Atomic Mass and Rest Energy

In summary, nuclear binding energy is a measure of how much energy is needed to combine the particles in the nucleus to form a stable atom. The difference in mass accounts for the binding energy when the particles are combined to form the nucleus.
fridakahlo

Homework Statement

"You might wonder how six protons and six neutrons, each having a mass larger than 1 u, can be combined with six electrons to form a carbon-12 atom having a mass of exactly 12 u. The bound system of carbon-12 has a lower rest energy than that of six separate protons and six separate neutrons. According to E=mc^2, this lower rest energy corresponds to a smaller mass for the bound system. The difference in mass accounts for the binding energy when the particles are combined to form the nucleus."

Homework Equations

E=mc^2
1amu= 1.660539e-27 kg

The Attempt at a Solution

I came across this passage in my textbook, and I'm having difficulty in seeing how the rest energy for carbon-12 can be lower than that of six separate protons or six separate neutrons. My understanding is that the more mass the greater the rest energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
As a little hint...
To solve your confusion on how the total mass can be equal to 12u, when the protons are bonded, some of their mass is expended as energy for the bonding, resulting in the 12u.
:smile:

Likes fridakahlo
Thank you! (: I just finished reading up on nuclear binding energy, and it has become a lot clearer now.

Likes Uranic_Wabbit
fridakahlo said:
Thank you! (: I just finished reading up on nuclear binding energy, and it has become a lot clearer now.
Great Job! :smile:
Always to be sure to check your textbook for topics that are somewhat confusing or which you are not particularly sure on, and if that doesn't work it is always fine to look up the term itself on the browser. Heads up, make sure not to simply look up the solution until you have an answer you are somewhat confident about. Not doing this results in all your previous work on the problem turning obsolete.
:wink:

1. What is atomic mass?

Atomic mass refers to the mass of an atom, which is made up of protons, neutrons, and electrons. It is measured in atomic mass units (amu) and is typically listed on the periodic table for each element.

2. How is atomic mass different from atomic weight?

Atomic mass is the mass of an individual atom, while atomic weight is the average mass of all the isotopes of a particular element. Atomic weight takes into account the abundance of each isotope in nature.

3. What is rest energy?

Rest energy is the energy an object has when it is at rest. In the context of atomic mass, it refers to the energy of an atom when its protons, neutrons, and electrons are not moving.

4. How is rest energy related to atomic mass?

Einstein's famous formula, E=mc², shows the relationship between mass and energy. Rest energy is the equivalent energy of an object's mass, and in the case of atoms, it contributes to the overall atomic mass.

5. How is atomic mass and rest energy measured and calculated?

Atomic mass is measured using mass spectrometry, which separates the isotopes of an element and determines their relative abundances. Rest energy is calculated using Einstein's formula, E=mc², where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light.