Moles in a Cat: Calculating Atoms in 12 kg

• Thread starter GingerBread27
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moles
In summary, Gingerbread27 has asked you to approximate how many moles of atoms are in a 12 kg cat. You estimate that there are 305 mol of atoms in a 12 kg cat.
GingerBread27
I have to approximately figure out, to the nearest order of magnitude, how many moles of atoms there are in a 12 kg cat.You are also told that The masses of a hydrogen atom, an oxygen atom, and a carbon atom are 1.0 u, 16 u, and 12 u. .

all i know is that 1 u=1.66 x 10^-27 kg.
From here I am unsure where to go.

Physics news on Phys.org
1 mole contains an Avogadro's amount of atoms (Avogadro's no = 6.022 x 10^23), that should help you a bit.

Yes I knew that before working on this problem and yet I'm still lost.

In what proportion are the main ingrediants found in the cat (ie cat's are 80% water). If you know the mass the proportion of the three elements then you should eb able to find number of moles of atoms.

I have no other information besides what I wrote before.

Then make some assumptions or do some research. How much water is in a cat? Once you know that you can 'assume' the rest or a portion of the rest is carbon. Once you know how much water is in a cat and the mass of the cat you can easily calculate the moles og H and O. Once you make your assumption about C then you'll be able to calculate the number of C atoms.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/howto9.html

The above link says: "...Water comprises from about 95 percent of the new-born kitten to about 75 percent of the adult cat..."

So you have H and O...maybe an estimate is in order?

Im having difficulty with the same problem ;-). I PMed you GingerBread27 with a question FYI :-). Best of luck.

k, i just did the problem myself...follow me...

H= 1.0u
O= 16.0u
C= 12.0u

we don't know the age of the kitten so let's say roughtly 80% of the given cat is water

in my version of the problem, my cat is 5 kg...therefore

80% x 5 kg = 4 kg = amount of H20

convert to grams...(habit from chemistry)

4kg = 4000g

4000gH20 x (1 mol H20/ 18g H20) = 222 mol H20

we have 1 kg of the 'cat' unallocated therefore let the remaining carbon equal the 1 kg

1000gC x (1 mol C / 12g C) = 83.3 mol C

total 'molage' => 222+83 = 305 mol

and i was told by my school online software that this was correct. hope this helps...if i made a mistake i apologize - its 1:40 am! Cheerz.

Related to Moles in a Cat: Calculating Atoms in 12 kg

1. How many moles of atoms are in 12 kg of cat?

The number of moles of atoms in 12 kg of cat would depend on the type of atoms present in the cat, as well as their relative abundance. It is not possible to accurately determine the number of moles without this information.

2. How do you calculate the number of atoms in 12 kg of cat?

To calculate the number of atoms in 12 kg of cat, you would need to know the molecular weight of the cat's components, as well as their relative proportions. This information would then be used in the formula: Number of atoms = (mass in grams/molecular weight) x Avogadro's number. However, this calculation would only give an estimate as the molecular composition of a cat is complex and varies.

3. Can moles of atoms be converted to kilograms?

No, moles of atoms and kilograms are two different units of measurement and cannot be directly converted. Moles of atoms refer to the number of particles present, while kilograms refer to the mass of the substance.

4. Is it possible to have a negative number of moles in a cat?

No, it is not possible to have a negative number of moles in a cat. Moles are a unit of measurement and cannot be negative. However, if the cat has ingested a substance that reacts with the atoms in its body, the number of moles may decrease temporarily.

5. How does the concept of moles apply to a cat?

The concept of moles applies to a cat in the same way it applies to any other substance. It is a unit of measurement used to quantify the number of atoms or molecules present. In the case of a cat, the moles would refer to the atoms and molecules that make up its body and its various components.