Moment of inertia about a perpendicular axis through its center?

In summary, the CD's moment of inertia for rotation about a perpendicular axis through its center is 5.90625 kg*m^2.
sp3sp2sp

Homework Statement

A 15-cm-diameter CD has a mass of 21 g .
What is the CD's moment of inertia for rotation about a perpendicular axis through its center?

Homework Equations

I = (1/2)MR^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I = (1/2)(0.21g).((15/2)^2)
= 5.9*10^-4 kg*m^2

cant see what I am doing wrong but mastering physics says this is the wrong answer. thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Apart from the mixed up units, you seem to use 0.21 g instead of 21 g. What's the book's answer?

thanks i fixed the units but i don't have answer because its mastering physics. I've used 1 attempt so far and my answer is definitely wrong in some way

I = (1/2)(0.21kg).((0.15m/2)^2)

= 5.9v*v10^-4 kg*m^2

sp3sp2sp said:
thanks i fixed the units but i don't have answer because its mastering physics. I've used 1 attempt so far and my answer is definitely wrong in some way

I = (1/2)(0.21kg).((0.15m/2)^2)

= 5.9v*v10^-4 kg*m^2

Again there seems to be a problem with the mass: 1000 g = 1 kg ##\rightarrow## 21 g = ...

wow that was a dumb error. Ok so it should be

I = (1/2)(0.021kg).((0.15m/2)^2)

= 5.9v*v10^-5 kg*m^2

But mastering-p didnt say i have a "rounding error" or something..it just said its wrong. So is this answer correct though befiore I submit again? thanks

sp3sp2sp said:
wow that was a dumb error. Ok so it should be

I = (1/2)(0.021kg).((0.15m/2)^2)

= 5.9v*v10^-5 kg*m^2

But mastering-p didnt say i have a "rounding error" or something..it just said its wrong. So is this answer correct though befiore I submit again? thanks

The formula seems to be correct to me, my calculator says: 5.90625 ⋅ 10-5, but I don't know how you are expected to round or if there is something else to consider, but the formula yields the moment of inertia for a solid cylinder rotating around its vertical axis ...

1. What is the moment of inertia about a perpendicular axis through its center?

The moment of inertia about a perpendicular axis through its center is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion when a force is applied to it. It is often denoted by the symbol I and is dependent on the mass distribution of the object.

2. How do you calculate the moment of inertia about a perpendicular axis through its center?

The moment of inertia about a perpendicular axis through its center can be calculated using the formula I = Σmr², where m is the mass of each individual particle in the object and r is the perpendicular distance from the particle to the axis of rotation.

3. What are the units of moment of inertia about a perpendicular axis through its center?

The units of moment of inertia about a perpendicular axis through its center depend on the units used for mass and distance in the calculation. Commonly used units include kg·m² and g·cm².

4. Can the moment of inertia about a perpendicular axis through its center be negative?

No, the moment of inertia about a perpendicular axis through its center cannot be negative as it is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion and therefore must always be a positive value.

5. How does the moment of inertia about a perpendicular axis through its center affect an object's motion?

The moment of inertia about a perpendicular axis through its center affects an object's motion by determining how much torque is required to cause the object to rotate. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will require more torque to rotate compared to objects with a smaller moment of inertia.