orbital theory, which combines the wave functions of the atomic orbitals from each atom in the molecule. This results in the formation of bonding and anti-bonding orbitals.

3. What is the significance of bonding and anti-bonding orbitals?

Bonding orbitals are lower in energy and contribute to the stability of a molecule, while anti-bonding orbitals are higher in energy and can decrease the stability of a molecule. The combination of these orbitals determines the overall stability and properties of a molecule.

4. What is meant by orbitals having phase?

Orbitals having phase refers to the wave-like nature of electrons. Electrons in orbitals can be described as having a positive or negative phase, which affects their behavior and interactions with other electrons in the molecule.

5. How does the phase of orbitals affect molecular properties?

The phase of orbitals can affect the overall shape and symmetry of a molecule, as well as its electronic and magnetic properties. The combination of orbitals with different phases can also result in the formation of different types of bonds in a molecule.