Moment of Inertia about the CoM

In summary: Basically you are saying that the moment of inertia is the same for both masses in the presence of a force, provided that the distance between the masses is kept constant. Sorry, but I'm not at all sure what the above is saying. What do you mean by "Icm (relative to smaller mass)"? Do you mean the Icm of the smaller mass about its own centre? And what does "the distance from the center of mass relative to each mass" mean? Are you saying r1 is the distance from the center of m1 to the CoM of the combination, likewise r2, m2?
Redfire66

Homework Statement

A puck of mass 82.0g and radius 4.09cm slides along an air table at a speed of v = 1.59m/s. It makes a glancing collision with a second puck of radius 6.97cm and mass 130g (initially at rest) such that their rims just touch. The pucks stick together and spin after the collision (b). What is the angular momentum of the system relative to the center of mass?

Homework Equations

Angular Momentum (Conserved)
Center of Mass

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the first part, using center of mass relative of the larger mass and speed of the smaller mass giving me an initial value of angular momentum during the first part of collision of 8.84×10-3 kg*m^2/s. (This is confirmed to be correct)
However the second part I'm having trouble figuring out the moment of inertia. I thought that since angular momentum is conserved, I would have L/I = ω
And I = Icm (relative to smaller mass) + m1r1^2 + Icm(relative to larger mass) + m2r2^2
Where Icm = 1/2 mr^2 (r is the distance from the center of mass relative to each mass)
According to the textbook the answer should be about 8.85rad/s however I keep getting 9.00rad/s
Not really sure what I'm doing wrong, is my perspective on center of mass wrong? Since I can't think of another way the center of mass can be set a distance of. Also I'm not really sure about the parallel axis theorem if you could also explain how it comes into play when creating a formula for moments of inertia
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Redfire66 said:
I = Icm (relative to smaller mass) + m1r1^2 + Icm(relative to larger mass) + m2r2^2
Where Icm = 1/2 mr^2 (r is the distance from the center of mass relative to each mass)
Sorry, but I'm not at all sure what the above is saying. What do you mean by "Icm (relative to smaller mass)"? Do you mean the Icm of the smaller mass about its own centre? And what does "the distance from the center of mass relative to each mass" mean? Are you saying r1 is the distance from the centre of m1 to the CoM of the combination, likewise r2, m2?

Redfire66 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the first part, using center of mass relative of the larger mass and speed of the smaller mass giving me an initial value of angular momentum during the first part of collision of 8.84×10-3 kg*m^2/s. (This is confirmed to be correct)
However the second part I'm having trouble figuring out the moment of inertia. I thought that since angular momentum is conserved, I would have L/I = ω
And I = Icm (relative to smaller mass) + m1r1^2 + Icm(relative to larger mass) + m2r2^2
It should be the moment of inertia of the puck with respect of its centre of mass, which is 1/2 m R2, with R the radius of the puck.

haruspex said:
Sorry, but I'm not at all sure what the above is saying. What do you mean by "Icm (relative to smaller mass)"? Do you mean the Icm of the smaller mass about its own centre? And what does "the distance from the center of mass relative to each mass" mean? Are you saying r1 is the distance from the centre of m1 to the CoM of the combination, likewise r2, m2?
For example
Mass1 --------------------------------CM---------Mass2
Obviously mass 1 is further away from the center of mass compared to mass 2.
Kind of confused on the concept of parallel axis theorem which I stated so I assumed that was how I was supposed to do it. I used the radius of the distance between the first mass and the com, and the second mass and the com, so I had, let's say d is the distance between center of mass and r would be radius of the circles
I = .5m1r1^2 +m1d1^2 + .5m2r2^2 + m2d2^2

Redfire66 said:
let's say d is the distance between center of mass and r would be radius of the circles
I = .5m1r1^2 +m1d1^2 + .5m2r2^2 + m2d2^2
That's right.

Related to Moment of Inertia about the CoM

What is Moment of Inertia about the CoM?

Moment of Inertia about the center of mass (CoM) is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is defined as the sum of the products of each particle's mass and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

What is the formula for calculating Moment of Inertia about the CoM?

The formula for calculating Moment of Inertia about the CoM is I = Σmr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the particle, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the particle.

What is the significance of the Moment of Inertia about the CoM?

The Moment of Inertia about the CoM is important in understanding an object's rotational motion. It determines how easily an object can be rotated and how much torque is required to do so. Objects with lower moments of inertia are easier to rotate, while objects with higher moments of inertia require more torque to rotate.

How does the distribution of mass affect Moment of Inertia about the CoM?

The distribution of mass plays a crucial role in determining the Moment of Inertia about the CoM. Objects with more mass concentrated closer to the axis of rotation will have a smaller moment of inertia compared to objects with the same mass but distributed further from the axis of rotation.

How is Moment of Inertia about the CoM used in real-world applications?

Moment of Inertia about the CoM is used in various real-world applications, such as in the design of vehicles, machinery, and sports equipment. It is also used in understanding the stability and balance of objects, as well as in calculating the angular momentum of rotating objects.